don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Why exactly do we need an Nvidia graphics card to play these classic games?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. RikohZX

RikohZX

And Windows 10.
    Because the collection is using Hedgehog Engine 2 as a backend for the whole thing.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    This is more likely, as I'm fairly certain no "voice actors" did those voice samples. More likely, they were done by the developers themselves and absolutely would not have any rights to them.

4. CaseyAH_

CaseyAH_

human incarnation of Palmtree Panic 'P' Mix Member
    Masato Nishimura voiced Sonic in CD if I remember correctly.

5. ELS

ELS

I finished story mode, used every coin I could and I gotta say. I expected that the mod community would have to step in to really make it definitive but I didn't expect to need them this much.

6. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Apparently, Egg Gauntlet and proto palace's assets are fully in the game's files.

• Informative Informative x 13
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

You need a graphics card to play a game on PC. Nvidia is just a manufacturer of GPUs. Not some high end maker. Same goes for AMD. This seems like a weird thing to say.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  8. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I don't think so, because Tails at the very least does speak, so why would they have Amy mute?

9. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    The bug report thread has been referenced to on Twitter, Reddit, a few gaming forums and in articles by The Sonic Stadium, VGC - Video Games Chronicle and a few other places.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  10. Prototype

Prototype

Who wants to bet that the usage of the "Hedgehog Engine" was some kind of corporate mandate to justify keeping Sonic Team on the payroll?

I don't know. It's all so weird. This wouldn't have been made or released had Mania not been a smash success, but it's like SEGA intentionally goes out of their way to give you exactly what you don't want or at the very least seem to consider Sonic to be a marketing brand first and a game series second.

After Mania came out, didn't the new SEGA President (or whoever) make some big corporate statements about no longer rushing products at the expense of quality?

It's like Sonic got popular again because of a great game (Mania), and just like with Sonic 1's success the marketing team pumped out a load of crap with Sonic's face on it, including the Paramount movies, to the point where the brand becomes diluted, loses any semblance of identity, but then still has to exist in game form as some form of lip service even as nobody understands anything about the game.

So a crappy rushed game comes out, the Sonic Cycle perpetuates itself, and SEGA never figure out why the classic style games have such a fanbase and have survived so long. But hey, it doesn't matter, because look, we're buggily aping another Nintendo game and have another Hooters promotion lined up.

Is this borne of incompetence on SEGA's side?

Is this another East vs. West situation where Japanese businessmen hate creative control being centred elsewhere, not because it reflects badly on the series, but because it reflects badly on their job security? They were hesitant to even mention Stealth and co working on it when interviewers asked them specifically.

Would it bug the JP Devs that despite all their work within a rushed system that treats them poorly, some outsider fan Devs come in and get celebrity treatment to a degree? Or would it bug the execs? Obviously this question is less of a case than it was during Mania, but it's easy to see developer rivalries potentially occuring.

Or is this just that the dusty executives making decisions at SEGA have zero understanding of gaming and were simply employed to streamline slapping a blue hedgehog onto plastic merchandise like an angsty Hello Kitty?

Or, in fairness, am I just a bit of a dramawhore who gets irrationally angry at a billion dollar company for not tailoring the rolling blue hedgehog experience to my specific autistic tastes?

Nah, can't be that last one.

In any case, I'll skip playing this. There are a million other ways to play these games in better quality for a fraction of the price. You'd think that if you were trying to release a "definitive compilation" for sale you'd at least try to do better than free fan projects.

Only decent thing I've seen was the animation. Now watch as people rip the animation files and insert them into Mania mods rendering Origins useless.

I'll leave with one final thought that really boils down the incompetence in a funny way.

We expected quality from a game meant to show Sonic's origins, a game where Sonic collects coins.

Sure, technically Mario was the origin point for Sonic, but you don't want to remind your customers of that.

11. Battons

Battons

Shining Force Fan Member
    This is really interesting, is it currently accessible by normal means or only by untraditional ones?

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    The above video is a mod that (appears to) restore both.

13. Sega should just add this in an update for the free good press

14. You don’t necessarily need a “graphics card” to play a game, but you do need a graphics processor in order to render anything - game or otherwise - on the screen. Different levels of complication may require different levels of power as far as GPUs go but all computers include some form of GPU, whether it be a low-powered discrete card or a chip embedded within the CPU itself. Heck, some old games rendered “in software”, entirely within the CPU.

The core games are quite old and originally ran on a Motorola 68000. We were emulating them on 486s back in the 90s. The need for a dedicated GPU is understandably perplexing to some. The reason for it is the 3D portions of the UI, which run in the Hedgehog Engine (for some ridiculous reason - no reason those islands shouldn’t be simple enough to be rendered by an Intel iGPU from the last five years or so.

15. Fadaway

Fadaway

I haven't had much time to post my recent thoughts. But here goes. I appreciate the work that went into making this project. The animations are great. I love the little details added like that one transition. That was honestly unexpected and I am really happy about it. The music replacement in S3K isn't ideal obviously but I respect they got Jun to recompose them at all, regardless of the results there. Considering everything else, they're manageable. I didn't like the PC MIDIs really but the prototype versions ended up sounding pretty solid and I was able to warm up to them. Yes, the prototype versions do sound better than this so it is a bit of a bummer but I respect the fact they even brought Jun Senoue onto the project in the first place.

However, after all the glitches have now come to light, my opinion on the collection is much less positive. I don't blame Simon at all for complaining on Twitter. After all, if the glitches weren't his doing, it makes sense to point that out publicly for his own career, with or without SEGA, lest he gets scapegoated for all of that. If you're part of a project that ends up having glaring issues that weren't your doing, you most definitely should be vocal about it.

I am not sure if it's known or not at this time that additional patches may happen and course correct, but here's to hoping. I will probably buy it in the near future to at the very minimum show support for Simon, Tyson, Jun, and everyone else along with the franchise itself, but it sadly won't be the best version of S3K. At least I can still play Complete and A.I.R.

16. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Yes, I know. But in museum- zone music's titles was translated. Just a cool moment.
    Anyway, does someone can extract new S3 sprites from game data? And big arms music is like original, or it had a final part, like in S&K collection?

17. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Aaaaaaall right. So, it's day 2 after release and I have completed the story mode with all 6 emeralds in Sonic 1, all 7 emeralds in Sonic 2, all 7 time stones in Sonic CD, all 7 emeralds in Sonic 3 and all 7 super emeralds in Sonic & Knuckles. At the end I had 658 coins.

It's a bummer the collection is so plagued with issues but damn, it was fun to complete all these games back-to-back.

18. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    If the language is set to Japanese, these messages come up when the game is started up before the SEGA logo. (PS4/PS5)

Epilepsy/Health & Safety Warnings?

E72AC68E-D466-4ED5-8E39-DEFDD30E057F.png 5472113A-7354-4E9C-BF59-F1E1E51E8255.png

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Nik Pi

Nik Pi

Kazakhstan
    Sonic 2: Archives
    Left- copyright,
    Screenshot_20220626-090014_Chrome.jpg
    Right- epilepsy
    Screenshot_20220626-090204_Chrome.jpg

Last edited: Jun 26, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  20. No, it's something about the game accessing the internet and downloads.
    Sorry, the 2nd one is the health warning.