don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

Far as I can tell the roll lock in 3&K is gone, yeah, since it's built on top of Mania and the physics are basically intact from that altogether. I'll rather use the mod that removes roll lock from all games altogether, though, because it kinda breaks the implementation of Drop Dash in the prior games and isn't fun to play with at all.

Speaking of physics, did CD always let you bounce off of things while holding the jump button and then "stop" your ascent by releasing it? Because that feels really, really janky.

2. Deef

Deef

Yeah, the video I watched mentioned that the lock in 1 & 2 was a source of irritation with the drop dash.

Thanks for that. Annoying then for both of us that - with the drop dash added - they removed the lock from the one game that didn't need it removed (due to the insta-shield), but not from the 2 games that did.

They could have removed it from none of the games, or from all, or from only the first 2... but instead it's really the least appealing option.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    It looks like Sega might have... "borrowed" some of their museum images from the internet. Specifically the European promotional art from around the Sonic 3/Knuckles/Chaotix era and a couple of others.

I say "might" because I'm not totally sure what the original sources were - it might be Sega. But they're all scans, and aside from some colour correcting, the images seem to be identical, with specs of dirt in the same places. I think they may have been upscaled slightly though.

https://info.sonicretro.org/File:Sonic2_MD_US_Art_Bundle.jpg
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:Sonic_3_EU_promotional_Sonic.jpg
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:S2_sonic_tails_tornado_art.jpg
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:Chaotix_EU_promotional_Sonic.jpg
    https://info.sonicretro.org/File:Chaotix_EU_promotional_Knuckles.jpg

The vast majority of scans are from Sega themselves though. And again, these might be too.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Deef

Deef

This one I can't remember. I don't recall ever noticing CD doing rebounds differently, in which case I'd expect that you could stop the ascent as you described. But I got CD past its time so don't have that same childhood baked-in memory of how it works.

5. _Sidle

_Sidle

Define "things." I know the pinball flippers in CD'93 and CD'2011 let you shorten height as if you jumped off them with high speed (because you do!) unlike Sonic 2. Can't think of any other objects like that off the top of my head, but that one has always stood out to me as certified CD weirdness.

6. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    I see this as a win!

7. It's funny to hear what others had trouble with. I think my only real struggle was the Knuckles Marble Zone one that came with the DLC. That took a good 30 min or so. I don't recall having a problem with any Sky Chase ones, but I don't even remember what the goals were on them. My biggest issue was trying to speed-run the challenges from the beginning. If I wasn't getting an S rank I would just restart. I'm too much of a perfectionist in games. Outside of my initial play-through, I don't think I've even gotten past the second stage in Ikaruga since I quit as soon as I blow my chain lol.

8. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Ok, I’ll go tell that to myself five days ago when I made that post :p

• Like Like x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I haven’t really had many gripes with the Museum, mainly because I personally feel like it approaches Choosing Beggar territory (except the Chaotix ost it’s astounding how mislabeled they are)

but man

it REALLY sucks that the version of the CD ending they used for it is the one that’s three whole cuts shorter

so you can only see the whole Remaster in Origins by getting the bad ending in CD itself

10. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    It's cool they released more concept art. In the museum. The one from Sonic 2, with super Sonic gives me strong Goku Super Saiyan transformation from DBZ manga. I wonder if they tried to recreate that panel with Sonic.

Did Naka ever confirm that Super Sonic is Super Saiyan inspired?

11. RDNexus

RDNexus

Watching the Sonic CD cutscenes and the Origins cutscenes...
    it's so notorious how Origins has less fluid animation than CD ^^"

12. There’s zero chance that art isn’t a deliberate recreation of the Namek panel. Even if they didn’t start the piece intending it to be a homage, they all knew Dragon Ball enough to notice the similarity and would have either moved away from or leaned into it.

For anyone not familiar. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Sorry, was poorly worded. I meant if you would like to, there is some research compiled in the other thread on this topic.

14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    the Chaotix OST normally wouldn't phase me, but it kinda sucks that you have to pay extra and it's not even correctly implemented. iirc one track is actually doubled

15. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    1. Desert Dazzle also was kept inside Sonic CD, though not any further developed.

2. Mods are getting more comprehensive, including full replacements of music mods for all 4 games and a collection of sprite tweaks already dropping.
    https://gamebanana.com/mods/386116

3. I'm wondering if assets for Final Fever and Knuckles+Tails in Sonic 1 still made it into Origins somehow?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  16. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    We have it, because it just downgrade of mobile version. Nothing unusual, imo

17. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Actually, isn't the title card an asset that was never included in any previous version? Or am I misremembering?

18. Vertette

Vertette

19. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Digital Foundry video for Origins is out which has the good ol' version comparisons along with music and bugs discussion.