don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    + - Seems fitting when you consider title screen is S3 but uses S&K invincibility jingles.  

2. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    3k talk
    NGL I was expecting a little more out of the cutscenes, feels like half the story is missing.

Am I shocked that they butchered the new s3 music? no. Am I upset they didn't just take the beta tracks unedited and use them? yes greatly.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I kinda figured that would be the case when I noticed some of the details look a little off even just from the aerial view. Westside island and the chemical plant tubes in particular. Definitely designed with head-on view in mind

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Plus it gives a little nod to the original ending without needing to split the games

Oh and here's some of S3K's competition mode, complete with that song used in the menu for the PC version

confirmed 1 player you get the whole screen... but the physics look just as janky as the original 2 player mode... what?

5. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Also the drop dash in Sonic 1 is the piss poor Sega Ages implementation. Man, this is all so sad

6. Xilla

Xilla

I'm guessing a FL Studio + Mega Drive soundfont job

7. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I forget if taxman's original port had drop dash, it did not right? does origins still have all the awesome options for speed caps and 3k monitors?

8. Kimberly

Kimberly

I just don't get it. I really, really don't. Everyone keeps seeing the Sonic community as one of the pickiest and most whiny people, but then you get to hear the music of this and it's just somehow worse than a prototype that is more than 20 years old. It's just so incredibly disappointing, that it's impossible to not feel sad about it...

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    + - I don't think changing the physics would make sense without changing the level layout. At least we can finally see the flower field in the Azure Lake background.  

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    What was this "I have faith in Jun Senoue" thing again?

Now you know why they were skirting around the issue - someone will have to check if they really stem from the PC version rather than the original demos, but even to my untrained ear they sound muffled compared to the ones that weren't replaced.

And that Super Sonic theme. Oh dear.

But on the plus side, I do like the extra animations. Looking up and ducking while on that barrel as Super Sonic - much better. And the decision to remake higher res versions of the competition mode - good stuff.

11. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    Faith in Jun lost. Sorry dude.

12. Clownacy

Clownacy

Tech Member
    Using Sonic 2's squished two player mode look instead of the original game's not-squished appearance... I sure hope there's an option to turn the squishing off, like there was in Sonic Mania Plus.

13. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I recall Takaoka saying that she had composed a bonus stage theme, but the one she made wasn't used in the final game. I still theorize the unused theme was the one she made and it was meant for a bonus stage, so yes, this fits well.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Jay T.

Jay T.

It takes an idiot to do cool things... Member
    I'm trying to avoid watching any of the animations for now, but I know they're pretty damn good. As for the replaced music, it's...eh. Not great, but I can't say it's that much of a deal breaker, imo. I do at least like it's based on the Proto/Sonic & Knuckles Collection since that's how I got to play S3&K back in the day. Would've been better if it was completely original, but oh well.

15. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    I still have faith in Jun as a general composer, but it's kind of clear now that he needs to not do stuff like this regarding Genesis-styled tracks. I feel like if they were done properly, these wouldn't even sound that bad, but SEGA probably went "Jun's our SONIC sound guy, we only need him and NOBODY ELSE" and forgetting the fact that he's not that good with this kind of FM stuff.

Super super talented guy and he's got a great track record, but yeah keep him away from the FM synth moving forward lol

16. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    I'm appaled at the result regarding the new takes on the Sonic 3 tracks.
    We would have been better off with the actual protos tracks or those below:

That said, those animated cutscenes are superb though !

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  17. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I think Jun was used for name marketing potential.

"Featuring NEW MUSIC by Jun Senoue himself!"

They would've been better off getting Tee or someone else from the community.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  18. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!

So two things with this (skip to the credits around the 18 min mark)

1. New song for the opening of the outro... that'll take some getting used to I think that was a proto song too. I get 3D Blast vibes from it though (everything Jun composes reminds me of 3D Blast). But 2... why the hell is Jackson's sound team still credited

19. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Yeah, that's the credits theme from the proto basically left in 1:1. WHICH MAKES ME ANGRIER, BECAUSE WHY WOULDN'T THEY JUST USE THE PROTO TRACKS

YOU CAN'T EVEN SAY THEY DIDN'T KNOW BECAUSE THIS IS THE SAME EXACT SONG

:argh:

20. Turbohog

Turbohog

Thoughts: I hate Sonic Team and Sega more with each release lol. There's no way I play through this without music mods.