don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. This is embarrassing but I need to get it off my chest. I’ve played SA2 since release and it’s only been in the past 5 or so years that I realized you are supposed to jump at the top of those vertical rail things in Final Rush in order to get up to alternate paths. I always just let them fling me and would think, “How tf do you get up to all of those places?”

It’s a pretty cool example of classic-style momentum preservation in the 3D games.

Edit:
    [​IMG]
    These ones in case I wasn’t clear.

2. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    About them remaking old levels again: I'm positive, completely sure they have the means to do all-new levels, but actively want to revisit the same locales. It makes sense, in fact. You're going for a world that's stable and recognizable, enabling a perky tradition of there being multiple versions of the same thing -- which is absolutely not unseen in long running series. Think how there's a new Vampire Killer and Bloody Tears every new Castlevania game.

If they were hellbent on making new levels, they'd simply allocate resources accordingly. They'd make less levels if need be. It's not all time constraints and practical matters of game development at play here -- there's a vision behind these choices. Do we like that vision? Maybe, but we can respect that regardless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. Snowbound

Snowbound

Just gonna leave this here:
    5A6038E7-498C-4FBE-999C-6F6BE6605865.jpeg
    Obviously this does not represent the views of everyone who didn’t think it was sky sanctuary... but still lmao

4. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

SAY HELLO TO MY CHOCOLATE BLEND Member
    Elden Ring, Mario, Final Fantasy, Megami Tensei, Persona, and many more, if not most, AAA games constantly reuse assets from previous games. It’s a simple reality of the video game industry that to save time, money, and resources, sometimes it just makes sense to reuse old assets. Sonic is no different and has done it for ages.

I don’t have low standards, I just accept that this is the reality. You don’t.

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    It was not about being in denial about SS being in Frontiers, it was that people was CERTAIN it was SS with a clip that we could barely identify anything. It could be pretty much any level, SS included.

6. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

Honestly I thought it looked way more like City Escape than Sky Sanctuary in that one clip.

7. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    It's not fair to call it "denial" when previous footage was comparable to a 96p shitpost to the point where definitively naming it as a specific level was foolish.

8. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

I thought it looked like Metropolis from Forces.

9. I think everyone should just wait to SEGA revela the "action stages" gameplay.

10. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Don't put words in my mouth, I'm not talking about asset reuse. I'm talking about level reuse, especially in this series that has been reusing levels for over 10 years. It was really cool when Generations did it, but then every game after it (barring Sonic Boom I guess) did it again and it just became kind of annoying.

It's not the end of the world, if the level design is good and fun then I can deal with level reuse for the 20th time, but I'd rather this development time go into something new.

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Lost World did not reuse old levels, did it?

12. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    The first zone is Green Hill, so...yeah, it did.

I mean they did call it "Windy Hill", but this isn't a case like Sunset Hill or Seaside Hill taking inspiration from Green Hill but having their own original ideas, this is quite literally Green Hill Zone in everything but name.

13. Pretty sure Lost World's level themes were more about taking after Mario than bringing back Sonic ones.

14. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Green Hill Zone didn’t have sheep and waterwheels!

Honestly, Windy Hill is a functionally distinct zone but they should’ve made more of an effort to give it a better visual identity.

15. SuperSnoopy

SuperSnoopy

I like Sonic Advance Member
    Lyon, France
    Slice of life visual novel, coming soon...?
    Absolutely! Everything past Windy Hill is a pretty shameless rip off of New Super Mario Bros of all games, but windy hill...well it's original in that it's the only zone that's lifted from a sonic game instead of mario, I suppose.

16. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    For being a ripoff of Green Hill, there weren't many "hills" in Windy Hill. Lost World is flat and blocky without any semblance of, y'know...actual ground? Actually that goes for pretty much every incarnation of Green Hill in 3D games.

17. arc

arc

Isn’t it odd that Sega is actively trying to hide the cyberspace levels? Pardon me if this has already been discussed, but this behavior concerns me.

18. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Windy Hill is as Green Hill as Emerald Hill is.

19. The Joebro64

The Joebro64

My theory is that they're embargoing the cyberspace levels (since they're reusing assets from previous games) to avoid taking the spotlight away from Sonic Origins. In fact, that may be why they decided to spread the entire reveal over a month - Origins is coming out and they wanted to let it breathe on its own first, but with Summer Games Fest coming they were forced to start Frontiers marketing early.

Of course, this is backfiring miserably, and has possibly made it worse - all anyone can talk about is Frontiers at this point.

20. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    This isn't this guy's problem specifically but I'm kind of fed up with these sonic tubers/figures trying to make you feel bad for looking forward to the game, lol. Sorry that I got different taste than you, I guess?