don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I wonder how difficult that'd be to reimplement. Also curious how much of encore mode is intact? If that partner swap could be reactivated that be just fantastic (add Amy and make the feature universal somehow and there, instant story mode encore, i wouldnt mind that as dlc to be entirely honest). Ughhhh there's so much hidden potential in this collection Sega just borked its infuriating.

Well all these finds definitely means I'll be getting the PC version once a sale comes about.

2. RikohZX

RikohZX

I actually died like, five times on the CNZ1 boss because of the crushing problems with Retro Engine. It's all too easy to mess something up and instead of just taking a hit the platform instantly kills you for daring to be in its proximity and the floor/wall at the same time.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    It's also very easy to die when chasing the Master Emerald after the Giant Death Egg Robot Boss. Sonic can no longer keep up with the crumbling platform as easily as before. Hit Eggman at anything less than the perfect angle (only near the front of the capsule) and you die very easily. It's majorly frustrating and was never like that in any prior version.

5. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Having experienced the less likely but still possible crush death in the original game, it made me adjust how I handle this boss and make sure I don't put myself in a position where that spike top can hit me on the head.

This happened to me too lol

6. This was a huge problem for me and never used to be. Technically you have a wider space to run on thanks to the widescreen, so idk what the hell happened there, but hey- at least the final segment of the game is actually tough-as-nails challenging now lmao

7. Linkabel

Linkabel

I kept the flame shield for that, helps you catch up when you fall behind and you just jump normally directly below him so he won't send you flying into the abyss.

8. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    One thing in the new version of 3K which has caught me by surprise is badniks arriving a lot sooner than they do in vanilla 3K, causing Sonic to run straight into them taking damage because I wasn't expecting them to be in a certain location. This happens in pretty much every zone.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  9. RikohZX

RikohZX

There's one particular spot in Carnival Night where a Clamer will always fire from just off-screen because of the way the AI triggers more quickly, and because of the timing of the floating platform design in that spot, you're almost guaranteed to take the hit if you don't intentionally slow down ahead of time knowing it's going to happen. Or if you kept a shield.

It's right next to a checkpoint, if I remember right, so one can pretty much test it once they find the spot.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
  10. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    We had a National Geographic photographer come to our class in high school and he said the best way to back up photos is to print them out and put them into a box.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

I found an effective strategy was to bounce off the right side of the screen and pinball into Eggman, this preserving momentum.

12. Turbohog

Turbohog

Honestly the collision is so bad some times that I don't think I can even consider these versions the games definitive. I'd rather have no widescreen than be crushed unfairly all the time.

13. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Wait, you all considered calling these the definitive versions?

14. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Some of us don't care about purity as much as others (I'm one of them, I don't care if it's not 1:1, at their core they're like 90% there with more features and QoL improvements).

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Turbohog

Turbohog

Well, I used to consider the mobile remakes definitive in some sense. I just never played them that much since they were mobile though. Now that I'm playing it again, the issues are much more apparent. Sonic 3 AIR on the other hand, is the absolute definitive way to play Sonic 3 still.

16. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    The definitive way to play Sonic 3 & Knuckles is a model 1 Genesis with 32X to clean up the composite and a good CRT. Set the volume slider to about 7-8 on the Genny. Don't forget the official 3-button Genesis controller x2 for extra authenticity. :eng99:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. RikohZX

RikohZX

And HedgeModManager codes got updated so lives are re-enabled in Anniversary. Plus we've got a mod to turn off Roll Lock in 1&2.
    https://gamebanana.com/mods/385827

Modders fixing what Sega refused to.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I'd say Origins S1 and S2 are CLOSE, all they need are the neccessary bug fixes and maybe widescreen for classic play with lifes/continues. SCD and S3K are more complicated but even then are decent (CD is still probably better than the PC and Gems versions).

I'd say on paper at least the mobile remake S2 with controller support and split screen is top notch, since I feel that one in particular came closest to fully realising what a 'fixed' Sonic 2 would be (eg. a beta level revived, VS mode fully realised, Tails flying, more fluid special stages, Knuckles with the same options as everyone else).

Besides bug fixing the thing, I think the only noteworthy extensions left to S2 not added are more beta stuff like Wood Zone or split screen co-operative, and I wouldn't call much of that fundamental.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Anyone wanting to make the definitive edition of SK Collection can do it now.
    All it was missing was a little Sonic 4

20. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I'd consider these the definitive versions...assuming mods can accomplish things to the same level as A.I.R.

So far, that hasn't happened yet, but time will tell after a few more months.