don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    I'm like halfway sure that Hyper was always intended to be canon, but just never showed up again because Izuka/Sonic Team as a whole were like "we don't want to keep making forms, and having to keep up with all this, so regular Super Sonic it is". I swear I remember reading that somewhere in an interview.

2. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Ooh, very interesting. Hoping that footage of Sonic in Sonic 3 & Knuckles' Death Egg Zone is an indication that you can just have plain black letterboxing in Classic Mode if that's your preference - I personally find having extra imagery decorating the sides of the screen really distracting.

3. That Tails intro looks really good.

Wondering if Launch Base will use Alone or & Knuckles layout?

4. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    How do they even get that wrong more than 20 years after it debuted???

5. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    HCZ2 seems to be using the 3K layout. I can only assume they're using the 3K layouts everywhere (as a basis at least, they might tweak things like the barrel, but we'll have to wait and see.)

I'd assume they're using 3K layouts anyhow, since 3A is kind of a prototype of sorts, while 3K is the finalized polished version. Also, they're marketing it as 3K and not 3.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Snowbound

Snowbound

IF there are extra characters anywhere in the game I suspect it would be in 3K considering that is a whole new remake. Don’t get your hopes up tho.

7. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Fucking spoiled kids with their coins. Back in my day, when we failed a special stage, we just got booted out and told by the game 'you suck ass try again.' Nowadays you kids have those goddamn coins and can retry your special stages. Back in my days, our feelings got hurt! Back in my day we needed skill!

8. Eeyup…

Just going to note that the Sonic 1 and 2 remasters could have the special stages restarted from the pause menu of all places, so this is technically a nerfed version of the restart potential present in the original remasters.

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'll be lucky if I even have 50 rings by the end of a Sonic 1 act or for checkpoints in 2, anyway. There's a lot of reasons why I never get an all-Emeralds run in those games, and most of them involve a skill issue.

10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    And to add to that, you could quit before failing the Special Stages in Sonic CD 2011, and start them over by reloading your save.

11. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Lol it's funny you mention this because I love the fact you can retry special Stages now, if only because after playing these games for about 28 years I've gotten the challenge I need in that regard and no longer have the patience. If I screw up let me just do it again because I've done it hundreds of times before so it's not like I'm not going to beat it eventually. More just delaying the inevitable.

I want Super Sonic by the end of Emerald hill and that's that :colbert:

That being said sometimes I do emerald-less runs if I feel like the challenge. And now that we have a new version of S3K I'll once again do the 3 Super Emerald (Sonic & Tails, Tails, Knuckles), 3 Chaos Emerald (Sonic & Tails, Tails, Knuckles), 2 no Emerald save slots (Sonic, Knuckles)

It'll be weird having Super Tails available with just chaos emeralds. So is Flicky Tails now Hyper Tails?

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
  12. RikohZX

RikohZX

Also if there's one big beef I have with potentially referencing the PC versions of the prototype tracks, it's the way they're interpreted, as they were by the Complete folks and by how most seem to interpret them until the Prototype came out: the main instruments were redone and sound a lot more "blocky", as if raw PSG notes without any finer tuning and instrumentation, and everyone just thought that's how the songs were supposed to sound.

I think that's a major contributor to why they never sound quite right for me, and why I hope Jun really gets to hear the Prototype versions too for better reference instead of entirely basing them off of the PC versions.

13. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Yeah, the new Tails intro looks good. Can't wait to see what Team Stealth have done for Knuckles' intro.

This Scrap Brain mission is the "Caterkiller Swarm" mission:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They also teased another mission where you have to make your way up by bouncing on bumpers:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 16, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Incredibly minor, but I noticed the ending cutscene has fixed the previously mirrored “CINOS” Tornado sprite

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Yeah, I’m at a point now where it’s like, I don’t need to prove anything to anyone, I’ve beaten all of these games countless times. The last time I played both Sonic Spinball and Aladdin (games I played to death as a child) I used the rewind features because who cares? I already know I’m a bad enough dude to beat Robotnik/Jafar.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  16. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

I have only ever collected the Sonic 2 emeralds on hardware once, literally last year, and that was enough for me lol

I’ll take the coin retries

17. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Sonic 2 took me 9 years to finally beat and i did it as Tails.

I remember one close one vividly. I was Knuckles, had about 23 lives and 4 continues... game overed. 10 year old me was pissseeeeedddd

18. RikohZX

RikohZX

I think the first time I earnestly beat Sonic 2 in full with one full, proper playthrough and no breaks, saves or level select was with Knuckles on the Sonic Classics Collection in like, 2010? And I still used a save on the Death Egg to try the final boss over and over and over because of the no rings factor.

Anniversary/Story modes having no lives basically just means I'd be repeating that anyway here.

19. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I too recall once having double digit lives and a handful of continues and could not beat the final bosses. Pretty sure if I showed kid me the strats I would have lost my shit.

20. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    I think I managed to beat the first two Sonic games when I was 6 or 7, but the trade-off for spending all my time playing video games at a young age was having zero social skills :V