don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. So i just watched that whole Brazil leak thing and uhhh

WHAT KIND OF MAGIC IS THIS LMAOO
    TWO_DEATH_EGGS.png

2. I never liked the beta/prototype music for S3K but I also never imagined they would somehow be able to make them worse.

Well done, Sega! Always charting out new frontiers of failure.

3. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Going off topic a bit, if we assume the main topic to be the music at the moment...

How come we've gotten the music but none of the new concept art? Hoping that shows up soon since it seemed there was plenty of new stuff in there. I guess people still need time to finish all the requirements to unlock that stuff?

4. What the hell!

5. Can't say I've heard any solid compositions from him in well over a decade, but once upon a time he was fine enough. I really hope the music doesn't sound so iffy in steam... this scenario is already tragic enough.

6. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I thought his boss remixes from Colors Ultimate were cool.

7. Simon A.C. Martin

Simon A.C. Martin

Fixing railways
    What context is this being used in? Is this the literal Super Sonic music for the S3&K levels?

If so I am reeling, this is a huge disappointment.

8. Snowbound

Snowbound

We don’t know why there isn’t Mania 2. That said it takes 2 to tango and Whitehead has been vocal about his dislike of crunch culture, meanwhile Iizuka is using crunch culture as a fucking selling point on why frontiers doesn’t need a delay. I’m not saying that taxman didn’t want to make mania 2 I’m just saying we don’t know the full story and we should stop acting like we do... especially since there’s a very logical reason why Sega would want to put out Origins before Mania 2: fans have been begging for a release of the whitehead/stealth ports with Sonic 3 for a decade. Following the success of the movies and mania this presented a situation where fan interest aligned with commercial opportunity. Additionally if Frontiers turns out to be bad then it won’t be like 2017 where Sega was outdone by a NEW sonic game developed by fans-turned-pro. If Frontiers sucks it’d be outdone by games sega designed themselves that were remade by fans.

Additionally Working on this title has allowed stealth to bring in new people, who could go on to work on Mania 2 and give Sega confidence in Stealth’s ability to hire additional people.

Now to be clear NO ONE HAS TO BUY THIS GAME BECAUSE IT MIGHT RESULT IN A DIFFERENT GAME. You are completely valid in not wanting to purchase origins. But acting like Origins existence is another one of Sega’s mystifyingly awful decisions is fucking dumb. Fans wanted a Retro Engine Sonic 3 and we got it. Sega dropped the ball in some aspects but there are logical reasons this game exists

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

Give Jun Senoue a guitar and some more modern instruments to work with, and it'll sound like one of the signature styles Sonic has had since 2001. Give him a synth keyboard intended to sound like the classics and garbage ensues.
    It's someone's response to the actual Super Sonic theme that was made.

10. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    The new versions of the replacement tracks are kinda disappointing, but I’m willing to bet they’re closer to the actual demo versions than the prototype ones that everyone likes better. As for the super theme… it’s okay. It does have a bit of Sonic 4-ness to it, but it’s better than hearing the invincibility theme over and over.

The SPA special stage theme would have been an excellent Super Sonic theme. I’m a big fan of it in general. But I wonder if there are any legal barriers involved considering whatever legal issue that prevented them from even being able to mention it in the Encyclo-speed-ia.

11. MontiP

MontiP

"Tylerfoxorwhatever? I barely know her!" Member
    Chile
    I'm going from what I read on Sega Retro, but isn't that how Stealth got in touch with Sega in the first place? Like, after the release of the Sonic CD remaster, Taxman was like "Hey, can I introduce you to this guy I know who's super-talented in classic Sonic stuff?" and Sega was like "Okay, sure."

12. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Wait, is this a glitch or is that just how the normal level transition is

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    That and there was a perspective bug where Eggman shows up in front of the pole he should have been behind.

I'm going to say that's not the death egg you're on but a part of the rocket used to launch the Death Egg into space :eng99:

14. corneliab

corneliab

It's darkly funny to me that people are worriedly listening to that parody Super theme only to be told that the reality is barely any better.

15. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Every now and again, Jun does come out with some bangers; I absolutely love Sky Fortress Zone: Act 3 (As well as its Act 2 counterpart, albeit just not quite as much.) and the Flying Battery Zone-esque energy and intensity which it has, and all of Mad Gear Zone is pretty solid too.

However, he's also made some truly disappointing, underwhelming and repetitive tracks, such as White Park Zone: Act 3 and using a short pinch mode track for both the majority of E.G.G. Station Zone (Sans the final boss, which also suffers similar problems with another flop track.) as well as the majority of Robotnik bosses (Again, sans final boss.) in Sonic 4: Episode II.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
  16. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Looking at how they resolved the music issue, they might as well have had Retro Engine Sonic 3 back in 2011/2012 then, that was the right time for it. To compensate for the music and the delay - and the fact that team AIR did their job for them in the intervening years - they should've thrown in the competition zones fully realised to sweeten the deal. As it is, Sonic 3 Origins isn't worth a pitcher of piss, and it makes me sad to say it, I really wanted to be wrong.

17. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

Is it possible that, in hyping these people up over the years, we’ve made a name for them with their peers which in turn has elevated them to such positions where people just don’t feel like they can provide them any sort of constructive criticism out of some sort of fear of causing disrespect?

The MD Sonic 3D soundtrack is one of my favourites of all time. I am beyond disappointed, and utterly gutted at the leaks that are coming out. I guess you could tell as this is now my second comment, but really. What the hell.

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

Yeah, I still respect Jun as a composer for what he's done and can do, and at their core a number of the Sonic 4 compositions are good enough that other people have remixed and rearranged them into not sounding like screaming synth noises and they come out pretty alright for it. Even the new Super theme isn't bad conceptually and in the notes it plays.

It's just absolutely dreadful in the actual audio output.

19. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I just got an Xbox Series X last week and the game is already pre-loaded. :thumbsup:

20. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Less a bug, more a slight oversight

seems they didn’t get the Death Egg roof graphic far enough away from the platform/culled before sinking that whole layer of the image down past the camera as part of the transition

(this is also the kinda thing Day One patches actually do tend to address)