don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Yup, the Chaos Emeralds are significantly large, about Knuckles-sized, on the altar pillars in the past, as opposed to palm sized otherwise.

I'll grab screenshots once done with work, on break.

2. RDNexus

RDNexus

It might've been an aesthetic oversight, so that they'd be visible enough to the players.

3. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    [​IMG]

A quick comparison from Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles (Beta screenshot but too lazy to plug in the Tower of Power) shows them to be of similar size:
    [​IMG]
    They're also animated, I think unique to this time frame, so this is a conscious effort.

4. Pengi

Pengi

Well, not an oversight, they intentionally created larger models. But yeah, you wouldn't be able to see them if they were their regular size. That's almost certainly the behind the scenes reason.

They're also big in the replica emerald shrine at the end of Sonic Adventure 2, so it's not a Past vs Present difference. Sonic says the replica shrine must have been built to draw out the Chaos Emeralds' power. When Sonic and Shadow pull the Chaos Emeralds towards them, they're smaller again.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Indeed, for some reason it's altars specifically that seem to have them change to Super Emeralds, if the trend is any indication.

6. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

If the altars are able to change the emeralds into Super Emeralds, then that explains why they built that replica in the ARK. They could have just attached the emeralds to an energy-sucking machine or something, but doing so wouldn't unlock their full power. Like Sonic said, the altar made it possible to draw out their power.

Last edited: May 19, 2022
  7. Plorpus

Plorpus

Hog Blue So What Member
    Hyper Sonic isn’t canon so I would imagine the super emeralds aren’t either. The chaos emeralds and master emerald all change size depending on the game, level, and scene.

8. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Whether Hyper Sonic is canon or not, the fact the stone replicas in Mania are the size of the Super Emeralds and fit the Hidden Palace altar seems to imply that the Super Emeralds are canon.

Btw, your new avatar just makes me go ಠ_ಠ

9. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Sonic Mania has brought the Super Emeralds back to canon, if only due to replicas supplying confirmation. That means they're canon to the main timeline, since they were the same timeline to a point, still the same if I have my way.

Hyper Sonic is still debatable, but I'd say it's just a Super Super form and probably not going to be seen again unless the Chaos Emeralds are at an intact altar. Canon but never seen again.

10. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Hyper Sonic may be canon in the Classic dimension and non canon in the Modern dimension.

We can always complicate things.

11. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    I will fite you, m8!

(I joke)

But nah, can't be, unless Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles didn't happen in the modern dimension. I wonder if Story Mode in Sonic Origins will acknowledge the transformation?

12. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Imagine if S3&K happens only in the Classic dimension, while in the Modern dimension what happens is S3 + SK separatedly. :V

13. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    And that's why you have SEGA saying Sonic and Knuckles' campaigns happen at the same time...

14. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Not possible. The Death Egg got blown to smithereens in the S3 ending :V

15. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

10:16
    - Some people believe that secret rings and black knigth are dreams or inventions of sonic, can you confirm?

- As far as I know, you're supposed to take him at face value and that Sonic got beamed into the books. I prefer to think of it that way. I don't have, like, official confirmation one way or the other but I haven't asked. But I'm pretty sure you can just take it at face value. Sonic went into a couple of books.

16:00
    - If Chaos is a mutation of a Chao, could anthropomorphic animals (like Sonic) have originated from mutations of regular animals? Maybe a real hedgehog has been playing with a Chaos Emerald a long time ago?

- Maybe? I don't want to outright say "no", because then I'll be proven wrong later, I'm sure. I can't say that's not possible.

[or was it "I can say that's not impossible"? I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem to matter.]

Last edited: May 20, 2022
  16. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

While I believe that from an out of universe standpoint the parallels is intentional, I don't think Gerald intentionally based Biolizard on Perfect Chaos in universe, no. Its growing due to mutations seemed like an accident based on how it is described rather than intentional design
    Mania seems to suggests otherwise, but hey, they can always change things further. My gut says that they will just have Hyper as not part of the story though. Either that or explain how "Hyper" is just "Super" but upgraded, and the emeralds just permanently changed after Sonic 3 or something.

17. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

6:11
    - After learning how strict Sega can be with some character traits like Knuckles not leaving the Master Emerald unguarded I was wondering how strict are they about Blaze appearing in Sonic's dimension more often and with no world-ending stakes involved; like Blaze taking a day off to pay a casual visit since her kingdom is at peace or like showing up to help with a small threat as a sign of gratitude to Sonic, I think the powers that be should try to give her more time in the spotlight since she's one of the main characters with so much potential and still very few stories in both games and comics.

- It's especially frustrating because there was a piece of official art that came out not too long ago of Knuckles just visiting Metal City with luggage. He's just on a trip, and I was like 'Oh so he can leave the island?'. As for Blaze, you're right, and I'm just gonna have to leave this with a hashtag #KnowingSmile.

Interesting, isn't it?

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  18. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    I wonder if #KnowingSmile means the new game or comics? Comics probably, but it would still be cool to see Blaze again in some form.

19. _Sidle

_Sidle

Almost assuredly the comics, as one cover for the upcoming 2022 Annual has Blaze hanging out with Cream somewhere tropical.
    [​IMG]

20. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

1:37
    - Ian, you've mentioned multiple times throughout the Bumblekasts how Sega often gives you notes to write certain characters, objects, things etc. in certain ways. Are these notes "two way streets" in terms of communication where you can question why they want it this way and perhaps offer suggestions and/or compromises or do you have to grit your teeth, do what you're told, and deal with any flak? Has there ever been a case where they gave you a note, you explain why you wrote something that way, and Sega agreed you were right? For cases like Shadow one from the Zombot arc and the Master Emerald one recently where you appear to ask for clarification or more explanation and might not get one, do you ever point out previous official works and ask why it's different now or is there more to it?

- In general we don't have the luxury or time for back and forth. So 9 times out of 10, if something comes down from Sega is just you roll with it. In the past, like Archie days, there really wasn't any back and forth. If there were something like truly egregious, we would ask about it, but I can't think of a time where we got it changed back or have got a middle ground or something. There may have been, but it's been a long time. Nowadays, the IDW-Sega relationship is different and I feel there is a better dialogue, this time around. (...) Most of the time though, if they have an understanding of something or a desire for the way things to be represented, that's how it is. There really isn't a lot of back and forth or 'you said this this time or that that time', because that is usually answered with 'well that is how it is now'. (...) I would say though there have been a few notes I've gotten that were more of 'we think this would be neat. Do you agree?', which is very, very different than the Archie days. So, overall, I think things are trending in a positive direction.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List