don't click here

Sonic the Hedgehog IDW Comic Megathread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Dark Sonic, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Despite the pacing issues, I am genuinely excited for Issue #50 and to see where this goes.

2. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Last edited: May 18, 2022
  3. Mecha Sally

Mecha Sally

Oldbie
    Figured this was the best place to post this. Linkara recently reviewed the Tangle and Whisper mini-series, and gave it a positive review!

• Informative Informative x 2
    • List
  4. Pengi

Pengi

There's no legal shit here. The game dev doesn't even remotely have a case. They're making a fool of themselves.

5. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I hope IDW legal team is more competent than Archie's.

Yes, I'm joking :V

6. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Honestly, why was this even posted? A cursory scroll down the account's media tab shows that the character looks nothing like Belle and clearly someone just wants a bit of easy publicity. Stop feeding the trolls.

7. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
    Yes. It's amusing, but nothing to see here and not worth feeding in to. :doge:

8. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    The only thing interesting to me is they're actually trying to issue DMCAs (and if I'm reading right, succeeded in a few, if only because of Twitters automated system and incompetency). If it's a troll, it's a very dedicated troll.

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
  10. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
    Can you provide a screenshot, please? The artist has me blocked, for reasons that have always baffled me as, to my knowledge, we have never interacted.

11. [​IMG]

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Yet, when you actually compare the actual designs, without him having added the Belle hair:

[​IMG]

13. ...they look nothing alike. Even if I was squinting 100 miles away, I'd still see they're nothing alike.

14. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    "Flexible? What a coincidence!"
    She's made of *wood*. She is not flexible.

Basically, they're trying to force a comparison to match.

15. Starduster

Starduster

Britain
  16. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Oh, it's a joke thing with Surge, here's a Youtube upload of the thing:

17. MootPoint

MootPoint

Clockwork Aquario's Strongest Soldier Member
    Only thing I'll say about the whole BoingKid situation that it's very annoying when stupid people are extremely confident in their own, made up narratives... Which is ironic as I part take in the Sonic Fandom, lol.

However, if he was actually serious, he would be filling a lawsuit against IDW, not sending takedown notices against random art on twitter. Either he's moronic or just wants the attention, which I feel is the latter.

The best thing we can do right now is ignore him and perhaps report his account, since he is abusing the copyright system.

Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2022
  18. Linkabel

Linkabel

So if I'm following this correctly this person said they contacted IDW about them helping distributing 2 Boingkid comic issues in 2019, didn't receive an answer, and this interaction led to IDW stealing the concept and used it for Belle?

It's going to sound mean, I totally get the feeling of creating something, it could be whatever, and wanting that thing to get a big recognition and praise.

But a lot of these controversies strike me as sort of a "bitter blowback" if you will in the sense that sometimes those creations don't succeed as much as we want to, so those feelings start to cloud your judgment and might make you lash out.

And this could apply to many other scenarios, like not succeeding in a career etc etc.

Have companies unfortunately have taken pitches, ignore or deny them, and then used it to create their own things? Yes.

Is it likely this happened with Belle? I would say no.

And if this person really thinks that happened then he should go after IDW legally instead of abusing the takedown notice against artists and fans.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    People have been feeling this way without any real base to it for years. Just ask J. Michael Straczynski, creator of Babylon 5, what he thinks about Star Trek: Deep Space 9...