don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    an addition as well, that's where that "robotnik's devious traps" manual line comes from...the EN manual writers evidently had noticed all of Sonic 3's extremely buggy collision and tried (poorly) to give it an in-universe explanation.

There were also changes in during Sonic 2's development for collision reasons as well, such as Sonic's crouching hitbox not actually matching his collision hitbox and causing crushes in the CPZ block climb section, for instance.

Sonic collision has always been questionable, it's just that we're used to it. :)

2. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

So... is this a Dragon Ball reference?
    [​IMG]

This looks juuuuuuuust like the place Goku and Vegeta first fought, down the the shrubery and the teal to pink sky gradient.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  3. Beamer the Meep

Beamer the Meep

Better than Sonic Genesis... Member
    To be honest, I kinda thought it was a reference to that SegaSonic commercial on Sonic Jam.

4. Metalwario64

Metalwario64

Maybe but man, the colors and small shrubbery look bang on to Dragon Ball.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Snowbound

Snowbound

I definitely see the Dragon Ball influence however I think Beamer’s right:
    I’ve always enjoyed this commercial so this is a cool reference. The funny thing is that when I first saw that desert shot I thought it was a reference to Team Sonic’s opening cutscene in Sonic Heroes.
    5DEFAF65-1853-4459-9975-DB120DB8AF09.jpeg
    Now that I have Sonic 1’s commercials on the mind, I wonder if the location being talked about here:
    …Is a reference to the Japanese Sonic 1 claymation commercial of sonic in a city
    C8A23FCD-289A-4287-8FE6-8228E4047C40.jpeg
    Now this is a streatch… but it’s late so I figured I might as well post my baseless speculation before I forget it.

Regardless Tyson Hesse and Powerhouse really delivered on the animations.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

No I actually think you were right here; between the specifics of the color palette even beyond just the pink sky gradient, and the way the rock formations in the distance are drawn, it’s way more evocative of the DB scene than the commercial scene specifically

like whether it was still meant to be a reference to the ad or not i guess can be a separate thing? But the scenery itself was definitely drawing from Dragon Ball there

7. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Headcannon developed an entirely new collision system just for the game, as the collision detection in previous Retro Engine titles - for whatever technical reason I wouldn't know about - wouldn't exactly cut it for 3K. And this was allegedly the fastest way for them to tackle the issue with the little time they had.

I wouldn't know why this collision detection is so wonky or why it's hard to address, but I figure it would be in a much better place if they had more time to iron it out.

In somewhat related news, Mission Mode isn't half bad. Just got around to it for the first time and it's got some fun stuff. Still feels like a very average amount of content though considering I paid extra for he actually difficult missions.

Oh, and I now see what y'all meant about the final boss of S&K being incredibly finnicky. Feels like stepping on eggshells trying to hit the Eggmobile in the exact right spot.

8. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    When I killed Eggman in DEZ2 I slowed down when Eggman was above me, hit him, sped up until i arrived under him, slowed down, hit. Rinse and repeat. Atleast I did not fall to my death. Still feels weird to do it when I am used to do it in classics the old way xD.

9. Simon A.C. Martin

Simon A.C. Martin

Fixing railways
    Having started playing my copy, a few thoughts:

Origins versions of the original aspect games Sonic 1, 2 and CD are brilliantly handled on the switch. No issues whatsoever. CD may in fact be the definitive one after the mobile port, which has the edge as that was in widescreen
    I am not a huge fan of the anniversary modes, maybe I am too much of a purist, and would have preferred a widescreen option for these games instead
    The mission modes are excellent and great fun, I have been trying to get S rank in everything!
    Origins version of S3K suffers from the music issue. Sorry, it just does. I feel strongly that we could have had a definitive version and the bizarre music choices are infuriating (the original S3K super sonic theme, shared with super sonic, far superior to that we got as an add on. I appreciate the effort to make it but it just doesn't fit the game at all)
    menus are a nice touch
    tails control is great, provided he returns to the screen (in S2 he seems to get constantly stuck)
    I very much love the remaking of the sonic 2 special stages, but it feels like the difficulty has disappeared! I struggled with these as a kid so getting all the emeralds was a nice change
    Maybe I have been too harsh, maybe not, but I feel strongly that I am very happy with the collection overall. However the S3K music issue just rears its head too largely for me, it's so saddening that we have a mish mash when the core engine, levels and overall feel and look is just so right in all other aspects.

For the switch, I am very happy with it as a collection, for Sonic CD alone, but for S3K it is lacking. So close to a perfect collection.

If they make another with more of the missing titles (game gear, master system, etc) and with widescreen as the default mode with class rings/lives setup, I will buy it. But the music had better be correct to the original titles this time.

10. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    Having a listen to the new Origins Sonic 3 replacements, I figured out why they bug me so much:
    They remind me a bit... too close of crusty MS-DOS game music. Down to the weird sound design choices and volume nonsense. Now I'm feening for a even more rough OPL version of 1993 Launch Base. This one isn't enough.

11. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Please find the dedicated thread for discussing these here: https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1012775/

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  12. Snowbound

Snowbound

Do any of the Sonic 3 Missions use assets from the 2 player levels?

Given the fact that Headcanon had so little time to make Sonic 3 (meaning they did not have the time to make new levels) it would’ve been cool if the premium missions had unique aesthetics through using the 2 player zones, wood zone and sonic spin-ball level assets

13. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Unfortunately no. The missions were very barebones IMO, but I did have some fun. I wish there were a lot more.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I did love the missions with the exceptions of the sky chase ones. UGH HELL

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    The first Sky Chase was a cinch for me, but the second one? Good lord.

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea it was the 2nd one. That one took up like 40 minutes of my time whereas every other mission I ranked S on I got on my 1st or 2nd attempt

17. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion
    So I got through Sonic 1 & CD in story mode and all seemed well. But Sonic 2 is fucked - Tails is just totally broken so he's annoying you even off the screen.

Correct me if I'm wrong though, did they adjust the special stage ring counts in Story Mode? Because I would have serious trouble finishing them with Tails but this time I had no problem.

18. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I was able to get through the Knuckles part of Angel Island Act 2 as Tails, including the boss! Weirdly the cutscene from Sonic's area + Transition is triggered

19. Kyro

Kyro

The special stage ring counts in story mode are using the sonic and tails counts, at least as they were in the mobile port as far as I can tell. The remade special stages really are just easier with everything being so much easier to see

20. Deef

Deef

Haven't bought Origins so a quick question:

Regarding the rolling jump lock -- Sonic 1, 2, 3 & K have a control lock when jumping from a roll. Sonic CD & Mania do not. Sonic 3 allowed you to break that lock by using the insta-shield.

In Origins' Sonic 3&K, is that control lock still present before using the insta-shield? From viewing some video I was getting the impression that, in 3&K, the control lock is actually removed wholesale.

Hoping that's not the case. I liked that Sonic 3 feel of choosing/timing the moment you wanted to trade jump power for steering control.