don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Sega’s new motto should be “we’ll find a way to fuck it up”

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. John Chrysler

John Chrysler

I think everyone here should take a break from this thread for a while and calm down before someone says something stupid.

3. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I believe (or at least certainly hope) that this is less about defending SEGA and more coming from a place of concern for Stealth and Headcannon. I think what he’s said is absolutely valid, but may also be a risk to his career. Sometimes doing what’s right is not the same as doing what is popular or easy.

4. Exoticus

Exoticus

Ignoring some of the controversy for the moment.. I am about halfway through the S3K portion of story mode and I am pleasantly surprised with with the visual polish and upgrades they snuck in here. There's the obvious stuff that other people already pointed out like a complete Super Sonic sprite-sheet, and the addition of new crouching and looking-up sprites while on the infamous barrels (which, might I add, is a pretty nice touch as a hint on how to control them!). However, there's also a lot of subtle stuff I noticed like them using the full rotation running sprites for the Marble Garden top, the addition of Sonic looking up while riding the Launch Base teacups, smooth rotation on stuff like the Angel Island ziplines, lots of tiny stuff like that. These may all be minor tweaks and additions to the game, but it all adds up to a enjoyable visual experience.

That said, it's a shame that this great remaster has been brought down by everything around it, such as the deplorable music quality, the various bugs and performance issues, and this new information coming from Stealth. Hopefully that the inevitable day-one patch comes out soon and fixes some of these major issues.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    One thing I think worth mentioning is that, given we know all the music is handled by the Hedgehog Engine 2 wrapper (if that’s the right term for it), I imagine it’s unlikely (albeit possible) that we’ll see a stand-alone S3&K release on mobile devices.

6. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    I forgot to mention that

During big arms boss, you don't get killed or detransform from super to normal when you get into its arm. He slams you down but makes a boing sound. I was so scared when I got stuck there and thought "whelp, now im getting unsuper" and found out a pleasant surprise I didn't get hurt!
    I do not remember was this in MD too or is this new. I have to check again lol

7. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    Good on Stealth for speaking up. SEGA deserves public backlash for botching Origins. I just hope they'll listen and adequately address the grievances, but only time will tell.

Hell no, we don't have to accept it. Mentalities like yours are the reason why consumers are so easily screwed over.

I don't see "moderator" next to your username. Don't tell me what to do, you're no one's nanny. Let the conversation play out as it will.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  8. nesboy43

nesboy43

He likely saw Sega's lack of response to these issues as a massive threat to him and his studio's career. That being said I am surprised he didn't want to wait a little but longer to see if Sega would have a response/statement.

From the sounds of it there seems to be no post launch bug fixes planned.

9. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

The behavior was fixed in S3K

10. Vertette

Vertette

I imagine most of the Sega/Sonic Team devs went back to work on Frontiers already.

11. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    Appreciate the transparency, but I think the moment he said only the S3&K remaster was subcontracted, with the rest of the compilation being done internally, it was understood that it was going to have rough edges outside of their control. To me at least it was clear from the get go who was to blame for the majority of the lack polish of the overall package.

So I don't know that calling them out like that was necessary or a good idea. I mean, if it serves to light a fire under Sega's ass to actually do good post launch support, which apparently they didn't yet plan to do, great, I just hope it doesn't damage Headcannon's working relationship with them.

12. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Halfway through Story Mode, I will say that having never had a chance to play through the remasters of S1 and CD that they were a lot of fun with all of the frustrations removed! Plus, I got to enjoy the JP intro and outro for the first time! Story mode giving me Sonic + Tails for Emerald Hill made me really happy!

13. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    I could also see Stealth's initial tweet/replies afterward as a means to make it more openly known that "Hey, people aren't happy with this, and this isn't what we wanted to submit." so that there's more possibility of them hearing people's general disappointments with the collection and wanting to fix it through letting Headcannon work a bit more on the port, and all that sort of jazz. Rather than waiting by sitting on his hands and hoping SEGA just gives him the go-ahead to develop a bugfix patch, he wanted to light a small fire, so to speak, as to get them to hurry up on it a bit more.

Is it a good idea? Honestly, maybe not - but time will tell.

14. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Thank You for fresfreshing my mind :). I'll see what more cool stuff I can find if i replay S3&K.

15. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
  16. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
  17. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I loved that mission

18. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I have no clue why you woke up and decided to come at me about this when day one updates and patches have been the standard way of doing things since 2015.

Its not my "mentality" it is the reality of the world that games don't come out fully finished and haven't for a long time. I even brought up 2 RECENT Sonic games that had issues that were fixed later down the line.

I don't see why saying they'll fix it later meant you had to tag me in a post making it sound like I'm a corporate drone when all I was saying was that the issues people are having WILL be addressed but I ask that you don't do it again. Especially when, for SOME reason, you left out me saying there's no way they're leaving the game like this.

19. LucasMadword

LucasMadword

LucasSaturn Member
    I think it's how you worded, "we just have to accept"... we don't have to accept that modern games release unfinished. If everyone decided to not buy them until they were fixed, then companies wouldn't release them in such a broken buggy state. That's why I'm not buying Origins, I don't want to support this kind of practice. It was the "we just have to accept" bit of the comment I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    When I said "we have to accept" I meant it as in "this is the objective reality we have to deal with ".

I never said I was happy with how things are or wish they weren't different I've just dealt with this enough times to know that playing on launch date means you'll have to deal with jank that won't be there a year later, or maybe not even a month later.

I thought everyone here played enough games that I could word it like that and people could get that I meant "yeah the bugs suck but day one being like this has been the way things have been for a while, so maybe it will be fixed later on." And I think many did get it when they didn't read what I wrote in bad faith.

But alright.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List