don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    As far as I know, there are ways around it, but I think he keeps trying to nerf/remove the hacks with each version.

He's created the best CD mod overall, but frankly, if I said what I thought of his soundtrack aloud and his attempts to force it, I'd probably be banned.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. MastaSys

MastaSys

Pretty much makes the mod unusable for anyone that isn't the author,
    and why bother implementing Amy if she's going to play just like Sonic?

It's a mod catered to one person and one person only.

3. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Nope. In the Sonic Central last year, they mention that Origins was coming "next year", as in this year.

4. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub

It is legit sad that this sounds better than the version we got.

5. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    No, it definitely does not

6. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I disagree. That version is quite horrid. The version in Origins is fine, just not *quite* as polished as the 1103 version.

I can live with ICZ and LBZ as they are, even though I know they could be a little bit better. It's that CNZ music that really makes my stomach drop and scream in my head "MISSED OPPORTUNITY".

Edit:
    Reading through some of the comments on the video, I'm clearly out of touch with those folks. Many of them shockingly seem to like this arrangement. Maybe it's the musician in me, but I think it's a major regression. But to each their own I guess.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    Eh, I can see why someone might prefer this mix, it's all a matter of taste.

But some of it's fueled by your usual internet contrarianism, where angry people will loudly proclaim any alternative is MUCH better than what we've got now. If Sega actually replaced the mix in Origins with this, I guarantee the backlash would exceed any negative reaction we've seen out of Origins so far, so I say they just GO FOR IT!

:ruby:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Honestly, this might be unpopular but I have 0 issues with the replacement super sonic theme. It sounds bad on it's own but actually playing the game, the contrast in styles doesn't bother me in the slightest and I think it sounds quite nice.

9. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Does Origins contains Sonic 2 special stage concept art in high quality? As I know, at this moment- we had a photo of book only

Edit: Oh, my bad) I was in wiki in February for the last time)
    778px-Sonic2_MD_Development_Levels4.png

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    There's a new Speed Strats video today.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I like how they acknowledged that well-known shortcut in CPZ2, even if it was probably unintended since it kinda abuses the slope jump physics.

12. Lurker

Lurker

sleep Member
    I would say it was good if it wasn't for the fact that it gives me bad flashbacks to Sonic 4 every time I hear it.

13. Vertette

Vertette

Insert that gif of the dog sniffing the cupcake here.

I've been playing Origins and it's giving a bigger appreciation of Sonic 1 and CD than I've ever had, funnily enough. Even with Origins' janky Drop Dash and occasional bugs, they're still worthwhile games to play. Screw CD's Special Stages though, whoever designed those deserves to only drink lukewarm soda for the rest of their lives.

14. Willie

Willie

Each day the world turns Laugh 'til it all burns Member
    I spent three weeks working on a video about Sonic Origins for @Overbound's new YouTube channel called Game Facts Special. This forum thread was an insanely valuable resource of information when I wrote the script to this video, so thank you to the Sonic Retro community for putting so much effort into compiling so much information into one place. I also made a blog post on Newgrounds that features the entire script. [LINK]

[​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I used to always think that was the shortcut everyone talked about with CPZ, and it might have been (I usually managed to do it earlier, before the water level even rises), before either some random YouTube video showed that side route to me or I picked up on it in the Sonic 1 and 2 strategy guide - which I was also kind of surprised to find watching random YT videos the other night was also present in the Simon Wai proto.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    #NotMyShortcut

I jump before getting there and go through the things that can drop you if you are standing on them.

17. Josh

Josh

Oldbie
    USA
    It's a fantastic example of the classic Sonic approach to level design. There are no less than four ways to progress:
    • Get locked in the vertical tunnel and jump out before you drown. The path that every first-time player will inevitably take, and it's basically a Skill Gate, requiring you to get good at platforming and timing to make it. Don't get squished!
    • Step toward the tunnel and let the water rise, then back up, spin dash off one of the twisty ramps and jump super high.
    • Time a ramp-jump earlier than that, just after the double-loop, and bypass the water entirely.
    • Use the secret passage in the wall to get up into the alternate route, which gives you an invincibility and drops you off right before the boss.
    I didn't know about that last one until I'd been playing Sonic 2 for literal decades. Man, I love these games!

18. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Fun fact, a lot of people don't realize it, but in 2013 (and now Origins) Stealth and Co. Expanded the hidden side route even further, adding a whole new section that wasn't even there in the Genesis version you access from the top of one of the loops and hiding a bunch of items in that route. Even on here, people almost never talk about it and I suspect not a lot of players found it.

CPZ2, HPZ1 both got extra Knuckles/Tails routes that very few players know about or even seem to mention. The Sonic 1 additions are a bit more known, but the Sonic 2 ones were a lot more fun to find, IMHO.

Compare the maps side by side and you can see the very obvious additions, but they're well hidden enough that most players won't necessarily realize what they are.

Genesis/MegaDrive Maps
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/2/27/S2_map_CPZ2.png
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/4/4c/S2_map_HTZ1.png

Sonic 2 2013/Origins Maps
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/4/49/S2_2013_map_2-2.png
    http://info.sonicretro.org/images/3/3a/S2_2013_map_5-1.png

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 18
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. Lilly

Lilly

United States
    Shang Mu Architect
    I like this version, as well, but I don't think it fits in with the rest of Sonic 3's soundtrack. Part of me wonders if it's hardware-accurate. (Most chip-based music you'll find on YouTube go beyond the hardware's limitations, even if they use trackers, Famitracker or Deflemask.) It a bit sounds too lively to be the case.

As interesting as it is, it might sound out-of-place unless the entire OST was composed in this style; I doubt anyone wants that for a remaster.

20. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Of course it's not hardware-accurate. It's a shitpost meant to replicate the Sonic 4 style.

But it (to me) sounds more natural this way.