don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. FollOw

FollOw

The sun sets forever over Black Water Park Oldbie
    I saw the Lsupersonicq video on this a few weeks back. So happy this screen was found so easily.

2. Azookara

Azookara

yup Member
    Is that... mohawk Sonic?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  3. I’ve recently come across a few people mentioning a lack of gondolas in Sonic 06’s PS3 version. Well, I noticed a few earlier that spawn near the entrance to the forest area. I’m not sure if the people I saw talking about this meant there were fewer or none at all, but I want to confirm they do exist.

Furthermore, after reading some super old comment on here and checking, it appears that the game lags considerably less when the console is set to 720p. I wish I was aware of that a few months ago when I decided to replay it.

Anyway… pretty worthless info but my PS3 was hooked up after confirming the Japanese name of the Chaos Energy Cannon in Unleashed and I got an urge to play 06.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  4. AeonicB

AeonicB

Oldbie
    Freelance
    If I had to guess, they redrew the picture in an early computer paint program-- probably DPaint.

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Further to this post:

[​IMG]

Earlier issues of Sonic the Comic make a mistake, calling the Charmy Bee, "Charmee Bee". It's not a one-off either, although it was corrected to "Charmy" by the time of the Brootherhood of Metallix.

They obviously made a mistake, as no other media uses this name...

[​IMG]

Oh.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • List
  6. Sonic Warrior TJ

Sonic Warrior TJ

Have an ice time Member
    GA
    That ad also refers to Vector as an alligator rather than a crocodile. Probably just some miscommunication between Japan and the western marketing people.

7. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

That, or just ignorance. It happens.

8. Ted909

Ted909

the future kick your ass Member
  9. Asagoth

Asagoth

Behold! The mighty, the flawless, salted cod eater Member
    Portugal
    wiki stuff... and a beer... or two... or more...
  10. MainMemory

MainMemory

Kate the Wolf Tech Member
    SonLVL
    The Amy's Treasure Island minigame in Sonic Battle uses expanded versions of the exact map layouts for Emerald Beach, Chao Ruins, and Holy Summit from the battle mode, or perhaps the maps in the battle mode were cut down from these larger maps? upload_2022-5-20_13-19-32.png
    upload_2022-5-20_13-20-43.png
    upload_2022-5-20_13-22-7.png
    upload_2022-5-20_13-22-28.png

Edit: huh, that's interesting, the full map almost seems like it loops vertically.

• Informative Informative x 7
    • List
  11. Ayu Tsukimiya

Ayu Tsukimiya

UGUU~ Member
  12. Beltway

Beltway

The most grateful Sonic fan of all time this week Member
    Sega of Darkest Peru
    Artwork and classes
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  13. That’s super odd.

I’ve actually been looking into getting a modded 360 lately to play the game with the mod manager fixes + Legacy of Solaris. Sega has so little to lose with 06 it’d be huge if they just licensed the fixes from the mod manager (faster performance, better air movement, homing attack speed, unlocked mach speed air control, no bonking into stuff, etc.) and threw it in as a surprise update to the game. It’d never happen, but there’s seriously nowhere to go but up with this game.

I was recently watching this YouTuber, Pariah695, give his thoughts on the game. He was detailing some of the little control issues I could never put into words that severely impact the game’s feel. Things like not being able to move in the air after a homing attack or how your horizontal velocity is locked during a jump, etc. Apparently using the fixes from the mod manager really improves how the game feels to play which I’m interested in trying.

14. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    You want Sega to put time and resources into a 16 year old game that they never even bothered making backwards compatible with the Xbox One and Series X digitally?

Sega did this when '06 was still available and they were making already de-listed games compatible.

15. No, I wouldn’t. I just said it’d “be huge” as in a pleasant surprise. I think the popularity of P-06 has shown there is an audience for an improved version of 06.

16. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I mean, you could say that about any modding game scene.

17. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    This reply was a long time coming, I know, but I hadn't had a class with this kid in the interim. Today though, this same kid approached me all on his own and asked me "Do you know Sonic?" I said of course and tried to find out what his interest was in particular, but I didn't succeed. I asked him if he played the games, but he says he doesn't have any. I asked if he'd seen the movie, but he hadn't (the sequel isn't out here for 2 1/2 more months, so he obviously hasn't seen that one.) The most I could get from him was that his favorite character was Shadow.

Kids. They're a mystery.

Last edited: May 27, 2022
  18. I guess people just come across things. I was semi-obsessed with NiGHTS for years as a kid before getting around to playing it. Though that was encouraged by the appearances in Sonic games.

This was my favorite part lol.

19. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Fun fact: Sonic Blast, which was one of the very last Game Gear games to be published, was ignored by most of the gaming press when it launched. Nobody picked it up for review, so we don't know what contemporary opinions were - was it seen as a technical showpiece for the aging hardware, or as a middle-of-the-road Sonic outing that nobody talks about?

Well during some Sega Retro cleanups, I accidentally found a review from Spanish magazine Hobby Consolas:

https://segaretro.org/index.php?title=File:HobbyConsolas_ES_063.pdf&page=121

It's the only review we currently know of (although to be fair, I haven't been actively looking) and... uh... "83%".

Unfortunately Hobby Consolas is a random number generator that statistically gives games very high ratings and probably didn't play the games it was reviewing. Case in point, the awful port of Doom on the Saturn received 89% in the same issue. It's one of those tedious publishers who are so amazed by the very concept of video games, that its scale essentially starts at 70.

Still, at least we now have proof someone played it in 1996.

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
    • List