don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Snowbound

Snowbound

I wonder if the story mode will change the canon of Sonic 1 NOT being Sonic’s first encounter with Eggman. I bring this up because many people have placed SegaSonic as Sonic’s first battle against eggman in their head canons.

2. I hope they do no such thing, but instead re-iterate that Green Hill is not their first, or possibly even second/third/etc, encounter. Ideally SegaSonic would finally be confirmed as a prequel, but I'd take a simple allusion to it as a victory. It is bound to happen sooner or later as evidently a master timeline is being sorted out finally. Plus the placement of CD was only recently firmly established, squashing that bizarre debate.

3. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    I don't think that's quite what he meant. The way it worked with Michael was that the way he wrote songs, he would beatbox out melodies and harmonies, and people like Buxer would create tracks based around that. The Huffington Post article implied that for Sonic 3, it was sorta like that, but more like Michael was throwing out ideas here and there and left Buxer to come up with the final product. When making an album, Michael was a perfectionist and wanted everything to be just right, but for Sonic 3, he seemed to take a much more laidback approach and trusted his team to take care of most of the work.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I wonder if Archie has anything to do with this headcanon people have since that adaption was done as a flashback with Sonic meeting Mighty and Ray as a child.

5. Maybe for other folks, but not I. I base the placement of SegaSonic on the manual for S1 which explicitly states that Eggman has encountered Sonic before, along with how in SegaSonic Eggman was imprisoning Sonic and co. instead of seeking to slaughter them.

6. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Oh yeah, I forgot SegaSonic was the original Sonic Forces

7. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Retro Gamer is doing a behind the scenes special on Sonic Origins with comments from Taxman and Stealth. https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/retro-gamer-goes-behind-the-scenes-of-sonic-origins/

This comment from Stealth caught my eye:
    “There were a lot of planned enhancements at the time a Sonic 3 & Knuckles remake was first pitched, and I’m happy to say that many of them have made it into Origins along with a few fresh ideas from the new team,”

• Informative Informative x 15
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Swifthom

Swifthom

A Friend Remembers... Member
    And this is REALLY interesting.
    Because a lot of the speculation about why MJ isn't involved in the final product has been two contrasting scenarios 1) as speculation in media about his personal life swirled SEGA thought it would be a PR disaster and cut ties or 2) he wasn't happy with the sound quality and asked for this name taken off.

Ultimately I don't think this leads that question one way or the other - but it does give quite interesting context.

EDIT: pkderbar did a great job on last page summing up what we do know.

On another note - was replaying Mania the other day and actually started messing around in the Mean Bean mode.
    We know it works with the engine? It's probably not happening but imagine if a retro engine Mean Bean remaster was a hidden bonus? That would be just.... amazing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  9. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Excellent news. I'd love to read it - however, I can't seem to find any info on when this magazine should hit shelves. I know Retro Gamer isn't usually stocked in my area, so will have to make a trip out specially to hunt it down - would be useful to know when to attempt this! Anyone know when it's scheduled to drop?

10. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Just to note, it doesn't have any comments from Taxman as he was busy moving house. Stealth provides plenty of insight though, and there are also extra comments from some other familiar faces on the games in general.

It's out today.

I suppose I should note that I've written this feature. So any screaming anger you may have about it can be directed my way.

• Like Like x 9
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  11. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Oh, excellent - thanks for the quick response. Should have known you'd be on the case, haha! ; )

I need to take my car for repairs anyway this Saturday, so should hopefully have a good chance of finding a copy on the way or the way back. Fingers crossed! = )

12. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    For those who want a refresher on what the planned new features were in the 2014 pitch...

https://web.archive.org/web/2015100...mastered.com/sonic-3-remastered-features.html

The only ones really in question are how they handled the 2Player Stages (doesn't seem too likely they made them, but the assets HAVE been redrawn, which at least is interesting...)

and it's not exactly clear what "enhanced story content" will mean, though we know about the animated cutscenes and subtle improvements to the opening cutscene, so there's that...

Online competition, Time Attack Mode, and Boss Rush also seem to have been planned. There's a decent chance of getting these, I'd say, though as of now it's unknown if it's truly happening.

Any chance of a link to where we can buy a digital copy to support you?

13. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    Not sure of the original source, but a few new shots seem to have surfaced:
    https://twitter.com/MC1337_/status/1534879362197372930
    The first and third are nothing groundbreaking, just showing some Anniversary Mode Sonic 2 and Classic Mode Sonic CD. The second shot is the most interesting, showing a mission where Knuckles has to try to defeat 15 badniks in an airborne course above Spring Yard Zone. Feels weird seeing Batbrain badniks outside of Marble Zone, haha!

I can already see myself getting plenty sick of seeing those generic grey metal boxes in Missions, though - it'd be nice if they'd have had some way of making them appropriately themed for each stage. Though since the Mission Mode uses stages from across all the games in the collection, the sheer amount of them may have put paid to any ideas of that...!

EDIT: Source is apparently the official Southeast Asia Sonic the Hedgehog Facebook page:
    https://www.facebook.com/SonicOfficial.asia/posts/157750656755675

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. DefinitiveDubs

DefinitiveDubs

The Voice Maestro Member
    Cyber City
    Mega Man Zero: The Definitive Dub
    We know Boss Rush is in, since they showed it on Sonic Central. Time Attack is very likely since that costs basically nothing to add. Online competition, though, is very unlikely. That's something they definitely would've shown off if it was in.

15. NiktheGreek

NiktheGreek

Grumpy old bastard Oldbie
    Writing for the best video game magazine in the world
    Sure thing. Digital issues can be purchased through Pocketmags, Amazon Kindle, Zinio, the Retro Gamer iOS app and potentially other places too.

Print issues can be purchased at Magazines Direct (international shipping available). In the UK, WH Smith usually has it and some supermarkets do too. In the US, Barnes & Noble tends to sell the magazine, but at a high price and a month or two behind the UK issues.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    OP's reply gets several things right about Michael's creative process, but if Buxer says he created most of the cues, we should take his word for it and not speculate beyond that based on our preconceptions of how he writes an album. The album-writing process is very different from something like this, and Brad is quite literally the composer / songwriter behind a lot of Jackson's work at the time. It's also clear Michael was very busy as a celebrity and as a touring musician; if he had just come back from a trip to Moscow, it stands to reason he had his hands tied. As much as the beatboxing demos played a part in the creative process much of the time, Brad is not a helpless drone who can't write a sound cue. Michael is not a talentless hack or something, that isn't what I said if that wasn't communicated well, but this is just the pop industry. It isn't specific to Michael's team, just as it isn't specific to Justin Timberlake's team. Again, considering this was a commercial project to compose instrumental backtracks, and Buxer is responsible for composing many of Michael's instrumentals, and Michael was likely busy with other work at the time, I'm going to take his word here. The other guy is dead though, so I mean... it's not like we can get a second opinion unfortunately.

The option 1 and 2 thing definitely raises the Big Question (tm), because it begs the question of if the scandal theory is true, why didn't Buxer know (or why did he lie)? But yeah, I realize that's been the debate for years now and nothing we uncover has seemed to yield any answers.

17. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    And a pre-emptive warning to everyone - don't post scans of the article, please. Support the people doing the hard graft on this. RG is a good magazine, I've been a subscriber for years now.

18. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    SEGA / Sonic Asia coming through with the goods once again! :)

Speaking of...
    Time Attack (Or a differently named mode of same function.) was confirmed some time ago via the Asia website pages for Sonic Origins, here. (My Data & Ranking image slide, on the second set of image slides, under Introducing Missions, Museum, and more! text.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Does Pocketmags require an app or anything? Really interested in reading your piece but I just want to download a .pdf and be done with it. :')

20. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

YES STEALTH!! That's what we want to see. Let's hope the pitched ideas that didn't make it were NOT the fully realised Comp zones. Christ, imagine! "we believe we can turn the competition zones into fresh, exciting new experiences" Sega "No, give them coins instead".