don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. corneliab

corneliab

Disagree with what? I don't share the perspective myself, but I at least understand where they're coming from.

2. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Oh it goes deeper than that. Look up old reviews of Sonic 4 and see how they describe the music as being "just like the classics" or "a close facsimile to the original sound". Most people just don't have a good ear for this stuff, or they think it's "close enough".

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Yuzu

Yuzu

More than anything, I'm just letdown that the prototype CNZ Act 1&2 just sound so poor with these new conversions. They legitimately sounded perfect in the 1993 proto. They really just ruined CNZ entirely.

Kinda hoping we get these patched, but I'm doubting that'll happen.

LBZ and ICZ I'm more mixed on as the prototype tracks were clearly unfinished in the build we have. I think LBZ2 sounds awful, but I'm indifferent towards ICZ simply because it sounds nowhere near as bad as the rest.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  4. ICZ1 is honestly kinda annoying as, with the lead synth change, it just sounds like an emptier version of Act 2 now. ICZ2 is deadass the same as the proto though. Like, cool? Why couldn't that have been the case for CNZ??

5. Fadaway

Fadaway

Many moons ago etc., etc,

It is a compilation game. Usually these consist of the OG games and nothing else.vof course there was detriment from using the OG S3 score. Brad Buxer et al. The prototype music exists and so does the PC collection. This is singular. They can't use the originals for legal reasons but holy hell what others video game company had a backup plan? Dreams Come True were long gone. MJ & Brad masturbated all over the sound chips and submitted it. Oh well we got a deadline. THEN, Jen comes forth worrying about his original compositions not getting used? Who cares? This is the latest and bestest iteration officially on home consoles and I am in stark gratitude they thought it through and included the obscure details such as an actual in-game cutscenes between Launch Base and Mushroom Valley, which previously only existed in a ROM hack. And Hidden Palace. C'mon!

6. Loop

Loop

Pure of Heart. Dumb of Ass. Member
    So are we gonna stop scapegoating Jun? It's very unlike him to just switch drumkits knowing which one is the predominant one in the game. The arrangement of the Super Sonic theme is mid, but the composition itself is on point with what could've been in the original game.

I'm inclined to believe the replacement tracks are recordings of what SEGA has in their archives. Some sound the same to what we've heard before as perhaps they were finished prior the others.

Remember, Jun is a composer and a producer. His Genesis songs were programmed and arranged by other people, such as Natsumaru. Again, he was appointed SEGA's music director for a reason.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. RikohZX

RikohZX

We're working with what Katie told us, anything past that is us making conjecture. The new super theme does sound like some sort of weird Sonic 4 leftover but whatever the case, until we find out more, people will blame him for the strange quality of these tracks.

8. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    Now I’m wondering how the prototype Knuckles theme would’ve turned out…

I was actually expecting that for some reason.

9. Unlimited Trees

Unlimited Trees

we Do a Little Mischief, Mischief... Member
    When
    UNITRES, Project Time, etc.
    it is simple : do not spend money on babie sega game and instead give stone and stealth and all of the awesome people ur money instead and also buy pier pressure on steam <3

10. Yuzu

Yuzu

I think I'm just more accepting of Act 1 simply due to how poor the other zones sound. Good point though, no idea why ICZ2 is literally the same and CNZ had to be ruined like this.

I also think that LBZ2 is legitimately broken in this state. What is even going on at this point with the instrument volumes?

11. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Not just Katie, but Stealth.
    upload_2022-6-21_19-43-18.png
    I can see Katie having inaccurate information, being little more than a social media manager for the American branch, but Stealth was actively involved in this version's development. There's little reason not to take him at his word that this is the case.

Maybe if he popped into this thread, he could reconfirm his statement and put these rumors to rest.

12. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Fun fact:

Launch Base Act 1 in the prototype includes the entire universal voice bank inside the song itself including many many more patches. The song in the prototype only uses three voices, $00 (bass), $08 (Bell Horn type thing), and $0A (Synth Trumpet).

Believe it or not, the Origins version of the track is ALSO using instruments from the universal voice bank. The only difference is that instead of $0A, the synth trumpet, it's using $0E the Elec Piano. The other difference of course is that I believe the channel with the bell horn is shifted an octave down. Also, the PSG acting as a drum has been removed presumably (you cant really hear it anyway) and the note sustain issues in the prototype are fixed in the Origins version.

I changed the patch and was able to get a version that was pretty much identical to the Origins version. Take a listen:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachme...1594539038/lbz1_proto_with_origins_voices.mp3

• Informative Informative x 13
    • List
  13. I feel the idea with LBZ1 proto's refinement isn't bad - the lead is certainly more distinct here. It just... the lead could've been better. It's LBZ2, CNZ1 and CNZ2 that just. Died.

14. At least this remix sounds genuinely good. I like the happy vibes it has.

15. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    There's too much to search through in this thread, but is anyone else thrown off by the filtering inconsistencies between the replaced tracks and the originals? Going from hearing CNZ to the invincibility theme and hearing it a great degree softer just doesn't sound right. Irks me more than the bad patches.

16. corneliab

corneliab

Imagine the shitshow if the state of these new tracks wasn't known about at all until the game literally came out. That scenario is seemingly what Sega wanted, too.

17. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Actually, yes this bothers me too. The new Super Form track in Sonic 3 & Knuckles has sharp Sonic 1 / 2 percussion which sounds very odd when the Zone's regular music is using softer-sounding Sonic 3 & Knuckles percussion. The whole Super Form track sounds like crisper emulated audio while the Zone music sounds like softer real hardware recordings. It's a jarring mismatch of audio.

18. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    Did something happen today

19. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Legit I kept having moments where I’d think about the ost issues, remember knuckles’ theme was one of them, and get a shock of dread in the second it took me to remember they sorted that out 26 years ago

20. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I don't think you have to have a "good ear", just to have listened to the soundtracks of the original games out of the context of the gameplay just once in your life to see the difference.