don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    You can also join it via Ko-Fi donation, seemingly permanently.

2. RDNexus

RDNexus

Sorry, I wasn't going that way... ^^"
    I was just wondering if Discord members get any previledge to join the server, regarding Sonic lore and canon...

3. Levi Church

Levi Church

Icon art is made by FullmetalDubs Member
    I was just watching the Japanese Sonic Q&A, and unfortunately Mr. Tinker ain't canon yet. [​IMG]

4. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    So THAT is where that Sonic Labyrinth reference came from. Only now I knew this Q&A exists.
    upload_2022-7-29_0-13-49.png

5. Levi Church

Levi Church

Today's Bumblekast live stream is now set to private and won't go public until Monday, but towards the end of it Ian Flynn revealed that the unknown robot Sonic in Adventure 1 is now Mecha Sonic Mk. III

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  6. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Really? That is interesting.
    I didn't like the idea of him being the same robot from Sonic 2. But Ian thought that way; if this changed, something new must be coming.

By the way, I asked Ian at the beginning of the show if the two dimensions are gone and the classic games are the past again. He couldn't answer it because it's an upcoming thing.

7. Linkabel

Linkabel

I'm not sure if I'm imagining it, but hasn't he always been Mecha Sonic Mk. III?

Doesn't one of the Japanese guides name him that way?

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I don't think so? Because if I remember correctly, the robot from Sonic 3K was called Mecha Sonic Mk. II firstly in the Encyclo-speed-ia (I might be wrong though).

9. Linkabel

Linkabel

No, he's identified as Mecha Sonic Mk. II in the Sonic Jam guide.

The issue has been if the one in SA1 is a redesign version of Mecha Sonic from S2 or Mk. II from S&K.

But I do believe someone in this forum mentioned that it was actually a new one called Mecha Sonic Mk. III, and they got that info from one of the Japanese guides.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  10. Pengi

Pengi

I don't think the SA1 version was named at all in any of the guide books.

Sonic Jam Official Guide names the S&K version just plain "Mecha Sonic", but the descriptive text says that it's a second generation model (or something along those lines, I'm paraphrasing).

11. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Speaking of which, I don't suppose the Encyclospeedia shed any light on what's the deal with the S2SMS Mecha Sonic? Or Rocket Metal?

12. RDNexus

RDNexus

Isn't the 8-bit version of Mecha Sonic a parallel variant of the 16-bit one?
    At least I treat both as such, and S3K's version as Mecha Sonic mkII.

Also, SA1 Mecha Sonic looks a lot like S2 Mecha Sonic concept art.
    I always believed that one to be S2 Mecha Sonic, alongside Metal Sonic as blatant Easter Eggs to the classic games.

13. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    People are misinterpreting which Robot Sonic is being referred to.
    It's the one in the green tube in the Mystic Ruins Eggman base in Sonic Adventure, which is a mix of silver and grey. Image attached for reference.

This robot was frequently referred to by fans as Silver Sonic 2 or Silver Sonic Mk 2 but unless there's something really obscure I'm not aware of, it never had a name from SEGA's end*.

according to one post that was around here it was apparently likely created by someone who wondered if "Mecha Sonic" was supposed to be based off Mecha Godzilla, and pointed out the design similarities.

Since it was brought up that they finally decided what to call it I guess we know how soon it's going to be used.

*except in the Archie comics it was used for some reason but was (supposedly) used as the version 2 of a Silver Sonic line. I can't remember if the encyclospeedia said anything about it, though.

Attached Files:

• Ss2.png
      Ss2.png
      File size:
      308.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Yes, that's exactly what's being discussed right now. Who is misinterpreting where?

15. RDNexus

RDNexus

@shilz I think a dev (can't remember who) properly stated that Mecha Sonic was conceptualized around Mech Godzilla's design.
    Around that time, scans surfaced of Sonic2 concept arts. Even Giant Egg Robo was among those concepts, never seen before.

16. Levi Church

Levi Church

Orange Blues: What mark are each of the four Mecha Sonics? Only Mark 2 has ever been designated.

Ian Flynn: Uh, the Death Egg model in Sonic 2 is Mk. I, the one on Sky Sanctuary is Mk. II, and the one in ( yeah it's in Final Egg or Hot Shelter) Sonic Adventure that's Mk. III.

Kyle Crouse: Okay, and then where's the fourth one?

Ian Flynn: That I'm not sure, that little silver weird one from the Game Gear games I don't know if that counts.

Kyle Crouse: Well it should dang it maybe it's Mk. 1.5?

Ian Flynn: 1.5? Yeah I don't know.

Kyle Crouse: Maybe it's Mark uh Hamill. I don't know.

1:48:17

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

Why would Eggman build a mkIII to never end up using?
    That, to me, is nowadays' BS. Can't accept that logic ^^"

18. Levi Church

Levi Church

My assumption is Sonic did fight Mk. III before Sonic Adventure took place and it was just off screen. I hope Mk. III can appear soon in Scrapnik Island.

19. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Alternatively, it could be a case similar to Omega, where it was built, but never used against Sonic.

20. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

That's what I always assumed. Mecha's counterpart from the 8-bit timeline. But then Mania had the brilliant idea of canonizing him, muddling everything :psyduck:

I suppose if he has to be canon, my headcanon explanation would be that he was a prototype to mk I.