don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Extreme reactions are par for the course sadly :V

The new tracks aren't that good, but not "GOD FUCK JUN" levels, like relax lol.

2. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    ooo i see the thread has blown up again, i have a feeling hands-on / early release info is starting to surface

see u guys in 2 days lolll

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    upload_2022-6-21_11-8-6.png
    This seems to prove R2 was indeed based on Marble Zone. The swinging platforms are a dead giveaway and I'd bet that "underground" area contains lava. But that begs the question...what the hell's with the cactus in D.A. Garden?

In all fairness, Jun deserves some criticism. After Sonic 4, he said that he didn't have access to a proper FM soundboard to make them sound really good, and we all gave him the benefit of the doubt, especially since that was 12 years ago. Jun isn't a bad composer, but he's proven his lack of skill when it comes to FM sound synth.

Fool us once, shame on him. Fool us twice, shame on us.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  4. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie

(54:40)
    Imagine still leaving the CN barrel intact in the year of our lord 2022....

5. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I don't get why everyone hates that barrel, when I first played sonic 3 I figured it out in like 10 seconds and completely forgot about it.
    What's the big deal?

6. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    ^ It was a bigger deal in the 90s when it was harder to look up solutions to things that stumped you. Now it's whatever and just fun to meme about
    That and Sonic still just stands there like an asshole when Knuckles turns the lights off :eng99:

7. RikohZX

RikohZX

I was one of the people that actually started the doubt on Jun and people tried to throw criticism on that doubt.

I actually hate that I was right on this one.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  8. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

It’s never properly conveyed through visual cues or gameplay, and the manual doesn’t mention them

in fact what the manual DOES mention, because of S3a’s poor collision, is Robotnik’s inescapable “speed traps” that you just have to run out the clock or reset the console to escape. It’s the focal point of half a dozen bad decisions in an otherwise great game

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

Jun is great I just think he should avoid doing these genesis synth type songs going forward. I mean just listen to how the music for Splash Hill comes alive in this electric guitar remix Jun and tee lopes did:

Speaking of tee lopes they prob should’ve had him remaster the proto tracks for Origins. Or had him work with Jun

10. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    Well, this is interesting. Sonic 3's complicated music situation that is.

11. Xeeynamo

Xeeynamo

London
    Meanwhile a new Speed Strats has been published.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • List
  12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Yeah this is just awful. I know the Proto songs are unfinished but goddamn. Should have just used them.

13. XCubed

XCubed

Will Someday Own a Rent-A-Center Oldbie
    GODDAMNIT!

One comment says it best: “When you can’t even top an finished prototype tune almost 30 years later.”

I absolutely cannot believe this. They were better off just doing a copy and paste of the prototype than this disappointment. :argh:

STICK TO GUITAR JUN

14. Devon

Devon

I'm a loser, baby, so why don't you kill me? Tech Member
    your mom
    Loving the Sonic 4 remix for the Super theme :V

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Bro did they just...?
    [​IMG]

16. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    Can't hurt to try. They might or might not listen. Unfortunately as you said though, there's some pretty toxic fans out there. No doubt they would rather hurl insults (among other things) rather than constructive feedback.

17. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    It sounds ok? Definitely way too soft. This doesn't break the package for me though lol, that's stupid.

18. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I dunno man. The music being so bad is a pretty big deal for me. The Collection looks great but I can never call it definitive now.

Also, I wish Classic Mode was more faithful to the originals. Or at least had more options. Even M2 emulation gave options.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. SEGACast

SEGACast

Okay...

So perhaps I was a bit too overly confident about the music a few days ago.

I like the original prototype tracks, but these ones just don't reach me like I had hoped they would.

They're not so bad that it would make someone want to shoot their ears off (don't ever do that by the way!), but something's definitely missing.

The Playstation 5's recording feature might not be high quality, so maybe that's to blame partially. Shame on us for being early!

I'm still standing by with what I said about Jun Senoue having made good music before, though. Not all of his tracks are bad, as some of them are quite good.

However, upon listening to these new versions of the prototype tracks, I don't understand why the original ones couldn't be used? They were perfectly fine the way they were. Was it a marketing ploy? "Featuring music remade--MADE by Jun Senoue"?

The one good thing about digital stuff is that it can be updated at any time. Try doing that 20 years ago without having to pay tens of thousands of dollars to push out a revisional copy! Knowing SEGA though, who knows if they'd even dare change the tracks.

Maybe if the game gets a lot of bad reviews and starts to turn into a Sonic Forces situation, perhaps a patch will be released with either the original tracks or ones made by someone who has more knowledge with an FM Synth.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea they probably should have just not bothered with Anniversary/Classic mode and instead have just given you options for lives or coins and 16:9 or 4:3 and the drop dash or not, since that's where the differences begin and end really.

You can spin dash in Sonic 1 that's not really "classic" is it. Not that I'd choose to play Sonic 1 without the spin dash these days. But seems weird lives are tied to screen size