don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. nesboy43

nesboy43

It's surprising because S3 and K was worked on by Headcannon, I expected better based on their work on the other Sonic ports as well as Mania. This just seems unfinished.

2. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Of course it is. Can't miss Sonic's birthday! So they released it in the state it's in. I just hope they make a serious effort to fix a lot of the issues people have been reporting. We'll see if they do the right thing or not.

3. Mookey

Mookey

I mean they missed it last year. What's so special about the 31st anniversary aside from having to make up for missing the 30th anniversary?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Nice collection, enjoying it myself. much better than what Nintendo would offer for the same price

5. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Now I am seeing the potential parallels with Mania's release and post launch patches. Perhaps next year we will get Origins Plus (with physical copies, bug fixes, QOL improvements, bonus games, and playable Amy and Metal!)

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  6. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    Understood, but I think it's still good marketing when you can use the birthday to celebrate the games that started it all.

Besides, getting release date targets moved is pretty difficult in any organization, because they have their bottom line at the end of the day and need a return on their investment. So, to a point, I understand their perspective.

I thought of that myself. I'd buy it. Lots of potential for these games.

7. nesboy43

nesboy43

It just speaks to a problem with the whole industry itself when people will pay for broken games so companies keep doing it.

8. Mookey

Mookey

Nah, it hasn't gone far enough imo; they should've released the proof of concept as early access on the 30th anniversary. We could've seen it develop into a polished product over the next two years!

9. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    That's not a problem with the industry, but a problem with human nature. If people were to refuse to buy unfinished games, developers would set the bar lower so they could meet their goals more regularly. I'm not sure that's exactly what we want either.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    We got cucked out of the knuckles intro that was shown in the proof of concept video some time ago.
    So it starts in mushroom Hill as in standalone s&k and suddenly he's in angel island?
    They touch up the cutscenes and add little details here and there yet they manage to drop a doodie like that? Grrrrr

11. Flare

Flare

The hedgehog engine is surely what the 3D islands are being rendered in?

12. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

SEGA really does keep fumbling what should be increasingly easy wins, huh? Forces took a winning formula and did it poorly, Colors Ultimate was a buggy recreation with weird additions, and now a collection of Retro Engine Sonics can't even land on modern platforms without issues. Maybe not game-ruining issues, but still. It's honestly frustrating.

13. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Adding to this
    The entire page that goes over how to set up speakers for Qsound is still in the manual and the term isn’t blacked out, even though the phone number on the page right before it is

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  14. Devon

Devon

Down you're going... down you're going... Tech Member
    your mom
    To be honest, looking at that Sonic CD intro upscale, I'm not overly fond of it. It's pretty obvious that it was upscaled via AI; it has that crust to it.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • List
  16. Vertette

Vertette

17. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Switch console - wtf just happened lol. I collected all the chaos and super emeralds and I was hyper tails. I arrived to lava reef act 2 and wondered why i cannot transform into hyper tails altho i had 50+ rings. I got hurt and then I tried to find the big ring to get 50 rings but i went into it and I started blue spheres again o__O
    EDIT: i went to the menu and tried to check my save to see did i lose my emeralds or smth but when I got back into game, super works again lol

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

From what I can gather, it's just.. Sega's side of wrapping things up. Partly for the fancy 3D islands, partly to inject their custom UI and HUD like the Coins into everything, not to mention hijack the entire audio side of the program altogether. Every song that plays, with their residual issues like no speed change in Blue Spheres, is running through Hedgehog Engine instead of Retro Engine.

Sega just kinda shoved themselves into the ports to leave their mark all over and created something of a mess in the process for no seeable good reason beyond wanting to use their fancy engine for more than just their main games.