don't click here

Sonic Frontiers Thread - PS4, PS5, Xbox, Switch, PC

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by MykonosFan, May 27, 2021.

1. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    It's difficult to make a comparison without knowing what those criticisms are. Care to elaborate so as to aid discussion a bit?

2. AstroSeedP

AstroSeedP

3. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    I've noticed that SF6 has a simplified control scheme option which might cause some controversy.

Anyway my post was supposed to be a bit not too serious but it didn't come across very well. Sorry for being a bit baffling :V

4. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Don't sweat it, I got what you were saying! I am trying to springboard off your post into a more fruitful avenue of discussion though.

Namely, trying to get into Sega's headspace. Does anyone think they're genuinely surprised at the negative feedback thus far? I would say yes for sure if it weren't for the strange choice to release these videos through IGN first.

5. Snowbound

Snowbound

I gave Sega the benefit of the doubt when it came to marketing and man it blew up in my face. I hope that SOJ and SOA aren’t squabbling with each other again. As you point out Sonic US social media team does a significantly better job marketing. The fact that SOJ doesn’t recognize that has me worried that inter-company bullshit is what’s Sega from making the best decisions

Last edited: Jun 4, 2022
  6. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I'm trying not to yammer on about Frontiers' lousy animation because I think we all kind of agree on that front, even the people who are optimistic can agree on this I think

but like damn it really is a shame that it looks the way it does. The janky trick animations, the stiff limp punching animations, Sonic randomly resetting to his ground stance in mid-air. On it's own these may seem like nitpicks but you put them together and they start to paint a picture of this game's development and how certain areas have kind of been neglected.

Whatever Street Fighter 6's big controversy is, I'm not sure, but what I am sure of is that this game has the type of visual flair that really feels Triple-A. You can tell a lot of time was devoted to putting care and love into the character animation for this game.

Not trying to imply that animators at Sonic Team don't care about their work but more that their talents are being wasted compared to previous games (if any of those staff members are still around)
    upload_2022-6-4_0-5-53.gif

7. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Hey, it was my snark that took us in this direction, I'm the one who's sorry. Just me getting a bit frustrated, because I think there are genuine concerns over what we're seeing here, but I also think there's a real big chunk missing from our perception (I NEED to see these cyberspace levels). Obviously SEGA are the ones with a responsibility to show this stuff, but it feels weird to have such a comparatively withheld reaction when I'm usually on the offense or defense big-time come new Sonic announcements. I can make assumptions about the technical aspects getting polish, but the rest of this is such a mystery I'm afraid to say too much.

8. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Idk, it's hard to say how SEGA might feel because all we have to go off of is PR statements.

But considering how much they hyped this up, I think there is a real possibility they were expecting it to go over way better than it did. Or... did they really hype it up? I think WE hyped it up way more than they did, as did the leaks. Maybe I'm confused here, because now that I think about it SEGA didn't really go "you guys are gonna love this, we're about the change the game". Just normal PR buzz

9. Snowbound

Snowbound

What the SF6 trailer had that the Sonic Frontiers trailer doesn’t have is context and story. We’re introduced to a character’s motivation for traversing an open world THEN we get a glimpse at TWO different game styles. We don’t officially know why Sonic is on the island and we had to wait 2 days to see combat. Supposedly there are also cyberspace levels we haven’t seen. I get that they don’t wanna reveal everything; they want to leave us wanting to play the game and see more. What they’ve shown us however has made many people (myself included) disappointed and less likely to purchase the game

10. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    If this game does end up being another low/mid-tier Sonic game, I'm going to bet my first born child that in ten years time there will be people who will claim it was actually 'misunderstood' and that it was actually one of the most ambitious and experimental Sonic games of all time.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  11. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    That's the _other_ thing. Them being so tight-lipped over the story kind of begs the implication that the story is going to be a major draw for the game. But with 0 plot ties to any previous games I don't see how that can be.

12. BadBehavior

BadBehavior

It looks about what I expected combat in Sonic to look like. Some of the enemies seemed even tankier than 06 enemies so I hope some of the upgrades in that system include increasing damage. Or maybe theres a rock-paper-scissors system to the combat (use kicks on this one, ranged attacks on that one, like how the spin cycle makes enemies vulnerable) and the guy playing was just a dummy.

13. I honestly don't know why Sonic Team didn't made another Sonic Central, it would be the PERFECT opportunity to explain stuff about the game instead of a gameplay of full silence.

I really would have appreciated that.

14. Snub-n0zeMunkey

Snub-n0zeMunkey

yo what up Member
    I'm kind of intrigued by the general mystery behind the story, even if it's completely self contained.

In fact being self contained might be more appealing for me. It's all completely new territory.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
  15. Snowbound

Snowbound

5050A556-DD4A-43F7-94C6-85D713F03D80.jpeg
    ^This is an interesting notion and I encourage anyone who agrees to hit up twitter... but it seems the main issue is the lack of momentum physics. At this point is it possible to add that in? I’m legit asking. Some folks definitely think so. Others are saying that adding momentum would require the entire game to be redesigned.

16. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    [...] Sonic Adventure laid the foundation for 20 years of Sonic titles after its release, so in the same way I really hope that this new title releasing in 2022 lays the foundation for the following future Sonic titles – that is the idea behind the challenge for the team.

"With Sonic Frontiers, we are challenging ourselves to deliver an all-new style of Sonic action adventure. We're once again expanding the Sonic Universe, bringing in new environments and additional features, to create a totally new type of open-zone experience. [...] We focused on bringing Sonic to the next level and ensuring that he's fully represented as the character that fans know and love while still making his new form exciting."

?????????

17. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    What part of "normal PR buzz" does this not cover? He isn't saying this is the greatest thing since sliced bread, it is literally his job to find a way to say "this game will be good" without saying "I think this game is really good".

Note word choice like "the challenge for the team" or "making his new form exciting". These statements are future-proof.

The original question was whether or not Sonic Team is surprised by the public outrage, and considering all of these statements are just a PR formality, it's hard to know for sure whether they actually had confidence in the reveal or if they were just doing their job

18. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    Gonna be honest, I feel the movie redesign deludes everyone into thinking they can change every facet of the series now.

They only made that change because everyone was making fun of it, even people outside the fanbase and within Sega.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  19. Snowbound

Snowbound

I agree with you that it is VERY unlikely that Sega will make the changes people want here.
    I was trying to raise a different convo in bringing that up (and I did a poor job doing so) which is: if Sega added momentum physics would they basically be making an entirely different game? Do you think momentum could coexist with what they’ve shown off? Looking at the slopes I wanna roll down the answer seems to be yes... but how would momentum affect combat?

20. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    yeah like, how would momentum affect things like trying to go up that boss robot's arms? can you imagine how frustrating going up a surface that itself isn't perfectly flat?

okay, now the boss is too hard...what, are they going to go redesign it now? go look at everything that might be more difficult with more realistic physics now, this late in the process? there is absolutely no way momentum-based physics could be sanely implemented this late in development. not even with an extra year do I think that would be polished.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List