don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @E-122-Psi yes Mania also did the stretched screen but they did add the option to retain the proper aspect ratio with just 2 players when plus came about

And agreed it'd be nice if Sonic didn't just stand there smiling like an idiot, but I imagine they didn't want to draw any new sprites (but repurposing existing ones why not). That's actually one change I hope to see, some kinda wall added to Carnival night act 2 in the spot where Knuckles hits the Switch. You're blocked by an invisible wall originally. Hell, put the laser barrier from FBZ there until the lights turn off and then have it deactivate, anything except for pushing air like it is now.

Oh and agreed on the likelihood of proto tracks. It'd be one thing if it was just S&K music but the mix and match is very suspicious.

2. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Honestly in regards to Sonic 3s music its hard to know.

They used the Sonic 3 title select theme but then maybe they may have the SAK opening halfway through the game with that screens theme. Who knows? It's possible considering they've edited the beach cutscene. S3AK always did replace the Invincibility, boss, and Knuckles themes after all. No surprises there.

But then there is some cause for concern. They didn't show off the S3 music in Sound Test. Lol.

3. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    That livestream was surprisingly very meaty in content.. I’m thrilled that the vocals for the JP CD intro have returned, the CD intro looks beautiful, and Sonic 3 plays just as good as I thought it would in RSDK. The opening animation for Sonic 1 also looks really good and I can’t wait for Story Mode.

The big question mark is still the MJ tracks.. but with the reveal of the Sonic 3 alone title screen being played and the S&K themes being used for Knuckles and the mini boss, it’s looking like the beta tracks are going to be used here.

June 23rd can’t come soon enough!! So stoked for Origins!!

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Well there were those beta sprites, but those were Sonic 2 styled. :P

(I admit one disappointment with original S3 is that Sonic never emoted back at Knuckles, could have added to the rivalry, though granted it was for practicality purposes in the original, Sonic's sprite set was pretty much full.)

Maybe they just forgot to add control lock for that CNZ sequence.

5. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    They showed Sonic 1 in Story Mode and only Sonic is playable in Story Mode.

So pleased they've added back You Can Do Anything's vocals to Sonic CD.

This collection looks excellent so far.

Edit: meant Story Mode.

6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    So pleased that Sonic 2 has 2P Split screen, and it's got all the extra Zones/characters from Sonic 2 Mobile.
    It would be neat if Sonic CD/Sonic 1 had 2P split-screen. I guess it's possible as we haven't seen their title screens in Anniversary mode yet.

I loved the Sonic 1 animation. It looks exactly as I dreamed of it. And I'm so pleased that's it based on the original Japanese story. I still can't believe this is happening!

The artwork in the museum is awesome. It's not just the usual recycled stock artwork.

Overall, it seems to be a decent package. There are some disappointing omissions that we already knew about (such as Knuckles in Sonic CD and the omission of extra modes/characters from Mania), but you can see all the care and love that’s gone in. Hyped! I think the last time I was this excited for a Sonic game was Mania.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yes but every time we've seen Sonic 1 with the character select screen it only shows Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles as selectable, but Sonic 2 had those 3 plus the two "& Tails" files. So unless Sonic & Tails is unlockable it seems to have been removed.

Which is also odd considering Knuckles & Tails was added as a file select option for this version of Sonic 2, but that was originally a level select only feature. So they added one option to one game and potentially removed an option from the other which strikes me as strange.

And now that I see Sonic 3 I have another question. What'll happen in this version if you put Sonic on a Knuckles path and vice versa? It was very broken originally but now? Who knows how they made it work.

8. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    Yeah, Sega's definitely cleared some licensing issues up if You Can Do Anything has vocals, from what I've heard. Has them on the Mega Drive Mini 2 as well. That's good to hear. No more instrumentals! Hurray!

Wonder if they cleared up the other big licensing issue that looms over...

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  9. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Watched it and liked what I saw. Too bad they didn't try out Sonic 3 Competition mode. Hoping the levels there are at least upscaled a bit, and of course the competition menu music used would reveal all regarding the Sonic 3 music situation lol.

10. RDNexus

RDNexus

I managed to get the pic from 1080p:
    [​IMG]
    EDIT: Map updated from Sonic Central video.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
  11. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    What the heck is that tower on the right of the Sonic CD area?

12. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

That appears to be Sky Sanctuary

13. Andrew75

Andrew75

Technical Artist Member
    Project AXSX(Sonic Xtreme) + Misc Projects
    We got a lot of nice info from the stream,

as for the streamers, one was a jpop ideal and the other her producer or was that the game’s producer? personally I Had lots of fun with the 2 streamers using my limited and bad Japanese , got them both to laugh at my Cho kakkoii comment in the chat. And they reacted to a few English speakers too but I don’t know if anyone caught that or not since they responded in Japanese for some.

14. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    It kinda does, but it also looks like it is docked on the coastline from that angle.

15. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

I just loved their interactions with the chat when everyone was saying “We want to see Sonic 3!!” It was very cute and funny but they knew what everyone was there for :V

16. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

Perhaps it was just how the camera was positioned since you can technically move the camera around the islands but I could be wrong

17. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    Yeah that's it. I just re-watched the stream and it is definitely Sky Sanctuary. You can see the depth and spacing as the islands all come into view, but the overhead angle and still shot from above gives it an odd illusion.

18. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Yeah it might have worked better to put it closer to Death Egg's launch spot so it doesn't look like an area of Sonic CD's island (assumed it was Metallic Madness at first).

Couple other details I noticed:
    * Sonic 2 vs has no 'countdown' theme when the player is running out of time.
    * Still a bit of lag with VS but a lot more smooth than the original at least.
    * The Sonic 3 title animation runs at the same frame rate as the original instead of Jam's. I'm kinda used to that really, but Jam's left me assuming that frame rate was down to slowdown rather than intentional pacing.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    @E-122-Psi I just watched Jam's Sonic 3 title screen and never noticed it was faster. But I think they slowed it back down so it better timed with the music?

Oh one thing I noticed in Sonic 3, Sonic has both the drop dash and insta-shield (they never utilize it, but early in the S3 footage Sonic insta-shields then a few frames later you hear that high pitch wind up noise, but just as that happens they let go of jump). Looks like it works when you turn on both at the same time in Mania or S3 AIR

Last edited: Jun 3, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 6
    • List
  20. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The speed of the title animation in the original game is entirely dependent on how long it takes to decompress the data. I'm not sure about Jam, but S&KC replaced it with a more consistent delay that makes it smoother and quicker. It's likely that the team working on the remaster simply wanted to recreate the original's appearance, as I did with a mod.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • List