don't click here

Tails Tube

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Blue Blood, Mar 24, 2022.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    It's there in Windii's translation:

10:12

Found a playlist of her things reuploaded, though I'm still wanting the originals back.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Yup, I just checked Windii's translation. It's also consistent with this.

Edit: Ninja'd.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    No, the line is "No-one calls me that any more", implying he learnt about the change from his future self. I see no issue with the "Sonic called me it as an insult but I decided to own it" rule that keeps his name as it was.

EDIT: Blah, whole lot of ninja'ing. My post stands, though.

4. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

Or at least the guy animating him watches a lot of movies

5. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    That is... odd?
    Are we certain that the original script for Generations was made in Japanese and not in English?

6. MastaSys

MastaSys

Nothing in there implies that's the case, no time frame is pointed out or implied.

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I think this was being written by American writers at this point, same with the rest of the series Sonic Colours onwards. I still go with the Japanese, however, since that tends to try and be consistent, and not have the writers looking at Wikipedia for Sonic Lore.

Would not surprise me if this is also where Two Worlds returned from...

8. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I can't find a source, but I think it was said somewhere that from Colors onwards, Sonic Team provides the US writers with a concept/outline. The US writers then write a script which is then localized in Japan. So for Generations, the original script would have been in English.

Edit: Ninja'd

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Just call me the Continuity Ninja.

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    That also always was my interpretation back then. Because since Classic Tails calls him "Robotnik", and supposing Classic Sonic, Tails and Eggman are from the same point in time, that would mean Classic Eggman in his exact past was still known by his name Robotnik. And since Classic Eggman says "nobody calls me that anymore" despite Classic Tails doing it, that would mean he knew about the change from knowing the future.

11. MastaSys

MastaSys

My interpretation is that he calls him Robotnik because it's his real name, it's simple as dat. More so from a green Tails in the beginnings of his adventures with Sonic.
    Why the Doctor would splatter his name on his giant ships (ex: 29 EGGMAN-01) if it's a name he dislikes/unaware of?

Unless it's something made from Generation's time travel shinanigans, I can go for that.

(For me anything shown in classic games precedes manual flavor texts, in no world Knuckles stuff happens at the same time as Sonic's in S3K)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  12. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

That was just SoA's clueless localization. The Japanese manual didn't say such thing.

But yeah, the Eggman name and egg theme were definitely present in the classic games.

13. MastaSys

MastaSys

Also for the argument's sake, I'd like to remind everyone that, technically, what makes the Doctor go into a angry tirade in Adventure is being called an "Giant Talking Egg", not "Eggman" (directly at least) per se.

(I mean he uses E-G-G-M-A-N as an password in the same game...)

I think many are taking the "Rockman-MegaMan" stance on this where Sega takes it more like Mario 64 Peach's Letter.

But I'd say the real crime here is that Orbot is losing his sass/SA-55 for years.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  14. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    For what it's worth, Flynn has always favored the idea of Eggman being a nickname that he reclaimed. I remember him having a little interaction about it with Charles in one of the Iron Dominion comics.

15. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Oh, yeah, it's when he's crazy and locked up in a cell (Archie was fucking nutty lol) and Chuck saying the name to him was basically the spark that allowed Eggman to begin reasoning himself back to "sanity".

16. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Man, I loved Eggman in that arc, funny when spitting nonsense, and fucking menacing, when Snively got to him at the end.
    I always read his Archie lines with Bristow voice.

It's also nice that they acknowledged Gerald, and clarified that Eggman took care of GUN in forces.

17. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Honestly I was like, 12 or something when I first read that arc and it has always unnerved me.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I don't think he took care of them, he just says put them in their place: could be they tried to interfere and were sent packing with a bloody nose...

19. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    I don’t know if perhaps English isn’t your first language, but they mean “took care of” in the sense of “neutralised as a threat”.

20. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I am British, born and raised, so I'm well versed in the English Language. It's subtext that baffles me.

Took care of sounded like 'destroyed' to me, rather than neutralised. But fair's fair.