don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    Now I have not played much of the game myself but man with what everyone else is reporting, I’m just praying that SEGA is taking note of the feedback and is preparing patches because there’s no way that this game should have gone out in this state.

I really feel for Stealth and the other fans who were involved here because they don’t deserve this kind of scrutiny and negativity.

I hope the outcries from fans will have gotten SEGA’s attention by now; they can’t be this careless and leave the game in this condition.

If they can do patches for Colors Ultimate four months after launch, they can sure as hell do it here

2. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Don't we know for a fact that they lost the source code to the Genesis games? Or am I remembering wrong?

3. Chimes

Chimes

The One SSG-EG Maniac Member
    I read somewhere that the very closest they have to Sonic 1's source code is, of all things, the J2ME mobile port's code base. For the After Burner II 3DS port, Sega and M2 literally had to dig inside Kawaguchi's floppy disks just to get the Melody sequence data (which for context was sparsely seen outside of CD album recordings). I'm not sure if the same can be said for Naka's archives!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    I am not saying there isn't room to critique or feel a little disappointed over some things. Nobody's body of work is perfect, so it's fair game. But respectfully these aren't your documents, so you have no rights to them. What they did was generous, even if you feel they could have done more.

I got a gift from a family member a while back. I was a little disappointed with it, because it wasn't quite what I wanted... but it was certainly much better than nothing at all. I am not entitled to anything, and they didn't have to give me the gift. But they did, because they got wind of what I wanted and went out and got a version of it for me. So even though it wasn't quite 100% what I wanted, I still said "thank you".

If you can't relate to that scenario, then I'm not sure there's anything more I can say here other than "you could have gotten nothing at all".

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  5. JoseTB

JoseTB

Tech Member
    I can cut s3&k some slack but I have to admit that findings bugs in 1/2/CD that weren't there before in the mobile remasters, like Tails getting constantly stuck in S2, is disappointing. Here's hoping we get patches.

6. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    ...Generous? Are you serious?

Are you really comparing a gift a family member gave you, to a product made by a corporation that you paid $40 for, and saying I should be just as thankful for the latter as the former? SEGA is not a person, they are not your friend, this is not a gift, and they are not being generous. They are a business selling you a product. They failed to include something they advertised, something that would've made the $40 price tag of these 30-year-old games easier to swallow. I expected more value than what I got. No, I'm not going to think I could've gotten nothing. That attitude can excuse anything.
    [​IMG]
    I guess we should be thankful that SEGA is being generous enough to sell us these games again. After all, we have no rights to them. They're not our bodies of work. No sense in complaining about bugs and missing music, or that they took the original games down, since we could've gotten nothing!

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. Chimes

Chimes

jesus dude take a chill pill its just sonic
    40$ is 40$ too much but you don't have to be this mad over how sega doesn't have material from 28 years ago containing The Legendary Sonic Space Dragon

8. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yeah, music mods are already here, Criware's been worked with for years now. The big things are A.) waiting for a full soundtrack replacement so everything sounds crisp instead of just the prototype/super stuff, and B.) cracking things open to be able to replace individual songs, hopefully, instead of all-in-one files packed together.

9. Modding for Sonic 3 will be crazy; there will be mods adding stuff from A.I.R. to Origins or stuff from Origins added to A.I.R. or... stuff from Sonic 3 Complete added to Origins or— yeah, y'all get it.

10. RikohZX

RikohZX

Honestly? I'm curious how that OpenMania project of recreating and reading Mania's RSDK stuff might interpret the 3&K stuff since it's one gigantic Mania modification at its core. I'd rather just make everything able to hijack the RSDKs away from Origins' menu stuff and make our own interfaces to give the middle finger to the Hedgehog Engine stuff.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    For this "gift" Sega asks for 40€ upfront

12. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

this is the company that had to scramble to track down the source code for Spinball and ended up finding it on a floppy disk in some former employee’s Garage; you have way too high expectations for sega in this particular area

nintendo is 100% the odd company out in terms of keeping their older dev materials backed up.
    Theres at least one big studio, cant remember who off hand, who at one time just printed out their source codes to back them up and called that an archive.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. Chimes

Chimes

That... I did not know before. I swear, Spinball's development history is like the weird shadow monster that disappears when you look at it in the hallway.

That being said, the point still stands: the price is high but you can't expect too much out of a company who continually struggles to archive media before the Heisei era.

14. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    To clarify: I am not mad at the idea that Sega simply doesn't have old development material. I can accept the idea that they don't have the space dragon anymore, even if I don't personally believe it. If that's really the reason they aren't including it, then fine, but I really think the simplest answer is the most plausible here, and that simple answer is they just didn't bother. After all, they included all that art for the Cook & Becker artbook, and that was the 25th anniversary. How do we know that was all they had?

I am merely annoyed (not mad) that things we KNOW 100% for a fact that they should still have, things included in past collections, were not included in better quality. (Come on, you don't seriously think Man of the Year is lost media, do you?)

What makes me actually angry is the idea that I should treat SEGA as I would a family member, and that Origins is being called a "generous gift". I'm sorry, but that is just not healthy. Am I crazy? Am I wrong for thinking the rules should change when money is involved, and personal relations aren't?

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Turbohog

Turbohog

Why does the museum literally only play music if you select a song and stay on that page? I don't understand how Sega can mess up the sound in one game so much.

Edit: ugh the character select is also so lazy. Why couldn't the title music at least continue playing??

Edit 2: I hit an item box in green Hill, it hit me, and Sonic fell through the floor. Spectacular first impressions.

16. Oh boy... it already started lol:

17. KingOfBunnies

KingOfBunnies

Ok, so, on Switch, when I leave a special stage in Sonic 3 after getting the emerald, the shield I had when I entered is gone. That didn't happen in the original game, right? You always kept your shield, if I remember correctly.

18. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Sorry, I don't keep up with this stuff as much as I'd like. Is Spinball included in some special manner here? Granted, I haven't played Origins yet, but the idea of reusing the Spinball source code sounds intriguing.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I want to give Headcannon the benefit of the doubt for Sonic 3 (at least gameplay wise, music is a maybe) because I remember all the original remakes coming out and initially each one of these games had weird oddities and glitches that were eventually patched out. I feel like there's a good chance they'll come around to fixing some of these weird S3K issues if given the opportunity anyway.