don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly, I never would've noticed this. By this point, I always have Super Sonic available and no patience for Sonic bosses which force me to wait for an opening like this one, so I just keep hitting Eggman on sight until he stops attacking. :p

At any rate, this is a change I like. Looks like the boss will be less frustrating to fight when not invincible.

2. serpx

serpx

I've put in several hours into Origins, and overall I really like the amount of care put into the game presentation and the new cutscenes. I haven't seen all the cutscenes yet, but the ones I have seen, I love the quality -- was hoping for more cutscenes versus just intros and outros. Love the "coins" concept, and I SUPER appreciate being able to replay special stage levels (might be my favorite aspect of the entire collection). The museum is great too, gives me Sonic Jam vibes (wish it had the museum music).

And, I find myself unsure if I regret buying the game or not. Don't get me wrong, I am SUPER grateful for the opportunity to be able to play all these updated titles on a console versus a phone. Overall, does anyone else find themselves kinda burnt out from playing the classic titles? It's still fun, I guess all the thousands of hours I spent playing these growing up really has made chewing through these not as enjoyable as it once was.

To echo what many have said, Sonic 3's music changes is complete trash. I always thought the PC songs were trash, and they're still trash. There's also 0 reason to change Super Sonic's music, sounds like he should be wearing clown shoes. SEGA, buy your old songs back or w/e you need to do, please. Would pay plenty for a DLC fix on the music.

I definitely will be playing a bit more before I put the game down for awhile ( I've never beaten Sonic CD with all timestones, and now I can thanks to the coins function).

Ready for a Sonic Mania 2 or anything similar.

Edit: Top 15 in the world on Emerald Hill Zone. I knew I was good. ;)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2022
  3. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    If SEGA will he break the contracts, and will never invite Stealth to work on a new game again, does this mean that he will be able to leak us data regarding the development of games that he was shown? Like prototypes, concept art that we've never seen before... Philosoraptor.jpg
    Although, even if he has something left, I think not. I am sure he is a cool man, and he will not betray his ideals, no matter what grievances

4. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    There's reasons contracts, NDAs, and terms of agreements exist.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Yeah, that will never happen. He'd have to be downright suicidal to pull a stunt like that because he'd get sued up the ass.

6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Even on a personal level, Stealth probably wants to see these games working at their max potential even more than we do. Stealth himself is likely the best bet of that happening. Whether or not the bridge is already burned from his statements on release remains to be seen, but he is not going to intentionally burn it as long as there’s even a sliver of a chance he could be called upon for update support

Breaking NDAs on the material he’d have been privy to in particular is also a surefire way to ensure NO ONE ever hires him or contracts Headcannon again. Sega wouldn’t be the only company taking note of that

7. Snowbound

Snowbound

I think Stealth will tell us all the details… about 30 years from now.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  8. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Although, I think he has nothing to drain. Even if he has something left (which I doubt), then maybe only some concept art, and a couple of digitizers that he has already inserted into origins.
    Okay, let's change the subject.
    Screenshot_20220703-105021_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220703-105151_Google.jpg
    A coincidence? I DON'T THINK SO!

I think, it's a nice reference to a Gregg Martin's Sonic design:)

9. corneliab

corneliab

Whenever I think I'm starting to get used to the shitty new super theme, I come across something like this that puts me back at square one. My soul hurts.

10. Does anyone know if it’s possible to implement Sonic 3 items in Sonic 2? The level select in 1 still has the options but I don’t see it for 2.

The instashield’s disabling of the roll-lock makes the drop dash much more enjoyable in the first game, and I’d like to have that in the second.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Just play track 00 three times on the Level Select.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    A couple clarifications regarding modding the games:

Sonic 1, 2, and CD all come with official script compilers. Essentially, this means you can change the scripts of these games and basically do whatever you want. Anything that's possible with the decomps, is possible in Origins. Most mods probably aren't immediately compatible though, because those used unofficial script compilers, and the code would need to be adjusted.

Sonic 3K unfortunately does not have script compilers, so you can't change the scripts, and creating a decompilation of the game is practically impossible due to how big it is. It has about the same modding potential as Mania does - levels, music, sounds, sprites, etc, but any code changes will require some hacky outside-game methods.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie

Alright folks, I need Super Knuckles in CD stat. Get crackin'.

(This is actually excellent news, though. This means we could eventually get a set of mods that unify Sonic 1, 2, CD and 3K all with the same gameplay styles and features. Disappointing news about not being able to mod S3K, but I feel the first 3 games serve as an interesting enough base to at least offset some of that disappointment.)

14. _Sidle

_Sidle

I assume it's untouched from 2013.
    Play "00,00,00" in the sound test for an extra menu with shield options, among other things.

upload_2022-7-3_4-41-45.png

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yep, that method still works and the menu is unchanged.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Well there is also this fun thing called "nuance" which says you don't have to want exclusively one thing or the other.

It's possible to be fine with the already-included remasters, but to also think it would be cool to have some unlockable emulations. Not only does it give you something to work for, but it's completely harmless to include.

17. So, it seems it was once planned to give Azure Lake and the other Competition levels a full 1P-stage, according to this old YouTube-comment:

This Sonic Origins-project is starting to bum me out even more.

18. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Sonic Origins gives the 'Sonic was never good' crowd a new toy to play with

19. Oh, duh. I completely forgot that step was necessary in the mobile port. I played Sonic 1 much more frequently so I guess it slipped me. Thanks, guys.

20. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Just before the fight with Knuckles in Hidden Palace Sonic & Tails can now go left up to the start of the entrance into Hidden Palace when playing with Knuckles which we couldn't do in the original version.

[​IMG]

Another nice little change.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List