don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. [​IMG]
    The guy accusing Belle of being plagiarized has officially protected his Twitter account (not sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing)...

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Alright, cool, saga's over, let's stop giving people like this the attention they crave, lest we enable a second Ken Penders. Don't let these jokers live in your head rent free like this.

3. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Yes. Unless they actually file a suit and make some actual news, let's let this end there, please.

4. [​IMG]
    Art by Gigi Dutreix; I have a feeling this will be the comic's next major story arc.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I kind of want them to redo Sonic Universe. Have a dedicated second series to characters other than the main cast in the same world, and put Surge and Kitsunami's search for family into that...

Sonic's World, perhaps? Like the old Sonic the Comic strips...

6. Well, it would make the wait between issues less annoying, but it'd also probably make following the comics harder (something that the Archie series is especially guilty of). Still, it wouldn't be impossible due to the sheer amount of artists and writers working on the series.

7. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    I'd love a story in the future that kinda delves into the past of Surge and Kit. I know that Ian has said "they're not gonna suddenly become heroes after the big fight, let's just wait and let them have their time" so I can imagine a future arc where they show up again and maybe start to change their ways having a companion story of sorts that explains their past.

This would be pretty slick, but like Alex said I think it's something that you could argue hurt the Archie comics a bit. I kind of prefer it being kept to the annuals/however they do it, but I would kind of prefer an upgrade that's more than small anecdotes like the annuals are. Though, perhaps that makes those stories more charming? Hard to say.

8. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    So long as they're careful with it, it shouldn't be too much of an issue, really. Besides, they do regular miniseries anyway, this just gives them a more regular output in conjunction with the main series.

9. Hydr0city

Hydr0city

> Kamikazee Member
    True, yeah - they have a good track record already. I wouldn't mind it being kind of like the miniseries, where it's just something they choose to make new comics for every few months. It'd be nice to get more exposition, but I also just really like the characters of IDW Sonic, even the minor characters like those Sonic fankids in that one Annual (?) story. Ian and Evan do a great job at making characters interesting and fun, and even if they're one-off characters, they help build the world.

10. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Honestly I think latter day Archie Sonic was fine. You just had the main book and Sonic Universe. Just two books that could either tell concurrent but unrelated stories (a la Tangle and Whisper) or that could come together to form a fuller narrative (a la Bad Guys and Imposter Syndrome). Two books is fine, allowing for more frequent releases of Sonic books without rushing Marvel/DC levels of necessary investment to have a full understanding of the story. Only other thing that would require caution would be to ensure a stable rotation of writing and artistic talent to ensure nobody is overworked, while still providing a high standard of quality work.

11. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Miniseries that were just less-frequent than a full ongoing book would be fine. I loved Sonic Universe, but looking back at it, I'm sure you could cut a significant number of issues or even entire arcs. The thing that's making it unbearable is that Impostor Syndrome has come out alternating with the main series, rather than alongside it, making the release schedule feel absolutely glacial.

12. Finally someone brings that up

Why is it that when the whole world was turned upside down we got bad guys in conjunction with the main book, but now that things are going back to normal imposter syndrome apparently needs to take up half of the main book's release schedule?

Like actually, I'm curious- has there been official word on this?

13. Probably Sega wanting Issue 50's release to coincide with the series' 31st birthday.

14. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    Not official word, just me asking you guys to put the pieces together to a non-official explanation that's more likely than "arr the evil Sega".

The Movie tie-in was originally leaked as a minisseries.
    There's always only one minisseries per year.
    Imposter Syndrome was printed interchangeably with the main book, making it, production-wise, moreso just the main book renamed than a separate parallel minisseries.

Consider if there's a more logical explanation here than "hrrr Sega ruined the pacing to make it the birthday!"

15. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

Would it be a first for SEGA to delay something so it coincides with a birthday instead of rush it? :V

16. The KKM

The KKM

Welcome to the nExt level Member
    Portugal
    IDW's Sonic the Hedgehog comic books
    If you misunderstand how Sega's relation with IDW works and what each party gets a say in, maybe that'd be a clever comment.

17. Well, since it's still about a month away, I might as well get your opinions; what is your favorite cover for Issue 50?

18. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    Fourdraine, as usual. I can't give an unexpected answer when she's so consistently-great at pushing the colors, gestures and composition.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Her art is so good I'm so glad she's a part of this series

20. upload_2022-6-2_18-36-2.png
    I like the art of this series, but uh... it can look awkward at times.