don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. synchronizer

synchronizer

I hope the Launch Base tracks get fixed. The loop point really doesn’t work compositionally.

2. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    My guess is once you fully unlock the museum, coins will become redundant and maybe you can unlock an option to play Anniversary Mode with lives (or Classic Mode in 16:9?)

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Makes sense to me.

4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Won't there still be coins even without the museum, because of the continue feature? They'll never technically become redundant

5. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I don't know about you guys, but I've learned how the special stages work, so coins are essentially redundant to me after the museum. Not to mention a lot of people just skip the special stages entirely.

6. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    I think this makes the most sense. If they vanish after completing the museum that takes away a feature they just advertised yesterday, so yeah. I think you're right.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Seems like you can always earn more coins via missions although it is not clear if mission coins can be repeatedly earned or are only a one time deal per mission.

8. Harper

Harper

For me personally, I don't mind coins being forced in 16:9. Lives haven't mattered to me in over a decade, so virtually nothing changes. I die and go back to a checkpoint no matter the outcome. However, I do believe that the option should be there for purists. It's weird that the aspect ratio and lives aren't their own separate toggles.

9. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Looks good! I'm pretty sure there's one more snippet in the latest "Speed Strats" promo vid though - there's a segment where Sonic turns around and sees Tails following him, but the foliage in the scene matches Sonic 1's Green Hill Zone rather than Sonic 2's Emerald Hill Zone, suggesting it's not from one of the Sonic 2 cutscenes.

10. Hydra Spectre

Hydra Spectre

Tails Fan Member
    Probably the ending for Sonic 1 serving as a sequel hook to Sonic 2, even if Sonic 2 and its opening plays directly after.

11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I considered that, but decided it's not likely as Sonic CD is the next game in sequence in Story Mode, not Sonic 2.

Plus, if they're following the plots established in the Japanese manuals for the games, Sonic shouldn't meet Tails until he reaches Westside Island anyway. Personally I'm hoping we see them meet in the Sonic 2 opening scene, and that if possible they lightly reference the version of that event we see in flashback in Sonic Adventure. It'd be cool to see the events matching up between the two, particularly as the flashback in Adventure is voiceless just like the Origins cutscenes.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  12. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Honestly I'm very unhappy with the mandatory removal of lives in wide-screen.

I consider lives to be a fundamental mechanic of Sonic 1. The game is short and is designed to be played over and over so the player can discover where shields, lives, and shortcuts are in the levels. This is not the same as trial and error, because the player gets better by learning more about the level rather than memorising in advance what hazards are coming up.

Removing lives completely undercuts that entire game experience.

If people want to disable lives thats fine. I disagree with playing the Classic Sonic games with infinite lives but people can play it that way if they want. But they should not be forcibly taken away.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 3
    • List
  13. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Seeing as missions have ranks I'd assume you can grind them.

14. Pengi

Pengi

(30 seconds into the video.)

The spiky green plant is from Sonic 1's Green Hill Zone, but palm trees and the hillside patterns/brickwork are from Sonic 2's Emerald Hill Zone.

15. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Right, but once you achieve an S rank and get the 5 coins from said S rank can you repeat it for more, or will no further coins be offered?

16. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    You're right - that's what I get for viewing it on my phone, haha. Still, the meshing of two locations situated on two entirely different islands still makes me think this could be part of the intro sequence rather than a first glimpse of Sonic 2's introductory cutscene.

EDIT: I take it back - missed the first brief shot of Tails seen from the back, which shows the Emerald Hill trees and ground in a lot more detail. Seeing both shots together, it now feels more like something out of a story scene after all...!

Also - just realised, is this the first confirmation we have that the original Sonic CD ending isn't plagued by frame-blending issues anymore? There's a distinct lack of blended frames during that Sonic/Metal Sonic race sequence...!

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
  17. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    That thing with the chaos emeralds flying leading into the speed strats logo appears miiiiight be part of the intro as well but I also think is probably from story mode.

18. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    I reckon that's from the Sonic 1 ending or the Sonic 2 opening, showing the Chaos Emeralds flying off to their next destination - you can see Westside Island in the far background.
    The thumbnails shown in the Famitsu stream show Angel Island appears in the Sonic 2 ending scene, presumably showing the Death Egg crashing into it and knocking it out of the sky. So there's precedent for locations showing up early to tease what's upcoming. However, unlike that situation Sonic 2 isn't the next game in sequence, which is what makes me think it may be part of that game's intro instead.

19. RDNexus

RDNexus

That scene was already present in Sonic2 2013...

20. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    Something I've noticed from the Islands main menu in Origins is the a button prompt at the bottom on Never Lake and Angel Island that allows you to "Swap Island". Presumably this allows you to switch between Angel Island being grounded/in flight and Little Planet being present and chained or freed. Nice little detail.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • Like Like x 1
    • List