don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Nope I also always liked that song too and found it fit the stage just fine.

Again, subjective tastes.

2. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    It might help to remember that LBZ was never meant to be the final level in the grand scheme of things.

3. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I hope Big Arms is there by default. Otherwise we are missing out.

4. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    Well, sure, but it's still a significant point in the story. Not only is it Eggman's home base, but it's the level where Sonic realizes "oh shit, the Death Egg is still alive and about to launch again". Prior to that, he has no idea, and unless the player read the manual, they don't either. The level ends with the thing launching and Sonic knocking it back down. For such a significant turning point, proto LBZ sounds too "heroic", like it's the kind of theme Eggman would play for himself and his robots.

5. RikohZX

RikohZX

Well, considering the three zones of changed music are flanked by Marble Garden and Mushroom Hill, which are both pretty poppy, energetic themes, I don't think the devs were going for a moodier, more atmospheric soundtrack ala David Wise's work with DKC, but then I guess it's why some think there was an entire MJ Sound Team alternate soundtrack and not just these replacements.

I don't hate Sonic trying different genres so long as they're not.. all super aggressively similar things like Forces tried, but I'm of the mindset that if Sandopolis is aggressively Egyptian, Ice Cap can at least be fun snow. But I dunno.

6. Blastfrog

Blastfrog

See ya starside. Member
    I disagree with the people who say that the proto Knux theme doesn't fit because he's not actually a villain. First time players would not know this. The last time the theme is ever played is during Sonic's battle with him, when he is still being antagonistic.

7. Harper

Harper

Same here. Honestly, it's the only thing I'm worried about when it comes to Origins.

8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    The thing with Big Arm is that it sucks fighting three bosses in a row. I hope they've still included it, but maybe put something between so the halfway point of the game doesn't feel like such a marathon.

9. corneliab

corneliab

Honestly, I've never even liked Big Arm that much. It's pretty bland and has the irritating distinction of being one of those kinds of "wait awhile until you can hit it" sort of bosses. Yeah, it's hardly the only one of its kind, but I'm still not a fan (and I think it's poorly-suited as a final boss in vanilla Sonic 3). In the final 3&K game, I feel like its role as a Knuckles-exclusive fits it better.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    they sho uld remove big arm because it scared me as a kid.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    I still wonder if Big Arms was hastily made after the game was to be split in half as a stop gap end boss or not.

12. I find it funny that I never see people talking very much about Sonic & Knuckles' giant Death Egg Robot (well, unless you count The Doomsday Zone); it's always Big Arms. I honestly always liked S&K final boss, it just felt so epic and "oh shit, we're in the final of the game" vibes. I also think the final boss theme fits MUCH better in the Death Egg Robot than the Big Arms boss.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
  13. corneliab

corneliab

It's great, and it knocked my socks off as a kid. Love spindashing between the fingers to blow 'em up quickly. Eggman trying to flee as the walkway collapses behind you always felt really cool to me.

The Sonic & Knuckles endgame gives me the vibe that the devs were seriously unsatisfied with how Sonic 3 ended, lol.

14. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    S&K's Death Egg Robot is still the golden standard for classic Sonic bosses for me. Three phases, big, grand, nervewracking, really hard to cheese it with a super form because of the boss right before it, clearly using the game's macguffin in a practical way.

Tbh I was pretty disappointed that Mania's final boss wasn't the Titanic Monarch itself...

15. Mustapha

Mustapha

A+ Oldbie
    A+
    A PLUS
    I’m all in for keeping the arm boss.

Also hoping there’s a “legal”, glitch-free way for Super Tails and Knuckles in Doomsday Zone.

16. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    I vote to keep the Big Arms boss but with better coding and more thoughtful attacks, otherwise just to can him because he's a boring boss overall

17. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Big Arm might not feel like an epic enough final boss in S3 when compared to Death Egg Robot in S2 or Doomsday Day zone in S&K, but works well as a mid-way fight in 3K (kind of like how Metal Sonic is in Mania). The music, sky going dark and Eggman's horizontal attack gives the fight quite a dramatic & tense feel (which is absent when fighting BA with Knuckles).

I always thought BA was popular and that most fans were disappointment with it's removal from 3K, so I think Team Stealth will have pushed for it to be included in Origins.

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I have nothing against Big Arms, at least it does something. Lava Reef's boss, however...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  19. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Whenever I get to the Hot Mobile I choose not to activate Hyper Sonic because the boss is so boring. I need something to do.

Not to mention the damn lava is burning your eyes.

20. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    I activate Hyper Sonic and then go and get a drink.