don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member

This sounds so ridiculously different in style to the other tracks. Distinctly Sonic 4-y. This lends even more credence to the theory that the only thing Jun Senoue really did for Sonic 3 was this track, and the others are actually older versions of the prototype tracks.

2. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    BUY SONIC ORIGINS

BUY SONIC ORIGINS

3. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    No, fuck off. When has voting with your wallet actually fucking worked with these clowns?

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I mean...we're getting this collection after the roaring success of Sonic Mania...which itself got DLC AND a series of animated shorts after the fact due to said success, also catapulting Mighty and Ray back into the spotlight, with them now having their own merchandise and appearing in official art for the first time in decades.

• Like Like x 16
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. jubbalub

jubbalub

Sonic Mania Plus

• Like Like x 22
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

The worst part is i don’t even hate what this adds to the loop, and it’d probably sound SO MUCH BETTER if it had just been done in the soundfonts the title theme was already in

7. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Mania Plus, Mania Adventures, and, if Iizuka isn’t just doing pr nothing-talk, Sonic Origins

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    ok I take back part of what I said about level select stuff, you can still get them in origins.

Enough of me reading about stuff on twitter i'll wait until the game is out in retro's hands instead for the facts.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I was ninja'd by other member. lol

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. corneliab

corneliab

I mean, after the success of the Sonic CD port we got the 1 and 2 remasters, Mania, Mania+, and now this collection by the same people. It stands to reason that the success of this collection would mean further involvement from Stealth/Whitehead, although yeah, it might not be on the level people want.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    So Sonic & Tails mode is still in Sonic 1 its just not an option they let you select by default, even though you can select it in Sonic 2 and even have Tails follow Knuckles which was a level select bonus in that port...

What the fuck their decisions are mind boggling sometimes. And why doesn't anniversary mode turn on the elemental shields this was the perfect opportunity to give that option a default bit nah still debug bonus I guess

12. I don't mean to sound negative- I'm still very excited to play it this week. But these tracks sound so terrible I'm abandoning my original plan of double dipping. Much respect to Headcannon here but Sega is in a half ass mood with their handling of the game.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    This also tracks for the modern games with regards to the snap back to Forces from Lost World after Generations, and now a further return to the atmosphere of the 00s with Frontiers. People are absolutely welcome to their opinions on the qualities of these games but, of the many, many things you can fault Sonic Team for, I wouldn't count not trying to cater to fan desires among them.

14. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

With what!?

15. RikohZX

RikohZX

It's so hilariously out of place, and it makes me wonder why they even replaced it in the first place instead of using the S&K Super theme or whatever. Like even on a basic level it doesn't sound remotely like anything on the entire rest of the collection, like it really is a misplaced track.

Compositionally it would be alright if it actually used the proper Genesis soundfont, but it sounds more like an unused Sonic 4 Super theme Jun had lying around and it just.. got slapped into the game. It's been 12 years and we still can't escape that damn game's approach to the franchise music.

16. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    That sudden drop at 0:18 is awful. The buildup to it made me think it was going to go somewhere cool, but then it just stops. The only part I like about it is the beginning, which is clearly referencing "Final Attack" from Generations.

If they were going to remix the theme, why not make it a pumped up FM version of the full theme off the album? That would've been great.

17. Rosiero

Rosiero

Mmph! Oldbie
    This is precisely the point though, they don't actually understand what fans want.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Let's get the wiki requests in early:

a) we're going to want all the gallery images*. Even the ones it looks like we have, just in case we don't actually have them.

b) I think we need a four way comparison on all the replaced music. i.e. "prototype" vs. "PC FM" vs. "PC GM" vs. "Origins", because there are loads of subtle differences. We might be able to decipher the one true theme based on which sections of the tracks appear most often.

*this might need a separate topic - I feel like there's things of value in there, which will be (rightly) drowned out in this topic by the music situation.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  19. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    No... those happened because Mania sold well, not because some randos on a Sonic forum "voted with their wallets".

20. jubbalub

jubbalub

Buying sonic origins means the game gets more sales