don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Kyro

Kyro

The new music isn't a deal breaker for me, I'm moreso just happy 3 and knuckles is even here at all. That said, wow, CNZ just sounds awful. I just cant help but wonder what exactly happened here behind the scenes for the music, it all just sounds, wrong.

Everything else aside from that seems good, though i saw some mention that the dropdash is using the version from the SEGA AGES ports. How is that different from mania, specifically? I havent actually played or heard anything of those ports

2. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I was the one that said that because I've played Mania and the Sega Ages ports obsessively since they came out.
    The Sega Ages ports basically hacked the ROMs into having you perform an uncharged spin dash move unconditionally when you held down jump in the air and it played the drop dash SFX off the ROM overriding the rest of the in-game SFX.
    Which is basically the behavior of the drop dash to its basics, except that the drop dash in Mania bears in mind several conditions that aren't replicated in the Sega Ages ports.
    So it feels very stiff and if you drop dash to a slope Sonic will awkwardly stop, and you can't change directions in the air like in Mania so it removes 50% of the cases in which I find the drop dash to be useful in Mania.

Idk if I'm explaining myself well here, English is not my first language so maybe someone could step in and explain it better than me.

But the point is I've watched a lot of Origins footage and the drop dash seems well implemented in Sonic 3K, but implemented incorrectly per Sega Ages physics in Sonic 1, 2 and CD.

I will come back to post my thoughts regarding this after I play the games on Thursday.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

God though how funny would it be if we’ve all been BDSP’d here and the last like 20 pages were moot this whole time

yes this is copium

4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    So as far as I can figure, some of the only remaining mysteries now are really details of the "Premium Collection" (Do we know about the videos yet?), and what surprises Headcannon may have hidden in Sonic 3's Debug mode (if anything). (Remember Splats in Sonic 1 2013?)

Is it possible to play as Knuckles+Tails in Sonic 1 and 3K? We know it's a default option in S2, but I haven't seen anything said about 3K yet. It was a glitch in S1 2013, but one later adapted into future ports and mods.

And also, Knuckles playthrough cutscenes? Have we seen those yet?

And finally, what stage layout changes have been made to S3K? If any? Both Sonic 1 and 2 had some very cool extra paths/alterations that many still rarely discuss or never found, and even CD had a few more subtle beta assets restored.

5. Kyro

Kyro

I think I understand what you mean, Ive played mania so many times that I think I can understand the differences you're getting at (aside from specific physics interactions like you mentioned with slopes)

Appreciate it, a bit of a bummer cause I love how its implemented in mania, but as long as it works properly in 3&K I wont be too miffed

6. RikohZX

RikohZX

Makes sense that it would be implemented in 3&K properly by the people who made it, whereas Sega trying to implement it into the past games would basically just reprogram a spin dash.

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Technically the prototype version of 3K had the drop dash first, though.

8. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
    inception :P

9. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
  10. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
  11. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
    It says it's got a hard mode DLC?

13. Grimchief

Grimchief

Seven-Time TFGO (Lite) Champion Member
    Listening to those comparison vids of the music tracks, even with the knowledge that the differences will be exaggerated, is just so disheartening. The 1103 proto tracks have so much life and energy that the Origins tracks completely suck out. Carnival Night gets the worst of it, obviously. Act 1 in particular is so, so dull compared to the proto track it's ridiculous; probably the most baffling thing about it is that the main instrument just never changes (please forgive my music noob terms if I'm getting them wrong). I mean, even Origins' CN Act 2 did that! Just... why couldn't they just use the proto tracks, man? So disappointing, especially since my platform of choice is Xbox so I won't get access to mods unless I double dip on PC. Makes losing the MJ team tracks that much worse.

I realize it's pretty unrealistic, but I really hope Sega will see the backlash and just patch in the 1103 prototype tracks. Barring that unlikely scenario, well... I hope it sounds better coming straight from the game than it does in these videos, haha. This isn't enough for me to cancel my pre-order or anything, the collection still looks really good overall, but I'd be lying if this didn't impact my excitement quite a bit.

14. RikohZX

RikohZX

15. astroblema

astroblema

Chile
    It's a secret!
    I saw the manual in Spanish now, I hope the localization team didn't suffer brain explosions after brainstorming so much to come up with the move names :P

16. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Oh hey would you look at that, the Characters page states Amy's hammer as piko-piko, rather than pico-pico as seen prior elsewhere officially.

17. Harper

Harper

I've been comparing a bunch of the S&K Collection to the 1103 proto and Origins. I'm in the belief that Origins's music is taken from an unreleased build of the game that we haven't seen. The tracks in Origins do contain some of the touch ups seen in the 1103 build, it's just that whatever build Origins is from is still relatively close to the build that the S&K Collection is based off of. Listening to S&K Collection with the proper sound cards shows that the tracks sound extremely similar in instrumentation. I recommend listening to the FM Synthesizer with any OPL3 sound card.

One that sticks out to me in particular is Launch Base Act 2. In Origins, the first 30 seconds are a rougher version of 1103's instrumentation, but 30 seconds in it starts to use the instrumentation heard in the S&K Collection, and then 44 seconds in it switches back to the rougher version of 1103.

Edit: Forgot to add that Ice Cap Act 1 sounding almost identical to Act 2 is a thing in the S&K Collection as well.

18. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    I for one liked it more when she taped two Sega Pico together to a stick and smashed people's skulls in with it.

Not S&P approved though.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    That's just referring to the Hard (Extreme!) Missions from one of the DLC contents.

20. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

So it’s obviously done in the context of “This is what Amy was called in the old manuals” but

how long has it been since sega has had to say the name “Princess Sally” in any capacity