don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. While it looks like a few elements are missing (some trees in the background), I see that they've fixed an error that was on the bottom of the pillars there.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  2. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I don't think it was an error since they repeated those three times and the tiles on the base are unique. The origins version looks better but that doesn't mean the OG was wrong.

3. True, now that you've mentioned it, I can see it like that too.
    Don't think that means the new one is wrong either, probably just artistic choice.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

There's part of me that hopes with this upgrade that SEGA will have let them do some actual expansion of Competition Mode to make use of it all.

Like maybe some new course or even just some Easy/Normal/Hard variations of the current ones.

5. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Wtf... this game looks insane!

Since the release of Sonic 3 a whole 28 years ago, I have been waiting for something like this. Mania was awesome, but I always felt like Sonic 3 wasn't telling the full story. I can't believe SEGA actually listened, we're finally getting the sequel Sonic 3 deserved!!!

Knuckles looks fantastic in this game and that brief cutscene they showed in the mushroom zone (reference to the Sonic 2 movie??) definitely showcases that subtle charm I used to love out of these characters. At 1:01 and 1:29 in the trailer you can see what look like 2 new bosses, the second one is in a level that looks a bit like Lava Reef from Sonic Mania. And at 1:27 you see Sky Sanctuary, which looks surprisingly good translated to pixel art. It was one of my least favorite stages in Gens, but hopefully they've changed a few things here and maybe removed some of the bottomless pits... I actually don't mind a modern stage making a return here, because it fits so well with the lore. The Sonic & Knuckles fight also looks like a cheeky nod to Adventure.

Either way, I could not be more excited. Between this reveal and the recent confirmation of the "swappable soundtracks" thing in CD (I honestly think I still prefer the Nilsen/Young/Crew originals, but the new tracks in the Famitsu preview didn't sound bad! ), there's a lot here that we didn't see before.

How are we still talking about competition mode? The reworked competition art looks amazing, but like... idk Mania topped Sonic 3 IMO, and there's a chance "Sonic & Knuckles" could be my new favorite Sonic game. Maybe there's just so much to take in that we can't even scratch the surface.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  6. Snowbound

Snowbound

Oh my goodness, you’ve never played Sonic & Knuckles? THIS is why Origins is a big deal. You’re in for a treat :)

Edit:
    Wait was OP’s post joking? I just got off of work when I read that message but now I think I’m picking up sarcasm lmao

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  7. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Hoping the competition levels can be played full screen when only doing a single player for Time Attack or Grand Prix.

8. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

Looking forward to the long awaited follow up to Sonic 3 as well, it's gonna be great!

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

I'm not expecting anything reinvented or reworked in any real sense, so each new touch-up and detail I see, like the full sized characters in Competition or the extra snow particles for snowboarding in Ice Cap, are fun things to see for me.

10. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

It's funny talking about the VS mode glow ups considering just last week there was concern multiplayer wouldn't even make it in.

Really shows they're timing all these slow reveals.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The content in Origins is very inconsistent. Only now, two weeks from the release date we're getting info on the Sonic 3&Knuckles remaster.

We're only being surprised by these touches because it's Headcanon, though. If they handled the entire collection we'd see more new features in other titles too.

On the SEGA side, we got Sonic CD without Knuckles, Sonic 2 sprites being used in Sonic 1 menu interface and the infamous "let's make level layouts with gray boxes" from Sonic Forces in the missions. It's not unexpected to act skeptical about how they handled the games, that's why I'm actually focusing my thoughts on the museum and cutscenes. I'm sure there are gonna be surprises there for us :3

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. nesboy43

nesboy43

Some of the omissions makes me think there will be a Sonic Origins Plus next year. Would love to have Mighty and Ray as well as Chaotix/3D Blast (and the Master System / GG titles too).

13. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    T'was just a sleepy shitpost, but I appreciated the kind and earnest response :V never change

I'm even more confident I'm gonna be buying this day 1, after all they've shown. Mission mode on its own looks like a great time

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  14. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

While I'm not sure if the market is there for an expansion DLC for a compilation package, I would definitely still buy it, especially if it added a lot of the same extras like 3-4 player VS modes and an 'arrange mode' for some of the games.

15. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    Considering that Knuckles isn't in Sonic CD, the "Drop Dash" is just forcing a Spin Dash when you touch the ground, and the hardcoded HUD for things like missions, it seems like Sega themselves can't do a whole lot with these games. So, in order to make an expansion, they'd have to hire Evening Star and/or Headcannon again, and I'm not sure how likely that is for a compilation like this.

16. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

To be fair, there are definitely some people who still to this day have only ever played S3 alone or S&K alone, but the odds of them being an active member here are pretty slim :)

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  17. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

Actually do we have confirmation on swappable soundtracks for CD?

I’ve been assuming it’s the case, especially with the Genesis 2 Mini announcement specifically mentioning it can switch by choosing the region, but havent seen for sure

18. Turbohog

Turbohog

The taxman Sonic CD lets you switch soundtracks, so they'd have to go out of their way to remove the feature.

19. AzuraRacon

AzuraRacon

You could only do it in the Home Menu for that title iirc; something I assume that Origins won’t have for the individual games

So at minimum they’d have to put the toggle somewhere else

20. Harper

Harper

It was confirmed in the Rulicon interview.
    https://m.ruliweb.com/news/gameshow/PlayX4/read/166134
    Are the Sonic CD opening and ending songs Japanese or North American versions? Or is it possible to choose between the two?
    The songs on the Sonic CD are included in both the Japanese/European version and the North American version, and songs can be changed. We are preparing rare content that has never been released until now, so we hope you enjoyed it.”
    For those worrying about there not being a menu for OST toggling, it seems that SEGA recreated the original version's menu for Origins. The option is probably in here somewhere. FUbYSt4WQAc4ePK.jpg

• Informative Informative x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List