don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Funny you mentioned that, I mocked this up earlier today but only posted it on SSMB:
    [​IMG]
    I think I got everything right. Nobody's contradicted me, at least. The one thing I didn't mention is I'm pretty sure the air dash is just the air boost, like in Colors. However unlike Colors, it seems to always act the same and not require you to be out of boost energy (a thing I didn't like)...because I guess this game doesn't have boost energy. It's sort of a middle-ground between the boost and Lost World's run button.

Though if I'm honest, I know at some point there's gonna be a mod that nixes the double jump and boost (assuming you don't need it for anything else) and places the air dash and homing attack on the A button, and honestly I'm not complaining about that. If the nature of these modifiable physics (and the...potential? presence of any kind of downward momentum) has anything to say, we may be able to jury-rig the closest thing to a Sonic Adventure game in sixteen years.

I don't know how Sonic executes the special combat moves. Maybe it's on the left trigger.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Given the sheer volume of moves and the talk of a practice function during loading screens a la Bayonetta, I imagine Frontiers will have input commands for the flashier moves.

3. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    Perhaps some moves are different depending on which "mode" sonic is in, I also see it likely skills may be swapped out depending on what you want kinda like the skills in generations where you have a certain amount of skill points and different skills need more or less.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    I know I'm more positive on this than others but idk seems like 80% of the previews are like "fun with some jank" and then there's this, I feel like this guy just might not be into it

5. That article just reads like every impression people had of the first IGN reveal glued together with bad jokes to fit a space requirement. I don’t care if someone dislikes a game, but at least give some new information if you actually got to play the thing.

Gotta say that Fanbyte article rubbed me the wrong way with how the author compared the Cyloop to some mechanic from Pokemon Ranger (which I’ve never even heard of and seemed to be a bit of a flop) rather than the much more obvious paraloop from NiGHTS. The rest of the article was much better than the GamesRadar piece though, talking about the problems with the punch and such.

6. JW.

JW.

Whilst I agree with some points made from the previews we've seen so far the writer seem to just not like change? Complaining about upgrading skills etc as if it's inherently a bad thing just because it's in a sonic game? Very odd.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2022
  7. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

Between the gamepla footage from someone who actuall knows what the're doing, and all the talk of the story (as much as it might chafe the oldbies), I'm feeling a bit more positive on this game.

Though a lot of the previews seem mixed. Some people love it, others seem to not like or find more issues like this one.

Ooof... do we know what hardware the demos are being played on? PC, PS4 or god forbid, the Switch?

8. This is definitely a game that feels more reminiscent of the more experimental early 3D Sonic games, with the same amount of divisive and mixed reception that implies.

And to be fair to that GamesRadar preview, Iizuka did say he expected these type of reactions simply because this is unlike any other Sonic game to date, so there's not much to compare it too.

Combine it with the obvious jank and I'm not surprised that some people just aren't feeling it.

9. VenomTH

VenomTH

The mock-up looks really good. I can't find anything clearly wrong with it. If I recall correctly, the only official button mapping that has been confirmed is Boost on R2/RT. One of the early 4Chan leaks also mention Spincycle/Cyloop being on Triangle/Y. If everything else is similar to past games, then these should be natural button mappings.

10. Childish

Childish

Pigs wiggle when they walk Member
    Shady lane
    Sonic 4 Blast Processed
    PC, there's leaked images with win10 task bars and such.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Wow, it honestly doesn't even feel like that guy hates Sonic games or change, it feels like he just hates video games.

That being said, he's not the first person to give a negative impression; PCGamer's write-up was basically "this looks bad but at least it should be a lot of fun". But Wood in this article goes on to say that he exclusively uses the homing attack for combat unless the cyloop is explicitly required. This sounds to me like someone who just... doesn't want to engage with the game? If that makes sense. I don't want to assume bad faith, but we've seen footage and gotten impressions from people playing this game and they said, while the combat isn't revolutionary, there are opportunities to defeat enemies and solve problems in more than just one way.

The only useful information I got out of this was that you can disable motion blur (thank god), and the parry action doesn't require timing - apparently you can just hold it indefinitely. There's also this...

...which is interesting, because I don't recall seeing any loops in the footage we've seen, other than 1 single loop next to that emerald-shaped fixture in the sky. Obviously not counting rail "loops" that hang 500 feet above the ground.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  12. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    [​IMG]

"This looks not fun, but at least it'll be fun"?

13. …Why would you do that? How do mess up a simple mechanic like this that badly? Half or more of the appeal and satisfaction of such a mechanic is the input, having to time it properly. Why would you just…

I am amazed. That is honestly just hilarious.

14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    I didn't write it, so it's probably best to read their write-up than for me to explain

In short though, bad =/= you can't have fun.

15. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ah the Sonic R method

16. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    I think something’s up with that. Maybe they screwed something on the demo build but I find it very hard to believe that the counter would be intentionally busted when the rest of Sonic’s moveset is so well put together in terms of its function.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. To make it as automated and hand holds\y as these “platforming challenges” where you just rail grind

Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
  18. You can never really tell with this series...but messing up basic features done in better games is essentially their MO, so fucking up DmC'S royal guard is par for the course.

Something I've began noticing with game journalists is that some of them really don't like to put much thought into the games they're playing, which I kind of get because they usually have to go over a huge log of games in a short period of time; they simply don't have the time to really explore the depth of these games.

So anything that's not immediately intuitive and to the point is "bad design" regardless of the context.

Its not really fair, but it is what it is. Its why replayability is less valued nowadays as a whole.

19. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    Maybe Sega wanted to sabotage IGN since they keep hating on Sonic. :ruby:

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List