don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. ELS

ELS

This guy might swoop in and be our hero for Origins. https://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?posts/1011619/

I live in the US, that's the right default for my region alright. Sonic Boom and so on. The real miss is not allowing fine control over each CD song, the true best CD OST is the one you set up yourself.

2. corneliab

corneliab

Just beat the 3&K, and man, I still love this game. It might also be the Stockholm Syndrome kicking in, but I'm getting used to the Super theme (although I'd still rather revert it, disable super music, get a better-arranged version, or generally try to avoid going super if I can because of it). Hmm...that's a lot of caveats actually, putting it like that...

Also, I noticed that boosting in Doomsday is way more effective than it used to be. You can basically just trivialize the last phase with it now.

edit: haha, just noticed that the bridge Eggman destroys at the beginning of his Angel Island fight doesn't become entirely intangible anymore at the moment he sets it on fire (the collision instead makes sense in accordance with the falling pieces). I've been annoyed at that quirk for as long as I can remember and it's validating that it was addressed. Good shit.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I live in Chile and the default for me in CD was the Japanese tracks, and the cover art for the games was the European

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  4. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    Beat Sonic 1 and started on Sonic CD. Not nearly as much time to play as I'd like, but I'm blown away by the game. I'm glad to see CD's Japanese vocal tracks restored, and playing as Knuckles in Scrap Brain was cheesing. I can't wait to get back to CD as Tails later. :)

5. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    Umm I dont remember I have died in CNZ act 2 where you switch on the lights (I play as Tails) Everytime I try to pass under the spikes I die after I come off the switch. Ofc I can try Spindashing to see will this slip me through. Now I have to refresh my memory of MD S3 did this happen too or you could just walk under it.
    EDIT: Played that part on MD emulator and you can just walk under it freely without no issue.
    But on Origins, if I try to do that, i die.... wtf
    Edit2: Spindash worked to slip through.

6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

You always had to roll under it as I recall, but the spikes would just keep you from walking forward at all

7. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    I'm enjoying myself with the collection, even with all the jagged edges. It's nice to play these games again, and 3&K is a great time despite the music fuckery. (Makes going Super before the boss even more of a "do I really want to?" kind of choice, LMAO)

It definitely does feel a bit rushed out the door in some regards, but at the same time, still relatively solid. It's not ruining my experience, but it's noticeable enough. I'm definitely hoping (and kind of assuming, at this point) that they go in and fix some stuff down the line. It's not enough to kill the entire collection, but it's definitely a bit of a minor snag. Ones that casuals likely won't notice, so they might've just let them slip because of that. Not defending that, mind you, I think it's shitty to do that. Make it good for everyone, damn it!

Origins is the perfect "pick it up on a sale" game, I feel. I think you get your money's worth at full price, but it's a bit steep for 20+ year old games (even if these are incredibly good remasters of said 20+ year old games). Especially with all these minor issues. Also yeah digital deluxe is a ripoff lol. I mean it's only like 5 bucks more so I don't mind that, but jeez, it feels like it's really only here because SEGA demanded it. Doesn't add too much special, and what it does add that you could consider important is just okay. You're not missing much if you don't get it.

tl;dr S'okay.

8. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Retro Engine crush physics strike again

9. corneliab

corneliab

Something everybody should do before they play is adjust the sound settings. The default mix is terrible. I have the BGM at max, but I've set the SE volume at about 5.75 out of the 9 bars displayed. Pretty happy with it.

10. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Checking on the box art and I noticed they had to black out every mention of Q-Sound from the NA Sonic CD box lol

• Informative Informative x 4
    • List
  11. From what I'm gathering, the Origins is mostly playable but has a lot of oversights right?

12. FlackoWeasel

FlackoWeasel

Blue cheese lover! Member
    I do have noticed I get more crushed under things lol. I usually love going fast and then baaam crushed xD.
    also sob sob scroll glitch doesnt work to get passed on parts u cant usually access (Knux areas) (Usually was duck and wait when screen is the very low and then jump, screen starts to move vertically and while it does so, I could get passed on areas what werent areas I should get)
    But still I enjoy the game tho, even if i noticed these minor stuff. I am so used to fool around usually in Sonic 3 and some actions are just hard coded in me to do and it felt weird like "that didnt woork!??" As I was curious do those spiky balls still hurt you as super sonic in ice cap zone 1 where you could get only as knux

13. Crash~

Crash~

untitled Sonic metroidvania
    you're right about something seeming wrong, the ring sound effect is being cut off when the next ring is collected. all the games on the genesis alternate the ring sound effect between 2 fm channels so that they can overlap, and that's not what is happening here

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  14. unAWARE

unAWARE

Mmm...morphball! Member
    Southwest Michigan
    Raising my son
    So, yeah, haven't gotten to play much but oh my word the Chaotix tracks! How on earth do you mange to mislabel Door Into Summer!? The track is iconic as far as that game goes and it's not even labeled correctly. Things like that combined with all the physics issues make me think SEGA really didn't hold up their end of the work on this at all. It's like they didn't do any real QA or testing. It comes off like they made a group project and instead of checking that everyone's work was done correctly and tied together as it should, they just left it as-is and handed it in for a barely passing grade when just a smidgen more effort would've gotten them an A+ with extra credit.

I love being able to have S3K running on modern hardware with an official port. I remember signing the petition for the S3K remaster back in the day. I'll concede about the music tracks in those needing to be changed. But my God SEGA, you aren't giving me much of a reason to prefer it over what the fans have done with things like S3C and Sonic 3 AIR. S3K is my favorite Sonic game of all time, and to see it done dirty like this, to see Sonic done dirty like this time after time, it's really disheartening. Why weren't Taxman, Stealth, and Tee Lopes given your complete trust? If you trusted them to make the megahit of almost-perfection that Mania is, why did you have to shove your fingers into the pot on these and muck up their otherwise excellent work on the mobile ports? Sega has, once again, missed the forest for the trees.

I also don't think Taxman or Stealth and their teams are responsible for the issues we're seeing, this reeks solely of SEGA's mismanagement of things. My hopes are high that at least many of the bugs gameplay wise will get fixed, but otherwise I'm not holding my breath for things like correct song titles in the menus.

15. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    It's entirely playable and overall a decent package that we can tell Sega wanted to make us happy, but it's clear that Stealth and co. only worked in Sonic 3K and submitted it to Sega for them to implement in the final product along with the extra bells and whistles promised, and the entire package has enough little weird things to drive us crazy

16. nesboy43

nesboy43

Taxman isn't working on this game.

To be fair we have no idea who is responsible for the shortcomings of the final product. I'd imagine the features/design were dictated by Sega but the engine/programming would've been Headcannon games' responsibility.

It's possible Headcannon needed more time but the deadline was already set.

I doubt they would need to use both Hedgehog AND Retro Engine unless it was out of necessity. I can't imagine they had fully working games in Retro Engine that had Hedgehog Engine thrown on it for no reason. It wouldn't make any sense.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    At least if Sonic Colors Ultimate is anything to go by, they should be able to get most of the smaller issues fixed pretty quickly/easily.

18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Not directly, but I believe it was mentioned earlier in the thread that on the Retro Engine discord he commented he'd been asked to make modifications to v4 to allow for split-screen to be implemented in the Sonic 2 remake for Origins.

Doesn't change any of the rest of your point, but it does mean he contributed at least some extra work towards the project.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Just an FYI for PC players that music mods already exist on GameBanana

20. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Havent seen anyone mention it but, wasnt there a cut in the CD ending where Sonic throws a rock at an escaping eggman? I haven’t seen that in any in-game footage and haven’t unlocked it in the museum to see if it got put there instead

edit: unless that clip has been bad-ending specific? That feels weird why would they give more footage and of eggman getting beaten to the bad ending?