don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RDNexus

RDNexus

So, one way or another, Headcannon was screwed?
    If that's so, then it's a way too unfair of a situation.

Staying quiet would cost them credibility with fans.
    Having spoken now, bridges may burn with SEGA.

Given the case, well, let the devil come and choose.

2. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Actually, hold on. Why are we attacking Stealth over this whole thing? Since when are whistleblowers the ones blamed for starting a fire?

Imagine if any other employee or contractor called out a business for misconduct and abuse on twitter. Is the appropriate reaction really "Oof, they shouldn't have done that"? Doesn't that kind of undermine their whole point?

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  3. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    The way Origins has been managed as a new MD project (and the circumstances involving Taxman/Headcannon's involvement) is probably best summarized by how much it flies in the face of Mania's management; particularly with the promotional attitudes on display.

When Taxman, Headcannon, and PadogaWest Games were revealed to be the developers of Mania, it was proclaimed with pride from the the premiere trailer, and (rightfully) treated as a big deal. Yet despite Mania's success and how well-regarded the mobile remasters are. We didn't even know until the 11th hour (two months before release) if Taxman/Stealth's work would even be used in this collection, let alone whether they would be participating in Origins' production. The use of the mobile remasters and HC being hired to remaster 3&K may as well had been an afterthought in the marketing.

It really does make the circumstances involving Mania's production a true exception to the norm. Can you imagine the Sega responsible for Origins allowing Taxman, Headcannon, PWG, Evening Star etc. the freedom they were given to design Mania as they mostly saw fit? Or even greenlighting Taxman's Discovery pitch in the first place?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  4. Snowbound

Snowbound

I’m honestly left wondering what the fuck happened to Sega over the last couple years... like they weren’t some incredible company in 2017 w/ them including denuvo in Mania.... but they saw the value in mania (wasn’t mania even delayed for quality), it seemed like they treated the Mania team with respect and eventually took denuvo out with plus.

5. RikohZX

RikohZX

I think a major part of it was that Iizuka himself seemed to have a direct conversation with and oversight of Mania, as if it was a sub-Sonic Team project. Especially given it had the major right to directly tie into their game Forces at the time. Meanwhile Origins was always a side product, an intent to cash in on the success of the films and seemingly scuttled off to the side with no real direct involvement with Sonic Team as far as I know besides Jun Senoue.

A lot of this overall story reeks of Stealth and the team having to be treated like how Sega treats basically everything that's a side project: with apathy, crunch and a product-churning work cycle that is nothing like what the Mania project was like.

But this is all assumption and conjecture off of context that I probably don't even have a full story on.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I think it’s worth noting that from the way Stealth made it sound, he’s friends with Iizuka. So I wouldn’t doubt that Iizuka’s vouched/fought for him behind the scenes.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List

7. Yeah, I've always seen the problems of Sonic's handling the past few years due to poor management and probably lack of decent budgets, not the devs themselves

This may be a bit controversial on here, and I'm speaking after a few beers, but what exactly has Izuka done as director in recent years that's been outstanding? Might sound harsh but it might be time to pass the baton to a younger director with fresh ideas.

8. RikohZX

RikohZX

Iizuka produces, not directs. Morio Kishimoto is the one that's been directing the past decade, though Frontiers is the first time I've really seen anything showing him talking on a project directly for interviews and such.

9. jotenko

jotenko

We all wanted a Mania 2. But Origins was announced.

So... for some of us, this is like the 5th time we are playing the same Sonic 1 game:

Sonic 1, Sonic Jam, Sonic GBA, Sonic Mania (some acts), now this.

Even though we are tired of revivals again and again, everyone would be kind enough to let it go in Origins had we got unified pixel part, transitions, scene changes across acts, elemental shields in Sonic 1/2/CD, you know, a sense of unity gluing all the classics into a big game. Small things, that would give you a new experience.

You get nothing of that. Some 10 second long animations. That is it. And, on top of that, you lose some of the most iconic music.

(Note that I am not even getting into the numerous glitches everyone talks about. New glitches on 30 year old games.)

Price? 40 bucks.

SEGA doesn't care about classic Sonic. They care about making all the money possible milking it.

Mania was the exception. Not the rule.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    I think the many issues here all stem from a lack of development time and most likely budget. I have a feeling Origins was announced before they even started development or even knew how they were going to handle S3K. This seems like something they just sort of figured out as they went. Unfortunately, SEGA wanted the game out by Sonic’s birthday for whatever reason, and it’s not like any of the devs themselves are in a position to decide to delay it. I’m sure the Sonic Team devs who worked on it aren’t much happier about the state it’s in than Stealth and co. are.

I’m not so sure that the current mishandling of Sonic is due to one specific person rather than the system as a whole.

11. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Again I've got to ask.

Other than the stuff only major fans of this series care about and the PC issues.

What about about Origins could be considered reputation damaging?

I've seen some argue on twitter that the game is outright broken and... wut? No it's not.

So... What's wrong with the game?

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    No no no. You're not doing it right. Not nearly enough teeth gnashing. Get with the program! :argh:;)

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?threads/sonic-origins-known-issues.41063/

Try 7 pages worth of bugs (some game breaking, nearly all of which were not in previous versions) in the first 48 hours of launch.

Just because you happened to get a good playthrough doesn't mean the rest of us aren't having major problems. And we're good at these games too. Less skilled players will have a worse time in many cases and will have uneeded hits and deaths too.

Not to mention undoing things like the remastered Sonic 1, 2 and CD soundtracks, removing fun little bonuses like proto palace, little Sonic CD quality of life details like the Sonic 3:00 minute game over trick, and other more fun stuff.

This version of Sonic CD is now objectively worse than a 5$ version they delisted for no real reason. At best, it has a half-assed dropdash implementation and restoring the lyrics to the JP OP/ED back, but they also messed up the timings of those songs too and didn't implement the cutscenes correctly like the Tax remake did either.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  14. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Tails constantly jumping off-screen in sonic 2, Marble Garden’s infinite debris, and the graphic mistakes on Launch Base’s ending and the chance for the electric shield to white out the under water palette are just

embarrassing I think is the word for it

All bugs that didn’t have to be there if they’d given headcannon and Sonic Team the proper time for development and implementation

15. Snowbound

Snowbound

A PC game crashing when you try to open it is kinda reputation ruining. It seems to me that Stealth wrote his comments that the way he did to very clearly draw a line between the Headcanon Sonic 3 remake... and the rest of Origins.

16. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Man

I'm playing through CD with the American soundtrack and they absolutely butchered the loops. Like the songs will lose the last 10-15 seconds just to loop back about 15 seconds in. Just copy the files straight over from the other game why you gotta do shit like this Sega? Why was meddling with all the music integral to this game's completion?

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa you can't just do that to my first video game ever guys

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    Who exactly is attacking him?

18. Absolutely no one lol. I was also confused.

I think he is referring to how people here are calling into question whether or not it was appropriate for Stealth to make the comments he did on Twitter.

19. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    Nah, that was always a thing, I think.

20. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    You're missing the point of what you're directly replying to.

The question is "what is reputation damaging about this". Forget that you're a dedicated fan good at these games. Is random joe going to know that things like "proto palace" are gone? Is he going to go "Sega ruined Sonic" because dropdash isn't done right?

You don't have to excuse Sega for this stuff. But you need some perspective on it too.