don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Also it seems they did not get around to the Sprite layering issue on Eggman’s LBZ flying away animation or the Death Egg Ceiling still being there at the end of the transition

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    Full patch notes taken from SEGA Asia Sonic Origins site: https://asia.sega.com/SonicOrigins/en/
    I might actually buy this now. Torn between Switch or PC…

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Vertette

Vertette

Hurray, they're listening!

4. corneliab

corneliab

...I'm genuinely surprised that the infinitely falling rocks issue in Marble Garden 1 is still here. I was certain that would get fixed since it's an obvious oddity that will happen to everybody every time, and I assumed it was a simple fix. I noticed that the ceiling in Sonic's Hydrocity 2 fight is indeed fixed though.

Really happy that this patch happened regardless. I thought it would be a long shot to get the removed cheats restored but here they are, along with some new ones. That's a real treat. Being able to turn off Super music goes a long way in making this version of S3&K more appealing, and I am soooo happy that got added. Although it's not implemented perfectly: the super theme will still start playing after sequences where the stage music is interrupted (by a boss theme, for example). So if you're Super after the Angel Island 1 boss torches the place, or when you defeat Mecha Sonic's minibosses in Sky Sanctuary, the Super theme will still start playing even if it's supposed to be disabled. Kind of an annoying thing to look out for.

That Death Egg ceiling is another one I felt pretty good about them addressing, oh well. Sounds like a lot has been done with this patch but there's still stuff that should eventually get taken care of. Hope that happens.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2022
  5. Xeeynamo

Xeeynamo

London
    They did not fix the bug on Sonic 3 & Knuckles where, if you double-jump with the electric shield in Angel Island Act 2 very close to the water, the water will remain white for the entirety of the stage. I am also surprised they did not fix the endlessly falling rocks on Marble Garden Act 1. Speaking of MGZ1, rolling at the very beginning of the stage still not lead you to the electric shield room like the original, but this is more a "different behaviour" rather than a bug.

Good news for the collisions: it seems that objects that previously caused death by "crushing" the player, it will now push the player of a few pixel away from it. This is the same behaviour of the original game. No more random deaths yayyy!

6. holy crap that bugfixes list is sick. They clearly have someone knowing that "General game stability improvements to enhance the user's experience." or what not wouldn't fly.
    All those new cheats for S3&K also look promising. This feels good.

7. Pengi

Pengi

Weird. I played it earlier and didn't get this bug. Is this after the first drill robot you see?

8. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    The bug usually triggers when you see the drill robot on the higher path.. it doesn’t happen if you see the drill on the lower path.

I didn’t get to play it yet to see for myself if they fixed it but that’s usually where it happens

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    EDIT: oh nevermind about that Special Stage, looks like a mod I used changed said special stage and I didn't realize it. Whoops :eng99:

Another fix I noticed is that resetting in Sonic 1 or 2 anyway after putting in cheat codes now retains the cheat codes you entered like in the original games, this does not apply to Sonic 3 however. Sonic 3 in general is interesting in that the HedgeModManager code that re-enable lives no longer works with Sonic 3, but it does work with the other games. So something changed there, curious as to what.

Also noticed they scrubbed life monitors from the debug listings in Sonic 1, 2, and 3. Guess they caught on to the infinite coins thing lol

Just encountered a glitch in Sonic 3. In Angel Island Act 1 if you don't push that rock enough on the lower path that grants you access to those 3 monitors, you can just barely squeeze through but then you can't escape either. So you're forced to reset. Looks like an unintentional side effect of the collision fixes. Also the remove Super music code isn't foolproof, after certain events like the AIZ 1 mini boss cutscene will turn the super music back on afterwards, but it'll fix itself by the next act. But that code wasn't foolproof in Mania either so eh.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  10. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    Seeing that list of bug fixes is quite promising, although there are still a number of issues (some that you can encounter almost every time) that still require some attention.

One particular example is that Sonic 2's 2P VS mode is broken due to the way stats are set on the selected characters. Instead of the selected character having their own stat values, the stats of 1P's selected character are applied to both players. For example, if 1P chooses Knuckles, you both get a lower jump height. I encountered it with a friend of mine in an initial playthrough, and it's still there, from 13:42 onwards. I thought it was due to the different physics, but it's not; it's a bug:

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic CD still requires you to enter the time attack menu and back out to force the extras in the extras menu to reload properly, that's annoying. Also resetting in debug mode does not preserve codes like resetting in Sonic 1 or 2.

But they did remove coins from debug :eng99:

Oh and for the Switch the sound mixing is definitely better now. I'd say after this patch, while there are still some issues, I can now recommend this game to people. Now this is a solid enough collection of the classic titles

12. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly, going through story mode and the missions will pretty much have you set permanently for coins anyway.

13. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I’m sad the patch doesn’t let you replay a completed save file. Mobile S1 & 2 has this option, so it’s puzzling that it’s not in Origins.

However, the new Sonic 3 cheats are awesome and I love how inventive and creative Headcanon were. But I wish they had been included as menu toggles. Having to remember the codes and input them each time is not the greatest experience.

They should have just had a shop where you can use your coins to buy these optional extras (it would have give the coins more of a purpose).

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The roll lock removal mod was already updated, yayyy lol.

Oohh for some reason some of the music mods from pre patch really break boss rush. In Sonic 1 it said the 1st boss was the Egg Drillster then the game soft locked. In Sonic 2 it loaded me in the Hilltop Seesaw mission, and in Sonic CD it loaded me in a Quartz Quadrant time travel mission. Getting to the end of either mission results in a soft lock, as for some reason mission mode sign posts function differently than actual sign posts.

Playing new blue spheres a bit and the perfect ring amounts are frequently way off.

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    I agree. All the deaths that made me rage are now gone, save the less stable emerald chase at the end of Death Egg Zone. This is a massive improvement, thank god and it now actually feels a bit more like the original title. Most of my speedrun capabilities are still intact (though some changes still mess with it, but that was always somewhat inevitable).

Overall, a solid first real patch. This should have been the game's launch condition and they need to just drop Denuvo on PC, but this is a good step towards all of that so far.

This is still a major complaint of mine, but seems to be a somewhat deliberate decision for whatever reason. I also noticed that roll lock is actually removed if you enable S3 monitors/abilities in Sonic 2's debug mode, so for some bizarre reason they seem to consider that part of Sonic 3's "physics" and have coded it that way deliberately. Some of their choices for this collection are very odd, but are too specific to be an accident.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That 00000000 code is intriguing, I'm not aware really of a ROM hack that's ever done this for S3&K (the Red Rings hack I guess counts for an earlier game). This is so far the one thing I'm actually annoyed about not being able to get Origins for.

17. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I mean SEGA have all sorts of weird mandates for Sonic so who knows. :P

Really though I don't get disabling the complete screens as they make a save file....WORTH KEEPING AT ALL and would make Origins' system more consistent.

[​IMG]

It would leave CD the odd one out but I feel like they could make an edit of the Time Attack menu for something similar.

18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ya, CD somewhat gets a pass for the unlockable time trials and level select, but really defeats the purpose of trying to beat Sonic 1 and 2 if you can't start with emeralds from the get go.

19. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I can’t say for sure if the collision’s been tweaked or not, because “I think it feels better” definitely isn’t solid tested data or anything (knowing me it could just be seeing what I want to see), but I can say that by the end of a FBZ run I wasn’t paranoid about the elevators anymore. Even shot back and forth a few times under the Elevator trap on that one route that sometimes does kill me on hardware

That said I am also thinking they may have at least fixed the issue where objects pulling away from the player would still crush you. Had some passes under those SPZ pillars where there was a pixel or two of overlap but no death

edit: just let one push me up into the ceiling just to check. Knuckles’ head made it a good two or three pixels into the ceiling before the crush death hit. I feel like that’s more forgiving than it was on launch right?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
  20. _Sidle

_Sidle

Finally gotten around to making an updated organized list of the Origins 3K sound test codes! If anyone has spare knowledge to fill in for meanings or TODOs, I'll go back and edit that in.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    • Like Like x 6
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List