don't click here

Should the Sonic remake train keep running and how?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by E-122-Psi, Jul 27, 2022.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

So now we've finally got all the original four Sonic Megadrive titles remade, do you think there's anymore Sonic games worth making polished remasters of, and which ones and HOW?

(I'm tempted to say count Sonic Adventure out of this, since it already has its own thread discussing this.)

2. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    Chaotix is the only one that ever needed a remake to begin with. The entire game needs an overhaul, but the assets can be kept exactly as they are. Reduce the act count to 3, maybe add one or two zones to compensate. You could turn it into a better game than Mania with comparatively way less effort.

EDIT: Oh and you only get to add new zones if I'm the one who gets to do the art. SEGA hire this man

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  3. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I dunno, the main issue with Chaotix is level design, and I heard SEGA is more finicky about that one. Sonic 3k's port suggests they have SUBTLE leeway (they could fine tune the cutscenes and some of the more sluggish gimmicks for example) but it would be hard to alleviate the total blandness of many levels without redoing their structure and adding lots of stuff.

They could maybe get round it by having an 'Encore Mode' that features rearrangements of the levels while a 'Classic Mode' keeps it as is. Encore can also be used to add in lots of beta assets that didn't make it in to spruce up the levels a good deal, like actual water for Marina Madness.

4. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The entire structure needs to be taken down to the studs. New physics, new level layouts, new gimmicks, totally new enemy behavior, no rubber band, sensible character abilities that afford characters access to certain routes. But the game gets to look and sound exactly the same, so that's 50% of the work done, right?!

5. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I’d say the Adventure games really kind of need remakes, especially Adventure 2. They’ve aged pretty poorly and would greatly benefit from a fresh coat of paint.

6. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

The thing there however is at what point would it be more practical to just make a Chaotix sequel rather than a remake?

I have a similar deal with one game. I'd unironically LOVE a Sonic R remaster. Just add the Improvement Mod's tweaks, add Reverse and Mirror modes to Grand Prix/Versus and maybe a couple more combative items. Already sounds amazing. Just one more vital tweak.

MORE TRACKS. AND A FAIR AMOUNT OF THEM.

This is where I'd wonder at what point it would be practically be considered as much its own game as a remaster (granted that didn't really stop Mario Kart or Crash Team Racing so what the hey :P).

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  7. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    The talent required to make a game prettier than the original is extinct in the wild. We've just gotta work with what we have.

8. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    A remake of SA2 would be welcome. It doesn't need a complete remaster or anything but touching up the places it's aged such as the sound mixing, shitty one button philosophy, and of course the camera would do wonders to make the game more enjoyable. Unleashed would be nice, too. It's technically playable on modern hardware using emulation, PS now, and backwards compatibility but those are all kinda band-aid solutions. What I'd like is a modern touch up of the game released for current gen with higher framerates and resolution, sun and moon medal requirements being reduced drastically, and higher quality textures and models would all just improve the game a lot.

Wishful thinking, though. We probably won't get anything beyond emulated collections for the time being.

9. I definely think Sonic 3D Blast would have a remake. Not just tweaking the gameplay (for better), but the visual for modern standards.

10. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I can hardly trust Sega with remaking anything at this point.

I might even shove a stick up my arse to save Sega the embarrassment.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  11. Snowbound

Snowbound

I would love to see the 3D Blast Directors Cut improvements ported over to the Saturn version. Tbc it’s prob a lot of work for little reward… but it’d be cool

12. If 3D Blast only had the same grapichs (and pace, kinda?) from SEGASonic the Hedgehog...

13. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Would love to see SegaSonic expanded into a full-size game with proper bosses and analog stick controls.

14. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    No more remakes.

Focus the budget and the teams' energy (Evening Star, Headcannon) on new, original stuff, of good quality.

Do, however, preserve the ancient ones (Chaotix and the SMS/GG stuff, and maybe the arcade games) through emulation.

I mean, just sell me fucking SegaSonic Arcade through Sega Ages for $10. I will buy it. And if we've figured out how to make that shit work with a controller on MAME, the billionaire corporation can too.

15. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Sonic 3D blast (flickies island) based on DX version, with 16:9 screen resolution, new animations, updated graphics (based on Saturn version), choosing OST between Gen. and Sat. versions, more secrets, "No Flickies" mode, and FULL demo OST as secret option..
    And fully compatible with 32 bit O.S.
    :psyduck:

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I agree that the Adventure games could use a remake to clear out all the jank, but my white whale is the Advance trilogy getting a remake in the same format as the TaxStealth remakes. Keep all the same graphics and such, maybe polish up some of the level design to remove the DIMPSism and put it in widescreen. The visuals themselves are some of the best on the GBA (though if done right I'd be a complete sucker for hand drawn visuals by Uekawa that uses the same animations) and, while I'd love to have the option of a remixed soundtrack by Jun Senoue and Tee Lopes, the originals still hold up very well. Finally, redo all the cutscenes as full animations headed up by Uekawa. These games ooze his style so much and man I just wanna see them be made accessible again.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  17. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I'd be all for an Advance 3 remake that fixed the level design. That game had fantastic mechanics, visuals and music, but it was ruined by the object placement. Such a waste.

18. Taylor

Taylor

This. Chaotix is such a fundamentally unique game that could've used more time in the oven. I don't actually trust Sega to pull it off, but I assume we're speaking hypothetically here :V

As for the Adventure games, I think they're too fundamentally janky to really be remade as is. I think you would need a FF7-tier "remake" to make it feel truly modern

19. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

My favorite remakes are the two Etrian Odyssey remakes on the 3DS. They take cues from the original for their themes and general concepts, but design-wise they're so redone as to be entirely new games. They're more like a full-on reimagination.
    If a Sonic game were to get redone, I'd prefer it to be like this. I think that the games in this series are generally so flawed that simply rebuilding with some improvements here and there (like the mobile remakes) honestly wouldn't appeal to me. I love Sonic Adventure for a lot of things, but really am not interested in playing through it unless it gets some serious overhauling done.

20. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I'd love to see the Adventure games remade, but on top of that, Heroes, Shadow, and 06 remade using the same engine. Uniform physics across the board. Maybe uniform movesets and character selection too. Omega in SA2. Big in 06. Silver in SA1.