don't click here

Do you think a Sonic Adventure Remake is a good idea?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Snub-n0zeMunkey, Oct 11, 2019.

1. ELS

ELS

Fuck. No. Current team cannot match the soul and without the old writer it'll never be that good. Current voice cast is also awful for who the characters were.

2. I don't like the original Sonic Adventure. From what I've read as i've scanned the past 25 pages, that's an unpopular opinion.

Has anyone around here played the demo for Spark 3? I think that game pretty much nails what I'd want out of another adventure game as far as mechanics, level design, and almost controls. (By almost, I mean I don't think Sponic needs DMC combat) If LakeFeperd, the developer of the Spark series jumped on board of a SA1 remake, I'd be 100% for it. If he didn't? Uh...

People are talking about glitches and camera issues. Yeah, that's a problem, but there are far more serious things wrong with that game, in my opinon.

For one, and perhaps the biggest one, it's really shallow.

You can fly over and skip entire levels as Tails.

When there is platforming, you can usually quite effortlessly spindash jump over it, leaving the rest of SOnic's gameplay to be spamming the infinite spindash, which also makes slopes unneeded and irrelevant.

Exploration is seldom more deep and satisfying than turning the camera around for a few seconds and seeing some item boxes to homing attack. I can think of an example that is literally this in the very first level Emerald Coast, right at the beginning. I think a game like SRB2 does a better job at making exploration a bit more involved than that in a lot of cases.

With Knuckles you're just lying around aimlessly until a radar randomly goes off. This is the mainline game that came right after 3K where hidden things (the big rings?) are there as a reward for paying attention and knowing how to read the level. Heck, the game will literal tell you exactly where the next "hidden" object is (Tikal)

I mean, I guess Knuckles a missions were kind of fun. Find all the objects, restart for time, and plan out an efficient route to all of them to nab them in time. That was kind of cool, I guess?

I don't think I need to comment on the "boss fights."

There is absolutely no real incentive to explore the levels, which honestly don't provide as much of that potential as I hear. (I've seen some say it is more exploratory than 3K or even CD, and I'm just like "Did we play the same game?) Ironically, I think SA2 despite being more linear did a better job with that, hiding upgrades in the stages as well as the very existence of the find the lost chao missions.

The hub worlds are just a pace breaker.

Dude, tell you the truth, i enjoyed Amy most last time I bothered to boot up that game. Trying to maintain momentum (does she lose it every time she turns?) and having more involved platforming.

Also, for some reason, almost every character in that game except her loses a ton of speed when they jump, and so there's also that.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    So what you're saying is, a remake is a great idea to tackle all of these issues. :thatsrad:

4. Jimbo

Jimbo

Even with these points, I'd still love to have these games on modern consoles and with all the flaws they have it would be nice to have a game where I don't have to play as Big for an hour. Something "not being needed today" doesn't really make sense as right now we're getting remakes of the genesis games

5. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I don't trust Sega with a remake because they gave me lots of reasons not to. No remakes of the adventures, please because they'll ruin them.

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I really feel like some of Amy's speed physics are mixed up wrong, like she seems to run faster on an upward slope I think.

I do agree that Amy's levels are probably the most developed after Sonic's however, the one alternative character route that doesn't feel like an afterthought. Shame she only got three of them.

I don't mind the briskness of Sonic Adventure 1, I feel that is something that makes it feel closer to the original games, the main problem is that often the level design feels....unfinished.

Like Gamma just being a fast paced shooter works fine, but only Hot Shelter really takes advantage of that with a longer level span and a SLIGHTLY challenging boss fight making running out time even possible. Gamma's first two levels are pathetically short and just abruptly end, like it's where the developers just ran out of time. Windy Valley and Red Mountain feel like they only just reach what the first two should have been, fun but still short and easy practice rounds.

Knuckles and Tails needed more developed areas to take advantage of their abilities in an intuitive way. More creative hiding spots for Knuckles (without getting TOO obtuse like SA2 sometimes did) and replace a lot of the dash hoops for Tails with actual alternate routes. Big needed more actual platforming altogether leading up to the Froggy area, I don't mind his gameplay being more laid back but his fishing minigame does not make the whole level.

I also feel like there just should have been more levels altogether. Too much of the Adventure stories are just wandering from cutscene to cutscene, where I feel like an extra level during the more story pivotal scenes would have helped keep the pace going.

Let's say there was a 'launch base' type level for reaching the Egg Carrier base in the swamp, or a flooded Station Square level for the last story which Sonic had to pace through before reaching Tikal, giving SOME gameplay adrenaline to the final story between the mass of cutscenes before the final boss. Heck maybe even an actual level during the flashbacks where you trek around the ancient Angel Island.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  7. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Yes please, I'd welcome it with open arms.
    SA1, while it does have it's charm and I do personally think the game has some merit, it's a pretty clunky, dated mess. Only half the campaigns are actually good, the camera is just asinine, the controls are slippery, and the hub worlds are obtuse messes where any new player will have no idea where to go without looking up a walkthrough.
    I'd love to see a remake try and revitalize the game for a new generations of players.

also sa1 story voice acting and cutscenes suck balls and im tired of pretending they dont lolololol, i would like to see them try and fix it

8. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    Yes. Recently replayed Sonic's quest in Adventure and the only thing I could keep thinking is "if they fixed the physics this game would be an absolute classic"

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

If done by the right people with ample resources and time then an adventure remake is unquestionably an incredible idea. Could Sega, the company who has avoided slope physics for over a decade and who have mismanaged the two latest remakes, pull it off? I’m skeptical. If Iizuka were given the necessary time, staff and resources I’m sure it would be great. I’m just not sure if Sega would currently give Iizuka those things

10. In the scenario where everyone who worked on the original came back, and Sega actually gave the game the time and budget it deserved, then yea it would 100% be a good idea. May not be perfect and probably miss the mark, but what I mentioned would be a surefire way to at least gauge interest.

As it stands though? Naw, Modern Sonic team 100% does not understand the appeal of those games beyond a superficial level and Sega would simply rush the team to put it out for the holiday season. All of that would basically ensure the legacy of those games is tarnished forever. There's no scenario where I can trust them to not fuck it up, and I hate to see it that way, but that's where I'm at right now. I'd rather they just keep doing what they're doing and just never touch Adventure again.

11. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

Actually they're not remakes, they're remasters, BIG difference.

12. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    “Remaster” is just a buzz word that really doesn’t even apply to video games (it’s a music industry term). Calling Colors Ultimate and Origins remakes is definitely fair considering that they’re both developed using completely different engines than the originals.

Anyway, Adventure remake. The game definitely needs one, if done right it could be fantastic. Hell, as long as it’s not based on SADX it’d be preferable to all currently available versions.

13. VenomTH

VenomTH

I wonder how the voice situation would work. The voice direction is one of the areas that needed the most improvement in the original game. I'm not sure whether they'd use the old recordings like most remakes or make new recordings. And if they make new recordings, I don't see them going back to the old cast but I wonder.

14. charcoal

charcoal

They'd probably just rerecord the game. The SA1 voice acting certainly wouldn't fly in 2022, lol. The old cast probably wouldn't work out either just because it'd be impractical. They wanted Ryan Drummond for Generations but couldn't get him, Tails' voice actor hit puberty a long, long time ago, and Dr. Eggman's voice actor Deem Bristow wouldn't be available as he passed in 2005. I could go on and on as to why it wouldn't work but you get the picture.

15. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    The sad thing is, we will get this remake somewhere down the line, and we will hate it.

16. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    SA1 is a flawed game, but having grown up with it as a kid on the original Dreamcast it holds a special place in my heart. I just think that bygones should be bygones, it would take monumental effort to do a good remake, and we will never see that effort from modern day SEGA. I think it's best to just let the game stand on its own just how it was (warts and all) for future generations to judge in the context of when it was released.

SADX is fucked up and is not the definitive version of the game. Fortunately, fans have fixed up the PC version to be very close to the Dreamcast original, and I think that's how it should be. Preserve the original experience and let it be judged and experienced on its own merits. Now if only the job could be truly finished with the original cutscene camera angles and Lantern Engine lighting in tandem with order-independent transparency. I can wait.

I just think that any effort that is tantamount to making a new game should be directed toward, well, making a new game. Unrelated to Sonic, but two games I think should be fully remade are the original two MSX Metal Gear games. Bring them in line with the 3D entries, fully flesh them out, perhaps expand them beyond their original limited 2D gameplay. Even that would have to be a fan project, I don't trust Konami. I doubt you could get David Hayter to agree to an unofficial fan project (as much as he loves the fans, it'd be legally perilous), but maybe a convincing sound-alike would suffice.

17. charcoal

charcoal

Yeah, if it does happen the diehard fans of the game would probably bitch about it no matter what, even if it is somehow really good, lol.

18. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    This one is purely down to SEGA treating their voice artists like shit.

Drummond was invited to re-audition for Sonic Colours/Free Riders and he immediately was offered the role, but SEGA wanted him to leave his union. Ryan Drummond was obviously pretty offended by this request and turned down the role and Roger Craig Smith was subsequently hired to be Sonic's voice instead.

It's a shame that SEGA had to be like this. I would love to see Drummond officially come back to the role one day. I think it's pretty clear that SEGA don't treat their VA very well, especially considering what happened with Roger announcing that he was leaving the role and then that he actually wasn't. Makes you wonder what must've been going on behind the scenes.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  19. VenomTH

VenomTH

I expected a remake to use the original recordings but I suppose the voice acting is especially bad today like you mentioned. Re-recording the dialog with the original cast would be a distant possibility; Tails had three different voice actors in his first three mainline 3D appearances who all grew up, Knuckles had two, Eggman's original voice actor passed away, and I'm not sure if Ryan Drummond can even pull off a Sonic voice anymore judging from his recent performances in Sonic and Tails R.

It looks like SEGA has moved on from the original cast which saddens me. While I can recognize that everyone's preferences are different and that the Adventure games are flawed for multiple reasons, I grew up with these games and hearing the characters in their original voices just fills my heart with joy. No other voices sound quite right and I just wish we could get new games with the original voices. Deepfaking voices is a few years down the line and probably will never work perfectly with the sound quality we have now from the original cast.

Anyway, the most I expect of this remake is a disappointing product years down the line like I mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

20. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Why? I thought he was a pretty good Sonic in R. He sounded a bit more mature I guess but he still had it in his voice.

Let's not forget R is a fan project, actual game has a lot of staff working on the voiceovers.