don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'm hearing that besides the quality of the new S3&K songs themselves, the Hedgehog Engine is hijacking a ton of stuff. Instead of the RSDK files being readily accessible, HE2 has all but buried them inside of itself. It's handling the menus, the HUD, the music playback, and probably other things to boot. I could be wrong or misinformed on some stuff, but Sega may have effectively taken a shit inside the Retro Engine and put their mark all over it.

2. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Honestly yeah the lack of CRT filtering does kinda sting

Mania’s were CRAZY good and actual CRTs have been the only type of screen I’ve played the Genesis games on for a few years now

that said, Mania’s were good because a crazy amount of care was taken with them. Decent odds that if there had been one in this collection it might have been one of those “blur it and slap dark lines/a grid on it” types

3. Vertekins

Vertekins

Wants to know everything about Sonic Member
    Midlands, England, UK, over there in Europe.
    Translating Sonic info. Working on Concept Mobius. Also, trying to find extant footage of original Sonic CD special stage.
    D01A1975-51E7-422B-BE53-72FDD162741F.jpeg A6C71483-7D5F-4DD4-B99B-0B1E48A11026.jpeg
    Really interesting shield concepts!

From left to right each row;
    Flame, Fire, Bubble.
    Water, Wheel, Mirror.
    Magnet, Thunder, Enemy.
    Block, Heavy, Wing.

On the second page, the shields are called Iron Ball, Ring, Break and Spin.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Alright, Origins unlocked in my country and I can confirm the implementation of the drop dash they included is even worse than the Sega Ages version. Also, Sonic doesn't jump with Y which is the main button I use on Switch.

5. RibShark

RibShark

Out on Steam now! Guess SteamDB was wrong.

6. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

What's up with Sega and bad volume mixing, anyway? I wouldn't be surprised if this is just like Puyo Champions where the Switch version specifically has really bad volume mixing while the rest of them were fine. And for added fun, the Switch version didn't have volume settings when the PC version did.

7. Patrolman

Patrolman

Playing it now and yeah the drop dash is a bit off

8. RikohZX

RikohZX

Hate this slight bilinear scale it has at 1080p, anyone know how to get pixel perfect or is that going to have to be a mod all its own?

9. So, if this is true, we either have really hard to decrypt stuff in general storage, or a multi-gigabyte exe file containing everything with Denuvo wrapping on-top making it nigh impossible to even do basic modding?

10. corneliab

corneliab

Okay, I jumped into S3&K (Anniversary Mode) and got through Hydrocity Zone in the Switch version so far. There seem to be quite a few sound issues in particular, like songs starting too late and ending too early (noticeable at the results screen). The music also just abruptly stops at the moment you clear a special stage instead of fading out like it should, resulting in some pretty awkward silence.

Some other miscellaneous oddities include the annoying vanilla Sonic 3 life jingle being used and you no longer being able to go vertically offscreen in the Hydrocity act 2 fight (making it harder to take advantage of the bombs being dropped). I'm also really missing having filter options here.

edit: Just got past the driller miniboss' introduction shortly into Marble Garden Act 1 and now rocks are raining from the sky endlessly...

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  11. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Oh, I hadn’t heard of that. That does sound troubling… but not the most surprising thing. (The Hedgehog Engine is just a lighting engine as far as I know, but I’m assuming you mean whatever in-house game engine they’re using for the game proper)

12. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Y’all were not kidding about how mislabled the Chaotix music was lmao I think like maybe 10 tracks were in the right slot

13. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    What the hell is going on with the keyboard controls on Steam/PC? I can't use arrow keys/space/enter, after 20+ years of emulation? What am I doing wrong here?

I literally started playing Sonic with these controls, not a gamepad. WTF.

14. corneliab

corneliab

I thought I was prepared for the new Super Sonic theme, but it's maybe even worse than I thought after having to deal with it in-game. I really can't stand it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I've just booted it up on Steam myself and am also incredibly frustrated by this.

Not only can keyboard arrow keys not be custom binded whatsoever, Move Left and Move Right directions have pre-set opposite directions in the General controls somehow, and they cannot be changed as far as I can tell. You really cannot make this shit up.

[​IMG]

16. Chaos Rush

Chaos Rush

AKA J.Matz Member
    I’m not sure how that’s an oddity because the title screen now uses vanilla Sonic 3 music. Sure, invincibility and super music is the S&K theme, but I think it’s best that both themes get used somehow. Also both Sonic Mania and Sonic 4 used the Sonic 3 jingle for 1-ups, so I’m not surprised to see it chosen here as well. I think SEGA wants to cement it as the 2D 1-up theme.

17. corneliab

corneliab

I've never liked the theme and thought the S&K one was better, so I'm not happy it's been reverted with no way to change it. And yeah, like you said the new Super theme is using the S&K melody in it so it's not like things are consistent.

Edit: Huh, it plays the S&K extra life theme like usual in classic mode. But I would like to play in widescreen though lol

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

The ports are mostly fine besides the audio issues and bugs people are finding, though Roll Lock + Drop Dash absolutely sucks. But everything with the implementation of Hedgehog Engine 2 reeks of a swift and messy intern job. The fact that the menus are this demanding for some people is obscene.

I'd rather have taken a 100% Retro Engine menu or something instead of Sega trying to fit this shit in so poorly.

19. Is there any chance a remastered wide-screen version of Knuckles Chaotix will be added as DLC in the future? I've always really wanted to play this game as I never had a 32X back in the day.

20. I'm not really understanding the logic of SEGA using Hedgehog Engine for this collection, they could have just used the Retro Engine for the whole thing. Thanks to that, people who have weak PC won't be able to play this collection and especially... Sonic 3 & Knuckles in widescreen, officialy. Yes, I know technically the reason SEGA using Hedgehog Engine 2 are for the 3D in the menu and I'm not gonna lie, it's very beautiful actually and I kinda love it, but couldn't they just haved used the Retro Engine for that too? Something like the 3D Special Stage from Sonic Mania, I dunno. I feel like it's just too much to use HE2 just for some fancy menu, even if I liked it a lot and it's cute.