don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    Well, Sonic does start in a different part of Mushroom Hill Zone in the standalone instead of that area above a giant ring. That just gives you one less chance to get all the Emeralds by the end of Mushroom Hill Zone Act 2.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  2. Josh Cristan

Josh Cristan

It's Sega being greedy, not you for wanting them to put stuff in. Sega is asking for money, and offering very little to sweeten the deal for the fans who have played these classics to death.

I don't think the 8 bit exclusive zones from Sonic 1, the lost zones of Sonic 2 (that aren't Hidden Palace) and the competition zones from 3 realised as full zones is that big of an ask to be honest.

3. Pengi

Pengi

I think asking for 10+ brand new Zones is a HUGE ask.

4. E-122-Psi

E-122-Psi

I guess I consider them more extras. I consider it amazing we got an official Hidden Palace in the first place.

Like there's other things I consider extras, but things that would add onto the core game, and are usually the top of a checklist for any 'fixed' version of the game (admitedly a lot of them were added to the remakes in the first place, like spin dash in Sonic 1, or Tails flying and a more developed 2 player mode in Sonic 2).

Besides it's not like SEGA aren't trying at all in regards to extras, such as the lovely animations and mission mode. They kinda ruined their buzz by adding loads of different releases, but I consider that typical money hungry SEGA since they are superfluous anyway. If they hid half the basic package under an extra price tag I'd be annoyed but it's just odds and ends.

5. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Right so it's worse.

6. Zephyr

Zephyr

US
    I've played the original versions to death, but I've never played the TaxStealth remakes of 1 and 2.

7. RetroJordan91

RetroJordan91

The REAL Blue Sphere Guy Member
    I had already known that whatever was shown in that proof of concept was all that was done; but it’s very intriguing to read about the technical side of remastering the game.. I had a hunch that RSDKv5 would have been the way to go when it comes to 3&K considering how huge the game is but I give Stealth/Headcannon major props for going above and beyond with this.

It’s really disheartening to see and read people immediately brush this particular remaster off by saying “it’s 8 years too late” or “just stick with 3 AIR, it offers a lot more” when they haven’t even played the damn game yet. It’s about supporting these people who worked together to make this remaster a reality, via the Retro Engine nonetheless. My faith is very strong for this and I am confident it will be just as good as 3 AIR.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Shaddy the guy

Shaddy the guy

Professional Internet asshole Member
    OR
    I think that the main positives about this is that the more Tax n' Stealth work with SEGA on any project, the better. I'm sure the game will be perfectly solid, but it also helps put to bed a lot of the weird myths about SEGA secretly hating the people who made them giant piles of money just because Mania reviewed well.

9. RikohZX

RikohZX

I've actually been barely playing anything past the first couple zones on the old games, even when emulating them in what was planned to be full runthroughs of Sonic Jam (until input lag killed it for me), just to get my mind clear and ready for Origins so I can play through everything in full after years of not beating anything but 3&K. And to be open-minded about what's there and what isn't with the Story Mode and the porting jobs.

And even then 3&K is so damn good that every time I start AIR, I have to remember this guideline because I've already played all the way to Mushroom Hill with all seven Chaos Emeralds. Yet again.

10. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Hey, in all fairness, P-06 actually makes the Sonic 06 stages a lot better.

11. Man

I come in here after a while just to check up on things and damn- everyone is just so needlessly negative and ungrateful. Like, I get it... no Knuckles in CD, gameplay inconsistencies, missing features- I care about all of that too. But people seem to have forgotten that up until the animated trailer dropped, everyone online claimed that they would be perfectly content with nothing more than official console releases of the taxstealth ports with Sonic 3 included.

Sega delivered. They more than delivered. There's a whole slew of bonus features, extra modes, completely new content, etc that we've gotten all wrapped up in a taxstealth bow. But nope, apparently that never has been and never will be good enough for some. Good lord...

I don't even need the taxstealth versions of these games. As long as I have them in 60fps 720p on my switch, I'm set for life.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  13. Laura

Laura

Brightened Eyes Member
    Also just about Mega Collection. I think it needs to be put in its context. If you didn't have a computer capable of emulating Genesis games then it was the only way to play the games on modern hardware. It wasn't just convenient, it was the only way to do it.

And back then, Sonic 3 was virtually impossible to purchase. Not sure if this was just a UK thing, but in the late 90s Sonic 3 was incredibly rate and you had to get extremely lucky to find it second hand. I got my parents to buy it for £60 in 2000. Lol. So one of Mega Collections huge perks was that it had Sonic 3.

It wasnt perfect by any means. Jam was better. But in the context of what it served Mega Collection was fantastic.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. RikohZX

RikohZX

Now imagine if Sonic 3 did go with the 3D chip that made Virtua Racing $100 in 1994.

15. charcoal

charcoal

Be Cool, Be Wild, and Be Groovy Member
    I still don't get the sonic jam love. It had cool bonuses then but the real point of it all, the genesis games, ran like shit with constant slowdown, at least in my experiences of playing it.

16. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Don't recall everyone claiming that. From what I remember, most people wanted Sonic 3D, Spinball, Chaotix, 8-bit games etc.

Mission mode, cutscenes, and a movable camera on menus (if you pay extra) doesn't really constitute "a whole slew of bonus features" in my opinion.

I already own Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic CD on the Xbox One (...and many other platforms, but that's the relevant one). The latter of these is already the Taxman version, and I have the Taxstealth versions of 1 & 2 on my phone as well. The only thing new here is "another version of S3K" - which is definitely of interest to me, but not I'm not paying $40 for another version of a thing I already have many versions of, something ColinC10 made for free a decade ago and some videos that'll be all over YouTube before the game releases anyway.

I don't think that's ungrateful. It's just not good value for money, at least not for me, and not for others who are complaining. To characterise it as "nothing will ever be good enough for some" is incredibly dismissive.

17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    Yes, and my point is a huge chunk of people love Mega Collection and used it as a means to discover and play the hell out of the classics while Origins will be a superior version of the games in virtually every way and yet people here are acting like it'll be the Gameboy 1 Sonic port of compilations with some of their complaints.

Like Josh in the above Jam video, I found Mega collection disappointing as hell, but it didn't matter. For an entire generation of gamers it was THE way to play those games, and that's okay. When all is said and done, hopefully Origins will be that too.

18. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

IT'S MAY 20TH MY FRIENDS!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. Ritz

Ritz

Subhedgehog Member
    I don't know if it's because of Origins or the movie, but this Chaotix gif set I threw up on Tumblr 6 years ago went viral out of the blue this month. Lisa Frank colors are like crack cocaine for zoomers, I guess. It's heartening to see that these graphics have timeless appeal, but it's weird that SEGA's steadfast refusal to port the game means it needs to be rediscovered by the community every 10 years. A lot of money being left on the table over their bizarre internal hatred for the game.