don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Speaking as someone who has made clear that they’re entirely content with what Origins has presented, is it absolutely necessary to “introduce” the Master Emerald in the intro cutscene? Sonic 3 has visual story telling down pat anyway, and I don’t think there’s anything lacking from its presentation of the Master Emerald. It sits in the middle of the Chaos Emeralds within the shrine, collecting all the Chaos Emeralds lets Sonic curb stomp pretty much anything, so it stands to reason that it’s very important and Knuckles clearly values it. While I don’t think having it in the Origins opening is at all a detriment to that scene, likewise Black Hole’s take isn’t diminished by not having a specific shot of the emerald being physically present.

2. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Honestly, my primary issue is the location. It also contradicts the games in the collection as well: since they've ported the Sonic the Hedgehog 2 port, it includes the ending cutscene, where we see Robotnik in the middle of, at the very least, a field with some bushes.

But I'm one of those people that loves lore and continuity. Again, my fault is not with the animation, I love the animation, I want a series with this animation, but it lies with the story, for which I think Ian Flynn is at fault, since last I checked he was the one writing the stories between the games.

Also, stopping the spoilers since it's been out a day now, and they aren't exactly long games :V

3. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I mean I always figured that screen was just a homage to the S3 manual cover. With that said, thinking about it now, it is weird that Eggman does end up in the Master Emerald chamber when the Death Egg presumably crashed down in what became Launch Base Zone the first time it did so.

4. RDNexus

RDNexus

Yeah, true story. Even I failed to notice it. Quite the oversight. Eggman should be somewhere close to the first crashing site.
    In that sense, @BlackHole's animation ends up being more spot-on than Origins's S3K opening cutscene.

5. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Maybe the Death Egg Robot, with Eggman still in it, flew out of the Death Egg and into the volcano, crashing in Hidden Palace.

6. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Yeah, at this point it should be in the (what I assume from the manuals description of impact) crater that floods for Launch Base Zone.

When the crazy person turns out to be right...

By the way, you didn't answer my prior enquiry?

I'm curious as to the stipulations, y'see.

That's a hell of a trick shot, since it also means he avoids the active magma of the much larger Lava Reef Zone for the Hidden Palace Zone.

7. RDNexus

RDNexus

I left the question purposefully open to your interpretation.
    I have no specific scenes in mind, I leave that up to you xD

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I'll do as I please, then, since the animations pretty much do an excellent job introducing everything as structured now. So prepare for that :V

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sorry, don't mean to double post, but want to get this thought out the way:

Knuckles trusts Robotnik when he meets the man. Is that because he's the first individual he's met, or is it because he's Human?

Sandopolis Zone and the Echidna Ruins of Sonic Adventure 2 seem to show that at least the desert based Echidna had a good relationship with Humans, since they're depicted all over, and two guardians of those ruins, the Guardian and the Golem (later Egg Golem, sharing a name with the boss of Sandopolis Zone Act 2, funnily enough) look like Humans.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So was it just blind naivety, or was it Knuckles assuming the Human was trustworthy due to Humanity being visible in Echidna ruins?

EDIT: also to note, I know Sonic specifically appears in Hydrocity Zone, but the Humans seem to be more widespread in comparison.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
  10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I wonder if Sonic in Hydrocity is meant to be anything more than an Easter egg or not. The Super Sonic mural really makes me stop short of believing outright that there’s nothing to the statues in Hydrocity.

11. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    My guess is that Knuckles new that Sonic and Robotnik had some importance to the fate of the master emerald but only had vague murals to go off. He chose what he thought was the right side based on what information he had. The hidden palace mural shows a super aura around Sonic and Robotnik with the master emerald, this could be interpreted as Sonic using the power of the master emerald and Robotnik trying to stop him, saving the emerald.

The human murals are certainly interesting as well... I wonder if that is one of the reasons the two worlds got scraped.

12. RDNexus

RDNexus

Now that I think about it... How about the Sonic2 intro?
    Depict the japanese manuals events rather than the western ones.

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I was planning on all four intros and outros, so yeah can do. I've checked, the intros are generally about 40 seconds long, the outros are about 25 seconds, debating on limiting myself to these timeframes or not.

14. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Given these are born from a critique/dissection of the originals, I think it’d be interesting to do your own takes on them while keeping to those limitations. I imagine it’ll also deepen your appreciation for the originals, which is never a bad thing.

15. RDNexus

RDNexus

And gives you a chance to show others how you view such scenes/moments of each game. Good luck.

16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    So Sonic Labyrinth is canon.

Quote "Oh, and speaking of shoes, Eggman used to replace my shoes so I couldn't run or jump. I still beat him, but I like all shoes except for that one."

Anyone else want to fite me on the Game Gear Games being canon?
    (I joke)

17. RDNexus

RDNexus

I wouldn't count that one as clarifying canon of something...
    Despite him making that addendum after properly answering the question.
    Even something that may be fun to reference, some people may make a bigger deal of it (in my opinion).

By the way, are those Q&As done in real time?
    If yes, then Kanemaru knowing all that stuff about the franchise and managing to portray Sonic that well is quite the feat in itself ^^"

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I mean, we take Tails Tube as a source of canon information, and it's coming from the Official Sonic Twitter of Japan. I don't see why this would be any less. They also used the Game Gear South Island for the former.

19. RDNexus

RDNexus

Well, when it comes to maps, at the time they only had that one image of South Island.
    So why go out of their way to produce another map? Just use what's already at hand xD
    It seems to me they purposefully use images from prior games so as to reference them.

Anyway, now they have 3D versions of the islands, from Origins, so they may use those.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    They also use a still from Sonic Origins' animated cutscenes for West Side Island: they could have just used the 3D base island model from that.