don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    This is SEGA we're talking about. Be realistic, they're morons.
    PREPARE FOR THE GLORIOUS RETURN OF THE JAZZ BAND!

Jokes aside, you're probably right but I definitely wouldn't put it past SEGA to repeat this mistake.

2. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I hope sonic talks every five seconds just like he did in Heroes.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

Regarding guy who may or may not have played Frontiers.

I asked if he's doing a full writeup of said game for an outlet.

https://twitter.com/Megazx456/status/1536107021702938624?t=juoLzXLazuCdpondaTWPGw&s=19

Yes he is.

Also... as to how he got to play it without an appointment.

It's possible he just asked? Everyone at that event has been pre-vetted as being allowed to have full press credentials, everyone was given the same press pass access.

I mean, if you have a free slot and someone with the exact same press access asks... it's not unheard of to let them play your game.

4. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Not that I think he's necessarily lying, but he's put himself into a position where he made all these claims and I see replies asking him to explain his story and how he got to play the demo and he just dunks on people or says some shit about how he feels crucified for talking bad about Sonic. It really feels like dodging the question, again he could be telling the truth but why would you back yourself into a corner like that? Most of what he's saying checks out just fine and matches what we've been hearing. I don't get why people act like this tbh, like they could easily clarify and give themselves more credibility

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  5. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    At a point, people quickly piled on him for daring to misconstrue Sky Sanctuary as being from Forces instead of Generations, and asking about NDAs. At a point when you're under fire like that, you clam up and get defensive. It makes enough sense. Again, either way, we'll get official no-doubt impressions before long.

6. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Litterally 2 days. I have no doubt IGN has something else for Tuesday, and whatever it is will have a certain amount of what was in the demo @ Play Days, and that's when we'll get the impressions on those aspects from the people who played it (as some have stated there's multiple embargos for specific portions, which would probably mean "whatever IGN gets to reveal first").

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Just since I don't think it all got posted here, here's some cleanup from SGF.

We got a look at the map screen:

[​IMG]

Those blocks are probably unlocked as you move through them, but I'm guessing there are larger sections unlocked by using the pillars or whatever it was the IGN guy mentioned. The blue bar in the top right probably says "Kronos Island". I'm not sure what the black boxes below it are. There are seven of them, each with different sets of icons, so maybe they're the cyberspace levels and you can just warp into them from the map screen. There appears to be some...waveforms(?) at the bottom of a couple of them? Dunno what that's about.

We've also got more shots of the totem miniboss:

This is probably the intro animation.

And here's Sonic breaking a segment of it.

Finally, because I'm apparently some kind of fucking chode, I went and looked back at the cutscene footage. We have a low-res look at one, but the stream kept buffering or something, and I think I can do better. So here's char0613's upscale, with the parts where the screen freezes cut out:

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  8. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I don't know much about the guy, but the fact he's uninterested in Sonic makes it seem more likely to me.

9. A follow up video to the one posted a few pages back, specifically covering the newer footage and Iizuka's interview, specifically talking being worried how the framework of Frontiers and 3D Sonic games in general will be in the future.

10. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I still don't 100% agree with everything this guy says but he raises some interesting points.

I'm kind of wondering if Sonic Team approached the design of Frontiers in a completely backwards way. Like, usually you work on your character's movement mechanics first then build a world based around those mechanics but Frontiers is kind of giving me the impression that maybe Sonic Team jumped into making an overworld first and then worked on Sonic's moveset after?

either way, the short glimpses of hands on gameplay we're currently seeing at SGF are grabbing my interest way more than the initial video they posted at the start of the month lol

11. Doing things backwards is definitely a Sonic Team move to make...

12. MH MD

MH MD

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Hamzawesome

Hamzawesome

Hands-on from Easy Allies, new footage looks more polished than the IGN footage.

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
  15. That looks way better.

16. PicklePower

PicklePower

Wiki Sysop
    They started with looking at the overall aesthetic of Breath of the Wild and said "let's put Sonic in that".

17. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    Oh. The tower boss with the spinning ring thing looks like a lot of fun. And the floating platforms there at the end are still making me wonder how the hell you're supposed to get to those places. Which is fantastic! This got me very excited.

Also the hearts seem to function a LOT like Mario 64 stars/comparable collectibles in how they appear, sit there on the map and have you wonder how you get them.

So that's good.

18. MH MD

MH MD

the gameplay here looks so much better

The parry looks sick! the boss looked really good, with all that dodging, it almost looked like DMC-lite

why they didn't show this in the beginning is beyond me, even EZA were confused cause they had negative impressions too but when they played it they had much better impression of the whole thing

19. Zigetch

Zigetch

Enjoy this world~ Member
    Georgia
    Screenshot_20220613-095133.jpg

Frieza confirmed.

That footage has restored my excitement for this game. It looks like a lot of fun now.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  20. MH MD

MH MD