don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    I'm not trying to put words in your mouth here, so it's unintentional if that's how it comes off, but just because Jun has been appointed music director at SEGA does not mean he is without significant flaws with some of his work, nor does it mean that he is absent from making questionable music decisions.

People can absolutely work their way up the career ladder through producing fantastic work and then go on to produce subpar work in future despite still holding a high-up / management / significant role.

It doesn't matter if Jun is at the bottom or top of the career ladder, circa 1:30 to 1:45 in particular in this video just sounds awful, with notes of clashing keys / pitches, some questionable instrument choices, volume balancing and audio clarity issues. Who signed off on this sounding satisfactory? :eyebrow:

It actually sounds legitimately painful to listen to. Man.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  2. Snowbound

Snowbound

Stealth popping into this thread:
    02681C3E-9217-4428-A909-82F4A08415A6.gif

3. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Setsumaru did arrange some of Jun's tracks, yes but most of them were arranged by Jun himself and that info comes from Sonic 3D Blast internal headers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I have to admit, while I think most of the new stuff is passable, the backing instruments in that section really sound off, almost like bad static there.

It is kinda weird that Jun's new stuff clashes though, given his 3D Blast work was basically an evolution of S3K's music style.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Y'know, I was expecting either "largely faithful remaster of the proto tracks a la YouTubers" or "taking heavy liberties with the composition and essentially remixing it". Both approaches would've had merit.

This is neither of those things. I guess I should reserve ultimate judgment until we have better recordings, but this honestly took some wind out of my sails. Ice Cap Act 1 is less distinct, the Launch Base tracks have some odd choices, and Carnival Night... poor Carnival Night. It's like the more a prototype track was already liked the more they felt the need to tamper with it.

I want to appreciate the attempt at a longer Sonic 3 super theme, but it sounds off. Not even just the instruments, but something about its energy/tempo. It sounds like it belongs in the gumball bonus stage.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Christ, Retro, I can't have one night off, can I. I return and I see 400 new posts =P

My thoughts on the music:
    ICZ is all but the same
    CNZ is a bit meh
    LBZ is alright
    The super theme's not that great

I'd also like to point out that specifically regarding the Super music, I have been saying for a long time that unused music from the proto/PC version was never intended to be used as a Super theme, and Origins proves this given that not only is there a new Super theme but the original track is used for something entirely different.

• Like Like x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  7. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    I had faith in Senoue not because I had faith in his skills for this task, but just because I didn't really like the proto tracks. So this is disappointing, but I was ready to listen to generic jarring stuff I didn't want in my game. I won't listen to it until I play the game myself, so I hope that, no matter how it turns to be for me, I can at least tolerate all the changes while I play.

And no, Sega doesn't deserve our money, but they own Sonic, so it's useless to suffer about shit like this one; either we play the new stuff or we don't, and send them our opinions in the format of a satisfaction survey if we feel like they have to know them.

I'm into Origins because I wanna try all the new stuff I haven't played or seen before. I'm more interested in playing missions than story mode, I'll play this more trying to unlock the whole museum rather than enjoying the remastered versions, but I'll play those because I haven't tried the reworked versions of the special stages, among other things. For me, this is a journey to discover, not to relive the past (I think I haven't had a full playthrough of Sonic 2 since 1996; I've lasted until I've beaten the ARZ boss playing on emulators and that's all).

8. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    Yeesh. As disappointing as it was to realize the unaltered release OST would be forever confined to aging cartridges and ROMs, I took solace in the potential for Sega to breathe new life into the proto tracks. But these...these are rough.

It's sad this is how mainstream gamers will experience S3&K going forward. Thank goodness for our modding community and their inevitable efforts to create alternatives.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  9. corneliab

corneliab

I think I've finally got a lot of the "wtf is this" out of my system regarding the replacement music and am back to anticipating this thing again. For the Switch, does anybody know if this will unlock at midnight EST tomorrow night, or will it be later?

10. Harper

Harper

I just noticed that the Blue Spheres music doesn't speed up in any of the footage we have.

• Informative Informative x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    They should have put it in the LBZ2 Knuckles cutscene just to get a use out of it. Short music for a short cutscene.

To think I made a Mega Drive version of Sky Fortress 2/3 nearly 10 years ago...

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    This is a crime.

13. Turbohog

Turbohog

Seriously. If this is an issue on day 1, it needs to be patched. The music speeding up is an essential part of Blue Spheres.

14. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    This combined with how the music stops and restarts when getting a powerup tells me something's messed up about the way music is being handled by the engine, similar to what happens in Sonic Jam. But that can't be right, since the Blue Sphere music speeds up in that version...right?

15. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    This topic is getting too large to wade through, so I'll just ask, is the competition mode music confirmed yet? Is it exactly the same as in the beta but muffled, like what apparently has happened to the beta Sonic 3 ending theme, or has it been reworked like the level themes were?

16. RikohZX

RikohZX

I mean, it sped up in Mania, and this is the direct engine successor of an updated version of Mania's, sorta.

17. corneliab

corneliab

Yeah, the music not speeding up for blue spheres is a weird oversight. I watched some footage to confirm and sure enough, it wasn't. That should be a high-priority fix.

18. Harper

Harper

The competition theme, credits theme, and unused theme are identical to what they sound like playing from real hardware.

19. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Mania sped it up too right?

I’d assume the code for it is there in the engine and they put off properly implementing it as a non-priority for the “gold” build, and the first patch will address it

20. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Hah, I wonder if somehow the Sound Test variant of the Special Stage track was assigned to the Special Stages by mistake? That one also does not change speed.

Perhaps not the case, but would be kinda funny to me if so.