don't click here

Michael Jackson tweets about Sonic 3 and Michael Jackson

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Chris Highwind, Jun 23, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    So, it's been a rumor for ages that Michael Jackson may have been involved with Sonic 3 in some capacity. But today, on Sonic's 31st birthday, we finally hear the truth from Yuji Naka himself:

https://twitter.com/nakayuji/status/1539944869862354944?t=67ZXyInSR227QOzJVVB9oA&s=19

Screenshot_20220623-084024_Twitter.jpg

OL EDIT: Topic title is misleading, please continue on downthread for what Naka actually meant - he's talking about Sega using MJ music in a Tiktok video.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 23, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    You mean Roger Hector in 2005 saying that MJ was initially brought on to compose music for the game doesn't count?

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  3. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    I guess it does? I had forgotten until I was reminded that Yuji Naka has a habit of misremembering things about the development of the Sonic games he was involved in, and took it as true since he was involved in many of those games :/

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    lmao Naka chose violence today - perhaps there was no ulterior motive and perhaps it’s just a quirk of translation, but these all reads like “Oh, you’ve changed Sonic 3’s songs and avoided making allusions to the original soundtrack in an attempt to cover your asses and avoid a backlog of royalties? Lol, lmao.”

5. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
  6. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    True, but at the same time, he's confused as to why they changed the music for Origins yet still used one of MJ's songs for a TikTok video.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  7. Patrolman

Patrolman

Well.....there's your confirmation

8. Taylor

Taylor

god bless social media

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    What was Hector's exact quote? Because I was under the impression that up to this point, SEGA's stance was "he was brought on at one point but none of his music remains the in the final game", whereas here Naka is flat out saying it was in the final game.

10. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
    Brad Buxer, the aforementioned Roger Hector, and even Naoto Ohshima (albeit confused) have all gone on record saying MJ was obviously involved to some degree/one song before. If Naka is talking specifically about this too, it's essentially just validation on top of validation by this point.

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    There's some interesting information here in that Yuji Naka seems to be bewildered by this. If anything, this hints at the position Naka may have had at the time, perhaps a bit distant from all the legal issues and maybe even the music production process. That's to be expected -- given that he wasn't a producer at the time -- but it's still amusing to imagine the issue is so removed from the creative process that it has nothing, absolutely nothing to do with anything Sonic Team did at the time.

Which I guess might serve as some evidence as to what exactly is the nature of the legal feud between SEGA and the MJ estate.

13. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    He did say something along those lines, but the OP is only talking about confirmation of his involvement (regardless of inclusion in the final product) which was certainly confirmed in that interview.

14. nesboy43

nesboy43

There we go.

There's no truth to the secret conspiracy some were floating about Sonic Team having music forcibly replaced by MJs team.

Based on his reaction he is not happy with this change and is very surprised. Clearly the final track listing was the best of the in house and external composers.

15. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
  16. nesboy43

nesboy43

Is it violence? I see it as him being in shock over them changing the final music of his game to an old soundtrack.

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
  18. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    I just read this on Twitter and was like "holy cow there are a lot of people that think this wasn't confirmed by other sources."

Apparently here too :eng99: Well, I guess if you need Yuji Naka himself literally saying it to believe it then I guess today is your lucky day.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    I’d say the only potentially significant implication here is that Naka is free to talk about Jackson’s involvement now. So we might have another perspective on what happened - this one being the project leader.

20. corneliab

corneliab

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.