don't click here

The Sonic Merchandise Topic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Retro_Stew, Jul 11, 2011.

1. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

The Sonic movie 2 happy meal has arrived in the UK. Do we get the kinda ugly toys everywhere else got?

Nope, we get bits of cardboard and a book! Whoooooooo

Attached Files:

2. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Australia (apparently) and the US have paper toys as well.

In America's case they were not advertised. I have them all though.

3. My gf and I noticed the paper cutout crap the other day and we spoke about how far the Happy Meal toys have fallen. I didn’t imagine they could get any worse than the little cruddy plastic figures but they sure proved me wrong lol.

That said, I do remember trying very hard to get the LCD Sonic games around the time Heroes released. It was Heroes, right? I think they rebranded them later as well.

4. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Isn't there a reason why some countries ban the toys? I'm guessing choking hazard related. That or possibly environmental measures trying to curb plastic use.

But that paper garbage what even is that? I'd rather get nothing.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  5. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    Heroes was the first run of them. They made even more for something else that included other Sega properties.

They are mazes with Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles cardboard tokens. The aim is to get to the end of the maze which has a Chaos Emerald.

For America there are 13 toys, 8 plastic 5 of these cardboard mazes.

There are actually 10 plastic toys. Other regions (such as Canada and Australia) have a third Tails and Knuckles toy.

6. Boxer Hockey

Boxer Hockey

It's a plastic waste initiative, yes

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. itskidchameleon

itskidchameleon

choosing to beieve the book is a lie because I've ordered FIVE Happy Meals specifically asking for the book so far and received one of those... "toys" each time >_<

8. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Spain got the MC Donalds toys today, it's the carton thing. Way to dissapoint people who was eager to go toy hunting again at MCDonalds, like they did back in heroes, Sonic X and Sonic 3 promotions.
    Oh well, I guess kids like that shit? (probably not)

9. BartG

BartG

Poland
    We got those too in Poland but I don't think we got the book. There were like 4 books as an option but I didn't get to see what they were. Unlikely that they were Sonic related since they're not mentioned on the website and I don't see them popping up on auction sites either.

10. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
    I know that Portugal at least got the cardboard stuff since I've seen a Tails one.

11. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I was sorely disappointed that there weren’t any plush toys or something for Sonic 2 this year (I don’t care if I’m 20 years too old :eng99:) I know McDonalds UK don’t use plastic anymore which is great, but what’s a happy meal if you don’t get anything from it? As a kid I would have been disinterested in pop out cardboard things. If they’d have done something like a mini Where’s Sonic book that would have been cool.

I wonder if Happy Meal sales have been affected by the change this past year…

Last edited: May 15, 2022
  12. RDNexus

RDNexus

Yep, the crappy cardboard stuff.
    I cringed hard when I saw them.
    Nice movie, crappy merch stuff.

13. itskidchameleon

itskidchameleon

feel like sales dooubtlessly would be affected, but a "coincidental" side-effect of their new eco-friendliness is that the current "toys" cost significantly less money to produce. so while there will likely be a drop in sales directly correlating to the toys themselves, they're probably not in a position where it's gonna hurt them.

Honestly always kind of assumed they'd be taking a relative loss on Happy Meal sales anyway, under an assumption that they encouraged better sales for other products when parents bought food for themselves alongside a HM or two for their kids

The toys were always cool, but looking at it as an adult there's no way it was a financially viable concept. they're probably kicking themselve they didn't think of using environmentalism as an excuse to lean away from it sooner.

waaaait a second. Sonic X promotion? what was that? I don't think we had that in the UK

Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2022
  14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Don't double post, please.

15. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Not had a proper look through this thread, but any ideas as to why the 30th Anniversary version of Tails is a funny yellowy-green colour compared to the orange/yellow one on the left?
    [​IMG]

16. qwertysonic

qwertysonic

creating the biggest sonic collection
    There's an off-color Sonic as well. It looks stupid.

17. Antheraea

Antheraea

Bug Hunter Member
    LMAO they're straight up releasing shinies of Sonic characters. Check out the sparkles on the packaging there.

18. I've seen a recolor of Knuckles in Target stores too. They all look bad.

19. itskidchameleon

itskidchameleon

[​IMG]

yeah, blows my mind that when they were sitting around in their boardroom or whatever discussing what to do for a wave of toys celebrating Sonic's 30th Anniversary the pitches were Amy Rose and... these?

honestly just re-releasing the classic Sonic figure or something would've been less bad XD