don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. MrMechanic

MrMechanic

How different are these to the original screens we got shown?

Just that my mind Palace seems to think the original screens looked this good, but the footage we've seen clearly is a downgrade. Visually at least.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  2. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I think the recordings just weren't that good. All that crust does wonders at making a game look worse. The screens from the Frontiers website look pretty comparable, though obviously due to them having the objects turned off I can't tell you what the draw distances are like.

Anyway, similar to the differences between the reveal and the IGN gameplay, I think there's some particle effects in the new shots that were missing in the gameplay footage, and some people on reddit are comparing the bubble enemy looking different from the trailer, though I think that's a trick of the lighting.

3. Crasher

Crasher

Why hello there! Member
    It looks like compression combined with lighting making it look duller than it's supposed to be.

4. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I like the designs of these Biblically accurate angel-ass enemies
    upload_2022-6-7_11-32-11.jpeg
    upload_2022-6-7_11-33-26.jpeg
    upload_2022-6-7_11-36-25.jpeg
    Genuinely interested to know what the lore is behind these freaks. They look kinda unsettling in an almost kid-friendly Lovecraftian type of way

5. RDNexus

RDNexus

Why are they like byblical entities?

6. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    They weren't saying that they're literally biblically accurate. They were saying that their design language resembles the horrific descriptions of angels given in the Bible.

Wheels of eyes and things like that.

8. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    it's mostly that one enemy that's just a mass of robotic eyes that reminded me of those depictions of Ophanim throne angels for some reason lol
    upload_2022-6-7_12-51-9.png

like Aerosol said, it's a similar kind of design language and is often used when creating creatures that are meant to appear somewhat unsettling or otherworldly

9. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Yeah those new screenshots definitely showcase reflections on the enemies that haven't been present in any footage up to now, though the models themselves and their textures seem to be unchanged. Also, I think odds are good that Frontiers will have a photo mode. I think the photo modes of Mario Odyssey, Breath of the Wild, Smash, etc. have done wonders for keeping those games current and talked about, especially with the photo competitions Nintendo ran for the games. Performance issues and arguments about Sonic being unfitting aside, Frontiers does have some cracking vistas which were clearly worked on with a lot of time and care and a photo mode would really squeeze more mileage out of them.

More generally, I think personally I'm liking the game the more I see of it. Sure, it's looking rough in places so far and the showcases up to now have been poorly executed, but I hope that further materials will help set expectations going forward, and I reckon that the simplicity of what we've seen up to now reflects the earlygame.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    Is IGN's coverage today at the same time as Sonic Central? I'm pretty sure I saw that they were both at noon eastern. That's a bit odd, though I guess it's possible if SEGA just didn't tell anyone about their own presentation until yesterday. Oh well, guess I'll check out IGN's impressions after Sonic Central.

11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Yup. Both are at the same time. Good thing my phone has picture in picture :oldbie:

12. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    Missed opportunity to have them announce "BE NOT AFRAID" when Sonic encounters them.

13. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    1st mod I'm installing.

14. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    you monster...

15. VectorCNC

VectorCNC

CNC Sculpture/Artwork
    I'm generally very negative toward modern Sonic, but I have to say, I'm not as negative on Frontiers... yet. It doesn't look that bad to me, and I expect the issues to be much resolved on release. Also, I don't know if anyone else saw this Youtube video I watched, I forget who the creator was, but they speculated that the world is incomplete intentionally, that Sonic has to construct it, and that this explains things like rails all over the place. It makes a lot of sense and seems like a fun idea, having to piece the world together for some purpose. Further, although I think the world lacks an identifiable aesthetic, it also seems to resemble Sonic 06 and I don't recall anyone complaining then. Stylized worlds existed way back in 2006, so it was intentional back then and I don't recall anyone complaining like now. To be clear, I feel I've been one of the most steadfast that Sonic lacks a clear identifiable aesthetic, I just don't understand why suddenly people are agreeing.

[Edited for spelling]

[​IMG]

16. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    The battle music should be from Bayonetta 1 or 2

17. A lot of them looks like the Angels from Neon Genesis Evangelion.

18. Arctides

Arctides

I am a bloated bag of hate. Oldbie
    Ideal DLC: Bayonetta costume for Sonic and music pack.

19. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    Sorry for responding to a convo from pages back just as we're getting new stuff, but some points I'd be remiss to not make:

Well, "they couldn't solve this 20 years ago, what makes you think they could solve it now?", with the tremendous leap in tech that has happened since, reads like an excuse, too.

Part of the reason there aren't as many Adventure clones is probably due to the scene for that not being as mature as the one for the classic games? That seems rather obvious.

20. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Ok that boss looked pretty damn interesting ngl