don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

Actually I'd quite like if they expanded Competition Mode with more stages really. An ice themed one is still needed as well.

I know Stealth and Friends said they'd like to make Competition stages in 1P but really I think it's the mode itself that could use some love.

2. SpaceyBat

SpaceyBat

United States
    Freedom Planet 2
    Yeah, based on what we know so far I have to assume that S3's soundtrack is the same as always but that the prototype tracks appear in the gallery as a bonus extra. Though, even if the songs have to be replaced, I'd be content with it.

3. Harper

Harper

I'm wondering if the "never before seen" content in the gallery is stuff about Sonic 3's development. When compared to Sonic 1 and 2, we don't have much concept art released for Sonic 3. Also hoping we have fixed up versions of the prototype tracks but I'm not expecting it.

4. jbr

jbr

I'm aware I'm probably the only person in the world who thinks this, but I prefer MJ CNZ. The proto one is fun and catchy, and I do like it, but Sonic is full of fun catchy songs already. MJ CNZ is a bolder piece of music - it changes its character from softly pumping carnival bass to mad, jarring lead parts, with abrupt stops and glass breaking effects. Perhaps it's not what people want from a video game soundtrack, but I think it's musically quite interesting and pretty different from anything else in the Sonic repertoire. It adds colour to the game for me.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  5. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    Proto and final carnival night are one of the more equal matches in my opinion, but I personally have to prefer the final just because of the really punchy instrumentation.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    I just hate circus music :oldbie:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    The final version of Sonic 3 made some pretty sound music decisions in my honest opinion when it came to the levels themselves. Nothing feels out of place with the levels. The only reason some people now prefer the proto tracks is simply because they were in an unfinished version of the game when not long ago many of the same people preferred the final tracks. I'm very interested in what comes out of Sonic Origins in regards to which gets used.

8. Unidasu

Unidasu

The real reason that some people prefer the prototype tracks is that they were done in-house by Sega's composers who did most of the soundtrack anyway. Carnival Night 2 proto for example has identical chord progression to Hydrocity 2, so it's safe to assume they were done by the same composer. The final tracks were replacements done by the MJ-Buxer team and even back then they stood out due to their unique sample usage and lackluster Act 2 mixes. The Sonic 3 soundtrack as released is approximately 80% Sega and 20% MJ-Buxer team, the prototype just gave us the missing 20% from Sega.

9. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    EDIT: Ninja'd

That is actually not the only truth. The innovation in the MJ tracks comes mainly from the avant-garde sample usage which kinda masks the fact there's only (barely) one channel available for the drums.

That innovation raises a problem, though. The DAC inside the Genesis isn't the best and the Sonic 3 driver introduces other problems on the playback, so the end result is an average FM arrangement with an edgy but deeply distorted percussion. Seriously, listen to Carnival Night with no Drums... it's a very forgettable arrangement. (I won't touch the empty Act 2 remixes because some people here like them).

What I like about the proto songs is that they take advantage of what the Mega Drive has to offer. The Genesis can't make songs mimicking real samples but it can do relatively high polyphony (5FM+2PSG+Noise+DAC) and has nice LFO effects you can apply to multiple channels. That's what the Japanese composers on the SEGA team usually explore. I mean, final Carnival Night is edgy but it would undoubtedly sound better on the SNES. Now, the SNES would never be able to reproduce proto CNz with the same clarity. I love the SEGA sound and the MJ tracks don't have it.

TLDR: Hidrocity is my favorite track in S3 Final and CN2 and LB2 sound like it so I'm gonna defend them until I die.

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    • Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • List
  10. astroblema

astroblema

my name means "star wound" Member
    Chile
    It's a secret!
    this.

11. Aesculapius Piranha

Aesculapius Piranha

つづく Oldbie
    Unknown
    Diva
    The only thing I like about CNZ is the act 2 boss, which thinking about it comes with the added bonus of "I'm glad I am done playing that level."

12. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Carnival Night's design is awesome, many multiple routes and Knuckles messing with the water level in act2 is badass. Well...aside from that annoying barrel and the Eggman act2 boss is like one of the toughest bosses to beat in S3 without getting wrecked. It's a fun bouncy playground. I really like how act2 starts-how with skill you can take either one of two short-cuts which avoids the slower water sequence at the start of this act.

13. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I have the exact opposite opinion lol. I've always thought carnival night felt like a hastily designed mess where you're constantly being pushed around for no real reason and it feels like the stage geometry repeats over and over. The water feels just pointless to me because its barely there, and the act 2 boss is just easily put down by insta shield spam in the first 5 seconds.

14. Blue Blood

Blue Blood

Gonna jump on the bandwagon and reply to this hot take.

Video game soundtracks are integral to the experience. And that doesn't get more true for any series than it is for Sonic, wherein every level has a unique theme to match the visuals and gameplay to deliver a certain final experience. As a child, my most played game was probably S3K. And this was probably the case right up until I got a Gamecube as a teenager. BUT, it was the PC version of S3K that I had and not the Mega Drive version. I only had S1, S2 and SK for the Mega Drive. All of the prototype/PC tracks were unique to the S3 half of the game, so for years I had no idea that the Mega Drive versions even existed. I've grown to love the Mega Drive version of Ice Cap and can tolerate both Carnival Night and Launch Base, but none of them have ever sounded right to me. The style of their compositions really contrasts with the rest of the game, and the Act 2 variants are weak. They're objectively compositional outliers to not just the rest of the S3K soundtracks, but also S1, S2 and S3D on Mega Drive.

Maybe some people prefer the prototype tracks because it's what they knew first, and that first association is something that sticks with people. Just look at SCD soundtrack across regions, the S3D soundtrack across platforms or indeed the Colours and Colours Ultimate soundtracks in a few years time. And maybe some people prefer the prototype tracks because they're more in-line with what they expect from Sonic. And maybe the opposites of both of these statements are true for other people.

It's almost as if we're all just very biased when it comes to something as subjective as this...

Last edited: May 29, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  15. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    99.9% of the time I usually just stick with the final version of a game as what the developer intended it to be. That said, I'm aware I might of stirred up the hive a bit with my previous post. I feel there is a reason the developers probably used some of the MJ tracks and that might be down to how they liked the feel of them in the levels themselves. As far as the PC version using the proto tracks, it's just down to the Genesis can do what the PC couldn't at the time.

For the record I grew up with Sonic 1, 2, 3 and S&K on the Genesis. I played these games since I was in my single digits as far as age goes. I didn't even get around to playing the PC version until I was a teen and the music changes were a little jarring for me at first and for the longest time I thought the proto tracks were just composed for the PC version.

It doesn't matter which version people like as long as it isn't "screw the MJ tracks 'cause the proto tracks are the original" crowd shouting at the top of their lungs. I called out a small subset of people with my previous post. I should of written it better.

16. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    I like the proto tracks more than the final, Ice Cap being the only exception. I think the soundtrack with the prototype tracks fit more consistently with the rest of the game's soundtrack especially when played with both Sonic 3 and K combined. The Brad Buxer tracks seem out of place in comparison to the rest of the soundtrack and they aren't compositionally as interesting as the prototype equivalent. You can tell that the crew that wrote the prototype tracks and the rest of the game's score have composed for a video game before.

I have a theory that the reason why the tracks Buxer's crew made were chosen for most of the songs were possibly for the same reason why Sonic CD's soundtrack got almost completely replaced at the last minute for the American release - they might've thought the Buxer tracks would resonate with an American audience more than the "Japanese" tracks.

(I'm also pretty biased for the prototype tracks for obvious reasons, of course. :P)

17. Iggy for Short

Iggy for Short

As someone who grew up with the Genesis version (plus ports of it), I'd miss release Ice Cap, but Proto Carnival Night is a bop, and Launch Base I could go either way on.

If we do get the prototype tracks, I wonder how "final" the versions we've all now heard are. Would SEGA/TaxStealth touch them up? Leave them as-is? Might there be later versions from the original development that could be thrown in?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. I would love to live in a alternative reality where instead, Yuzo Koshiro composed the Marble-Carnival-Launch tracks.

19. jubbalub

jubbalub

#1 Sonic Superstars defender Member
    I've accepted that whatever happens with the soundtrack people will be mad anyway so

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  20. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The only way of me being mad would be if they replaced the tracks with newly-made bootlegs, just like the ones in Lego Dimensions.

Last edited: May 31, 2022