don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    I don't think Ritz was trying to say that though -- in fact, I think he was trying to say that it's mostly impossible to conciliate these preferences and approaches to Sonic and neither is more valid. Sounds to me like that, at least.

I mean, I'll enjoy Sonic Frontiers, I'm sure of it. I'll enjoy it a lot, and I'm excited about what it has to offer on its own terms. But I'll definitely approach it as someone who first conceived what a game is in that '91-'97 era. It'll be different fundamentally from the enjoyment a kid who'll first conceive what a game is with Sonic Frontiers.

And that's fine, beautiful even, but I suppose it'll make us speak different languages when describing what we like about it.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    We should've all become Pac-Man fans. The only good game franchise ever made.

Anyways, can't wait to hear Iizuka say tomorrow the same things as he did last year about open world.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2022
  3. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    They aren't. Palas got it right. Your obsession chooses you, not the other way around, and what you imprint on is entirely divorced from anyone's definition of quality. I don't even think Lange would say that if you pressed him on it- he's waging some ideological war with the expectation that the modern fans who confront him have developed their own independent framework for what made those games brilliant, and in most cases, they don't have one. And you don't have to- most people aren't wannabe gamedevs like us that are hellbent on deconstructing games to an atomic level to try and soak up the juice of whatever it was that made them great. But if you're not, why even engage with him? Take the L and go engage with something you're actually passionate about.

I remember when PPA stood alone as the sole Sonic 06 defender: He wrote a whole screed about how the level design was actually an improvement over the Adventure games because of its split paths, that the rest of the game just wasn't up to par. I didn't buy it, but I respect it. He was actually thinking about what he was playing. That's what I love to see!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Just to be sure: The 'confirmation' of Sonic Frontiers being in Summer Game Fest tomorrow is still a thing, right? The IGN interview tomorrow must be a separate thing from SGF.

5. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    pac-man just hasn't been the same since they gave him blue eyes...
    upload_2022-6-8_22-56-46.jpeg

• Like Like x 11
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Well, we never got explicit official confirmation, just a lot of winks and nods. But this new IGN video is not a "deconfirmation", if that's what you're asking. I think it may be a similar case to the IGN video and Sonic Central yesterday, except I don't think SGF is showing Sonic at 9:00 AM this time. That said, expectations low for this new video. I'm guessing it's more of the same B-roll as yesterday with Iizuka spouting a lot of the same platitudes.

Also, we need to get off this Lange discussion. It's become a rhetorical hand grenade where we spend more time trying to figure out who is worth listening to than what we individually believe.

7. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    We got semi-definitive confirmation when Frontiers appeared in the SGF trailer alongside all the other games.

As for if the YouTube video will be all there is... I really hope not. Technically they could just do the interview and it would still be "part" of SGF, but that's lame and I do not like it when people r lame

and ye I agree the Funny Bird Man's post has ppl talking in circles, idk what game this thread is for anymore

8. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Maybe people should stop posting until after tomorrow's video then. =P

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Snowbound

Snowbound

5C08F85C-92F1-40C4-A214-AA9D13E7AEC9.jpeg
    “lessons learned from Sonic Adventure”... oh boy I suspect that the discourseTM is about to get real heated tomorrow.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  10. Linkabel

Linkabel

The lesson is that they shouldn't have dropped Big and his fishing levels.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I mean, with all the world puzzles, a fishing mini-game isn't completely out of the realm of possibility. It being one optional thing technically fixes the biggest problem with Big's story.

12. For sure, while I had no problem with Big, his campaign really ought to have been optional. Had he been playable in SA2, with its forced linearity, I guarantee even fans of him in SA would despise his very existence retroactively. Any hopeful reintroduction of him should be entirely optional, but rewarding in some fashion.

13. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Well I mean, are we talking Big's gameplay, or Big the character? I don't hate Big as a guy, I just don't particularly enjoy the fishing levels.

Either way, I'm sure Flynn pushed for references or appearances by (insert character here) wherever he could.

14. corneliab

corneliab

We're talking about Big the elemental concept.

15. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    Well, Frontiers seems pretty big.

16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    I'm not sure if someone posted it this today, but:

6:41
    - Do you think as public opinion changes on Sonic 06 & Shadow the Hedgehog, SEGA would be more lenient in exploring ideas touched upon in those games? Dark/tragic themes, dystopian settings, etc Or is Sonic's identity now too strayed away from that "edge" it had in the early 2000s?

- At the risk of crossing a line, I'm gonna say: play Sonic Frontiers and then come back to me on that one.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. Palas

Palas

Don't lose your temper so quickly. Member
    I'm... strangely excited about this.

18. Turbohog

Turbohog

I'm ready to be heated already lmao. To me, it seems that Sonic Team has literally learned all the wrong lessons from Sonic Adventure.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Oooh, interesting to see Ian say that. Honestly, once we get a proper story trailer, he’s the person I want to be interview most. Sure, we get to hear him talk a lot but he’s been very tight lipped on Frontiers right now and I want to hear from him in an environment where he can more freely discuss his involvement in the game.

20. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

OR
    I'd be scared about that comment if I didn't know he was the one handling it. Guy knows how to make seemingly-freaky concepts fit into Sonic without being too jarring.