don't click here

The Sonic the Hedgehog Continuity Thread of Love and Timelines

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by dredd, Jul 6, 2020.

1. Pengi

Pengi

It's a matter of fact versus fan theory. You said that Gerald canonically studied the Chaos mural. We don't know that. The game never says that. All we know is that Gerald knew enough about Chaos to create the Artificial Chaos series. We don't know that he studied that one specific mural of Chaos from Sonic Adventure. That's conjecture. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it as a theory, but it's not canon.

It's a mystery. There doesn't appear to be any official explanation.

Which guide books? Is there a scan or quote available online?

2. shilz

shilz

getting my daily allowance of vitamin kk
    Could have wanted to be strong enough to protect the other Chao, and turning into Chaos is how that manifested. Could have even been a "Chaos Chao" before this watching over the generations with its immortality.

3. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Overthinking Sonic timelines. Member
    Was it ever confirmed if Chaos mutated from a Chao due to the Chaos Emeralds or the Master Emerald or anything else?

4. ChaddyFantome

ChaddyFantome

In believe it was stated in the Japanese Sonic Adventure 1 guidebook. It was due to exposure to the Master Emerald iirc.

5. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

Thank you, it's nice to get confirmation at last.

While we don't know for certain whether or not Gerald studied the Chaos mural, the ARK shows more connections to Angel Island than the Artificial Chaos. It had that recreation of the Emerald Altar, which took Knuckles aback. The area where it was located also featured architecture in the same style as the Knuckles Clan's, which sticks out like a sore thumb in a space colony. It even had Lost World's water slide, as ChaddyFantome mentioned. So it's pretty much a given that Gerald studied Angel Island.

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  6. Forte

Forte

I speak better after three beers Member
    Poland
    Considering all the similarities, could it be possible - that Biolizard is based on Perfect Chaos or some other "God" that we yet don't know about?

Isn't there some dragon, or other scrapped deity from Sonic 3?

7. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Honestly, everyone's chalked that up to Perfect Chaos at this point, but apparently it was of a dragon... built by... Robotnik... and fought by Super Sonic in... space...

huh...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Pengi

Pengi

It has never been clarified what caused Chaos to mutate. (Maybe he was just born that way?)

Or, if it has, nobody has been able to provide an official source.

For sure. I was just disputing the notion that Gerald canonically studied the Chaos mural we see in Lost World in SA1. We need to make the distinction between official information and plausible fan theory.

As for the rest of it, I think it's also important to make the distinction between the ancient Mystic Ruins and Angel Island. The Lost World pyramid isn't part of Angel Island. Gerald knew what the emerald altar looked like, but that used to be part of the Mystic Ruins, so he could have gained that knowledge from historical records on the planet's surface. Gerald didn't necessarily ever confirm the existence of Angel Island. By the time of Sonic 3, it was still just a legend as far as the people on the surface were concerned.

9. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

My fanon sequence of events is:
    - Gerald creates Biolizard from a simple regular lizard because it could regenerate itself, but it didn't work quite well;
    - Gerald attempts to create an Ultimate Life Form from Chao, trying to replicate Chaos, and it didn't work either;
    - Black Doom helps Gerald create Shadow

10. Yeah, thanks for posting where it was a while back. Your old comment was one of the only Google results when I was searching the term. I wanted to tag you in my confirmation but lost the tab on my phone lol.

11. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

21:12
    - It's fine if you can't quite answer [this] yet, but the previews of the 3D islands in Origins seem to suggest that Little Planet is chained up to an island itself. So I have to ask: has Never Lake just been on an island this whole time? What's the island's name, does it even have a name? Could this be North or East Side Island!? And would Sonic 4 episode 1's island be one of those too? Would 4 episode 2 take place on the same island as Never Lake?? I need answers Ian!!

- My understanding is yes, Never Lake is on an island now and it has to be the same island from Sonic 4. Keep in mind that Episode 1 and Episode 2 do take place on the same land mass. The maps are interconnected, kind of vaguely, and it's not perfectly defined. It's not like it's rendered in a realistic fashion, where the zone placement is, but it's all reasonably within the same area. I think Sylvania Castle is right there on the cusp of Never Lake. So it should be all part of the same geography, in theory.

46:24
    - I'm a big fan of Silver Sonic (or Mecha Sonic, if you prefer), and wondered how you see him. Does he still exist in the modern brand? He and Metal usually fight in different ways, is it fair to say Eggman built him for different purposes? Head of security? Or is he just a spare?

- Mecha Sonic should be still on the table, because he was in Sonic Adventure. Version 3 is in the tube of... Hot Shelter? You got Metal Sonic in one tube and Mecha Sonic 3 in the other one. So he should be available. In terms of usage I think it's just a different mentality of construction. Metal Sonic is meant to be pure emulation while Mecha Sonic is built to overpower in a more traditional brute force Eggman's sort of way. He's bigger, he's stronger, he's more armored. If you can't beat Sonic in his own game you just beat him into a bloody pulp and still claim victory. (...) Mecha 2 was still faster than Mecha 1, to be sure, but you compare the way Mecha 2 moves to the way Metal Sonic is able to just zip around and I still feel like the Mecha line is a little more clunky in comparison.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  12. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    Well at least we get the subtle confirmation that Sonic the Hedgehog CD goes into Sonic the Hedgehog 4 still, so Classic is still transitioning into Modern.

Makes sense that Sylvania Castle is on Never Lake. Considering the shot of the Never Lake in Sonic the Hedgehog CD and the single river, and we see a similar river in Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode II...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I'd wager Robotnik built that face in the mountain on the side of Sylvania Castle, which is where the inlet is, or just to the left of the Castle: Sylvania Castle seems elevated, which is why I'd say on the side.

13. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

30:23
    - I'm gonna bite the bullet and ask: Is Sonic Origins's story mode canon? Does it follow the plot of the classics as closely as possible? Or has it retroactively retconned how some things happened?

- I probably shouldn't talk about this all that much, but I think I can say safely that, yes, the Sonic Origins' story mode is canon. And I'm just going to leave it at that for now.

34:35
    - So im curious about the properties of the super emeralds. We know the chaos emeralds turn into super emeralds but did the super emeralds turn BACK into chaos emeralds? If so whats up with those giant leftover emeralds in Hidden Palace in Mania? Am i still sane after typing "emeralds" that many times? Is Kyle still sane after reading "emeralds" that many times?! Im so confused!

- I have no idea what the Super Emeralds deal is. The normal Emeralds came back post Sonic 3 and Knuckles, because we've seen them after that, but the nature of the Super Emeralds is a gigantic question mark.

14. Xiao Hayes

Xiao Hayes

Classic Eggman art Member
    Mirage Island, the island in S4 is called that way. Some years ago there was an article on the front page of Retro when the name was revealed.

15. MykonosFan

MykonosFan

MODE CHANGE. Moderator
  16. raphael_fc

raphael_fc

Everything is semi-canon.

17. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Everything is Aaron.

18. BlackHole

BlackHole

England
    Complaining
    The Super Emeralds are implied in Sonic Adventure as well, so it's not really just Sonic the Hedgehog 3 & Knuckles.

19. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Could you provide a source on that? That's a pretty big assertion.

20. I’m pretty sure he just means the emeralds surrounding the Master Emerald altar in the past.