don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Please stop double posting in quick succession, I've seen you do this several times. There's an Edit button, use it.

2. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Whatever man, I believe all of it. Shut up and take my money. The Michael Jackson DLC is going to be like $20 and I'm here for it.

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

Omg if you force Sonic as a partner with cheats he retains the Mania jump in from screen effect that was used in Encore mode

4. ELS

ELS

I've made it up to Sonic 2 in story mode. This is gonna need some serious modding.

5. think I'm gonna hold off for a sale and bugfixes.

still feels too expensive seeing as the amount of money I've thrown down re-buying these games over the years

6. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    https://archive.org/details/sonicorigins/

A full rip of the museum is up on archive.org. Every image is 3840x1960.

If you were hoping for higher quality versions of the Harmony art, think again - it's the Sonic Jam/Sonic the Screensaver versions resized upwards. So blurry and crap.

However many scans are better than what we had access to before. There's also hundreds. And I have no idea if they're labeled correctly.

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

Hoo boy. I'm up to Sonic CD in the story mode, and I thought trying to hold onto 50 rings in Labyrinth Zone was a pain in the arse. Every other ledge and angle in Collision Chaos alone has spikes or an enemy waiting to rob me the instant yet another spring or bumper sends me out of ball form in their direction.

I forgot how much I hate CD's level design.

8. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I'm def holding off on double dipping until I see life in the modding scene, because otherwise there's no point.

I don't see this version of S3K dethroning AIR which is really unfortunate but AIR set a stupidly high bar there. That being said I don't regret buying this for the Switch. It released the mobile ports from their mobile hell, Sonic CD finally got the updates the mobile version got but the PC and console versions didn't get, and S3K exists again. Not as clean of a package as I hoped but overall it works for what I need it for. They def could have done all around better though, like the 95% of Chaotix tracks mislabeled what the hell is that (hell no chaotix period, I'd of been content if they gave it to us in an emulator as a bonus)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Finally booted the game up to start Story Mode. Can we really not turn off the Drop Dash or Sonic 1 spindash in Anniversary mode? I wanted to at least try to play these half-authentically. (And for that matter, did CD's spindash and soundtrack options really need to be two menus? And require loading into CD to access?)

10. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Disappointed by all these issues plaguing the game. It's not a complete deal-breaker, but after Colors Ultimate you'd think they would put a little more time and effort into QA.

I've noticed sound mixing issues, missing sound effects, broken Tails AI, bad drop dash implementation, and collision issues. It's very annoying hearing Tails jumping over and over again in Sonic 2, in other versions of the game he would just respawn, but he refuses to in this version.

Another Sonic project rushed to meet a deadline, it really should've been delayed imo.

11. RikohZX

RikohZX

We say this and meanwhile Sega and Iizuka don't want to delay their real flagship title when basically everything Sonic this past year has seemingly been rushed out the door hard. Feels like someone got so mad about the pandemic holding things back that they shoveled everything into 2022, quality control be damned.

12. Yeah, if Chaotix was thrown into the mix I would have bought it. Still, like you said this is a good way to get those mobile ports out there, and for a new audience of younger fans to enjoy that may have not played the classics.

13. RikohZX

RikohZX

14. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member

Soundtrack do be slappin'.

15. corneliab

corneliab

I hope we hear of plans for a patch soon since I'm feeling really silly right now for jumping on this at full price (and at all, really). My motivation to keep playing this has cratered and I haven't even touched anything aside from S3&K yet.

edit since this post just caught my eye:
    You don't need a code for this, it's just the default behavior in this port.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Finally ran through the missions and cleared most of them. Unlocked everything I can in the museums with coins, so that has been the most enjoyable part so far.

17. Snowbound

Snowbound

Given the fact that the fucking 3-D islands are preventing some PC users from opening the game I honestly wish that Sega just kept their grubby hands off of this collection and instead took the money they paid their internal staff and gave it to headcanon so they could’ve hired more people. Heck maybe it would’ve been better if they just remade sonic 3 and released it for like 15 or 20 bucks with 1 and 2 being ported from ios to console later by headcanon.

I’ve seen the Tyson Hesse animation that was shown off in the trailers and I am super psyched to see his animations for all the games and if they just did sonic 3 we would obviously have less animations... but man what I’m hearing about the game is not ideal.

I’ll buy it for PC IF Sega removes denuvo... It honestly pisses me off that Sega fucked up what should have been a slam dunk. I want to support headcannon (which is why I bought pier pressure on launch day). If it’s clear that denuvo isnt getting removed then I’ll prob buy a console version in a few months (as even if stealth and co aren’t getting residuals obviously it is good for head cannons professional relationship with Sega for the games they work on to sell well). But I swear to God if this game does not perform well because of Sega’s incompetence and they interpret that as fans not wanting a Mania 2... I’ll be pissed... and then I’d move on because it’s just a game but still... it’s mildly upsetting that the game aspect of the franchise is still being managed so poorly.

18. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Just finished all 4 games going trough story mode. It was really fun!

It's definitely rough around the edges, but save for the Tails glitch in Sonic 2 I don't think anything is in dire need of patching.
    Even the proto tracks don't sound awful in-game, I've definitely gotten used to them at the very least.

While I still wish the overall package was more polished, I think some people here are reacting a bit too strongly to what are basically minor flaws. These are still the definitive version of the games, and this is by far the best Sonic compilation.
    I've always had a lot of respect for the dedication some of you guys have to the classic Sonic games, but I do wish you could reel it in a bit sometimes...you make it sound like it's some 06-tier broken mess, when it's perfectly playable (on consoles at least)

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Someone earlier posted like, 50 issues that they’d found in the games. I don’t think you can call these the definitive games just because they’re wide screen and you get a few missions, and you definitely can’t accuse people of reacting too strongly either.

If you like it though, good for you.

20. Linkabel

Linkabel

I did recently get one of the calendars so at least 6 of those Jam/Screensaver pics are available in high quality.

[​IMG]