don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    The only enjoyment I ever got out of the Chao Garden was kicking and slapping the little shits so I can’t say I’m disappointed.

2. Interesting Iizuka already knows what the next Sonic game is going to be. Although, not sure if he was refering to a mainline or spin-off game? If is mainline, wondering if it will use Frontiers for some influence.

3. Snowbound

Snowbound

He also said that he knows what the NEXT same game will be. I know the ending to the vid was a bit but it was still satisfying… I won’t spoil the ending for anyone
    Edit:
    Ninja’d

4. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Seems like a wasted opportunity. They could tie them into Frontiers as some kind of another Chao species.

For f*cks sake, why is it so hard for Sega to create a consistent lore in this franchise? The comics are doing it just fine, it's not so hard.

Also - cyberspace levels being created from Sonic's memory add fuel to my theory, that he's got some sort of amnesia, and Chaos Emeralds are needed for him to fully recover. Also, it makes sense - you start as underpowered, amnesiac Sonic. Just like Link in BOTW.

Give us back Chao Gardens.

5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I want to see Chao return just as much as the next guy, but them still being absent doesn’t mean the lore is broke…

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I'm glad they're not bringing the Chao Garden back. I wouldn't trust them to create more than a half-baked facsimile of what's being asked for. Like the classic Sonic gameplay in Generations and Forces, or the "more serious" story in Forces. Asking Sonic Team to take a new stab at something they've long since abandoned is like making wishes on a monkey's paw.

7. I think adding Kocos will probably adds more stuff to the lore instead, so I actually liked it.

8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I'll only say this once. I'm only saying this because I've been drinking on holiday. Haha.

But I think we as a fandom need higher standards. I know why people have low expectations. Sonic Team have consistently failed. But if all they are going to do is make bad games then we should just stop caring and go play something else.

We should expect better. We should expect great games and not good ones. If they put in a Chao Garden we should expect it to ne substantially better than the one in SA2 and complain if it isn't.

When DMC5 came out, people didn't expect it to be worse than DMC 3 and 4. They expected it to be better. And they should have done.

Again I understand why people have low expectations. It's probably realistic. But I really am of the opinion that if Sonic Team isn't going to put serious effort in one day to make the best 3D Sonic game yet then they should just stop making Sonic games and do something else.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Would you say God didn't create consistent Lore when he made cats and then foxes, who look similar, not the same creature? After all if something's similar it has to be the same.

10. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    >no Chao Garden

Good. Keep them far away from the main games and make the damn mobile app that you should have done 10 years ago.

11. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Why? It was optional in the Adventure games, you could literally just ignore them. What's the harm in adding it to a mainline game if it's not tied to progression?

12. Mookey

Mookey

The monkey's paw there is that they'll do that and it'll be on the same level of complexity as the Tiny Chao Garden, except instead of earning rings in-game or in mini games you accumulate them slowly over time or you can use real cash to buy them. :)

13. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Requiring finishing it to be able to play all the Sonic levels - the things I actually bought the game for - I don't call optional. SA1 yes, SA2 no. I don't believe it'd be 100% optional if it was done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    upload_2022-7-12_21-58-39.png

I wouldn't have pushed the button, myself. I'm not really surprised, but still, it's a bummer. I'd been hoping for a Mario Odyssey-esque character customization thingy that could make Classic unlockable, among other models/styles. SOAP shoes, Sonic's favorite outfit from the OVA, that sort of thing. Would've been cool! But, at least we'll have mods.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Honestly, pressing that button fits with Sonic Colours, I'd be OK with that.

16. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I would only expect a Chao Garden if the title of the game was "Sonic Adventure 3."

17. The Deleter

The Deleter

For what it's worth, Sonic Lost World was in a prototype phase during Generations' development:

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...on_bringing_sonic_lost_world_to_wii_u_and_3ds

https://www.sonicstadium.org/2013/06/tss-e3-takashi-iizuka-interview-pure-platforming-action/

Considering Frontiers has been in development for as long as it has, it's possible they already have the idea for the next game already queued up and ready to be developed once Frontiers drops.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I agree with you, fully. When Lost World was "the next Sonic game" I pretty much did just that: stopped caring and played other things. To this day I still have not bought Lost World. In 2016, though, the Mania trailer dropped and I was pulled right back into this shit. :V

We really should be able to see a new Sonic game, and just expect it to be quality. It really should just be a foregone conclusion that the game will be great, the way it was with Mania. But, like you said, it's not realistic to have such high expectations. Expectations are low because of the precedent that has been set. The developers of the current games aren't superfans. They haven't played the living shit out of these games. They don't know and feel what those who have played the living shit out of these games would expect in a followup. And I can't blame them, they may not have the free time to replay old games over and over again.

That said, I don't know that we can say that they aren't putting in a serious effort to make what they feel is the best 3D Sonic game yet. While we could talk about the talent of those making the games, and we could talk about the budgetary and time constraints placed on its development, the creators of the games might simply have a different idea of what makes for a fun "game-feel" and gameplay-loop than you, or I, or X amount of potential buyers/players. A matter of taste/vision, I guess. It's why I'd really love to see a list of Sonic Team's game designers' favorite games, games that impacted and influenced them. I'm just genuinely curious to see if, and in what ways, the games that they love might have an influence on the games that they make.

That said, I do like what I'm seeing with this one, overall. There are plenty of design decisions that I've called into question, and still maintain, but this is the most interested I've been in a Sonic Team-developed Sonic game since Generations.

19. I know you hate Sonic Adventure 2 and all, but this is pretty disingenuous. We're talking about literally a single level. You still have six Sonic levels and four Shadow levels for a total of ten, all of which you can play without even going into the Chao Garden once. So I don't really get how you can extrapolate that Chao Gardens are some forced game mechanic when, once again, you can literally just play the game and ignore them. And then use that as a justification for why they shouldn't be implemented...in game where the devs literally just said they weren't trying to force the player to do things they may want to do.

There's reasonable justifications for not liking Sonic Adventure 2, and then there's just being irrational.

20. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Believe it or not, that single level was a pretty big deal in 2001. It wasn't revealed or even teased that there would be a reward before release, SA1 gave you nothing for getting all the emblems, and we didn't know it was there until a few days later, when someone finally did it. And even then, nobody had capture cards back then, so all we had for a while were screenshots taken off of someone's TV. You had to put in a LOT of work (or just be lucky enough to have your Dreamcast connected to the internet so you could download a save file) to be able to experience that, and as short as it was, it really was something special.

So, I get it. I remember being perfectly willing to try and S-Rank all the stages, only to consider what a timesink it'd be if I actually tried to get all the Chao Emblems. Not helping the matter was the fact that Chao Adventure 2 was a pretty big downgrade from the first, and I'd thoroughly burnt myself out on Chao (seemingly to this day) back in SA1.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List