don't click here

Sonic Origins Collection - General Thread

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by HEDGESMFG, May 27, 2021.

1. Mana

Mana

Good! Great! Awesome! Outstanding! Amazing! Member
    I don't know if I'll even like story mode if Tails can't follow you. I always choose Sonic and Tails mode whenever I play any Classic Sonic because I consider them to be a duo and I don't think I'd be able to play it any other way.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    And yet, most of you go "baw, Tails lost my rings in the Sonic 2 Special Stage" from time to time.

3. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Tails has exactly one use in the classic games:

(13:45 if it doesn't auto-jump there)

4. kyasarintsu

kyasarintsu

AI Tails was cute. That's enough reason to like him.
    He didn't need to be useful. He just needed to not be a burden during special stages and certain boss fights. Evidently people enjoy having him around enough to take the bad with the good.

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  5. Just because he holds us back doesn't mean we don't want him

6. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    Yeah, it feels lonely playing without Tails.
    I wish they had brought over buddy mode from Mania, so you can mix and match your companions.

7. Kobz

Kobz

Down on the Upside Member
    FLA
    Considering the OG games already omit Tails from zones where it makes sense to do so story-wise, such as Wing Fortress and Death Egg in Sonic 2, one could infer that it's canon for him to be by Sonic's side for the rest of the action.

In any case, I doubt they'd alter the default player arrangement for the two games in which he appears by removing him. The messaging about this on the website is vague, but it's more likely trying to convey that Sonic is the only "selectable" character for story mode.

8. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG

Oldbie
    In all serious, story mode has to have a save file (otherwise even very skilled players can take upwards of 3 hours to rush through all 4 titles, not to mention more average players taking much longer. No modern game will let someone go that long without saving), which means if it does, it has to register your emerald collection progress in some capacity. And if that's true, there has to be some trick to saving progression of your emerald collection abilities and some form of replay when you beat the game (Sonic 1-2 by stealth have this feature... )

So once again, I feel like there's more to the way the games would cross over abilities and "story" than we know. If they're all on the same RDSKV 5 engine, that allows for some interesting possibilities.

9. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    That seems to be an option outside of story mode - there’s been footage of Knuckles running alongside Tails in Emerald Hill.

10. sayonararobocop

sayonararobocop

Sonic + Tails is actually Sonic 2's hard mode!

11. big smile

big smile

Oldbie
    I think mobile Sonic 1 & 2 had the option of adding Tails to Sonic or Knuckles (and even Tails in the first release of Sonic 1, so you could get Tails and Tails which was cuteness overload), so I'm guessing that footage is something like that where you can just add Tails (but of course, I could be wrong).

I'd like them to do a true buddy mode where you can have Sonic & Knuckles as the companion, and maybe even switch between them and the main character (just like in Mania).

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Yea I wish they'd rebuild the whole partner system so when you start a new file you pick your main character and then an optional partner, allowing you to swap back and forth at will like Encore mode. It'd open so many more possibilities path wise, plus it'd get around the issue of the possibility of a Sonic & Knuckles run through of Sonic 3 where Sonic would still encounter Knuckles while having Knuckles as a partner. If you could switch characters a condition of having Knuckles on your team could be you'd have to take certain Knuckles paths and follow his story and not Sonic's (which isn't that far fetched, Sonic catches Knuckles on the tornado at the end of his story so he's clearly around somewhere)

13. Starduster

Starduster

Can bench press at least two Sonic the Hedgehogs Member
    Britain
    Fighting my procrastination addiction
    Truly a spiritual little brother

14. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    Do you all believe there's a chance Mighty and Ray will appear as DLC characters in the future? Sega's already shown us they're up for the idea of introducing new DLC characters from what we've seen with Sonic Mania Plus, and the character select screen has already showed us it could comfortably fit 2 new characters.

I'm putting my money on the idea that, if they do plan on adding DLC characters, it would be Mighty and Ray as opposed to Amy and Metal. Mighty and Ray have already appeared in a previous title, unlike Amy and Metal. Beyond that, Mighty and Ray already have more preexisting sprites and abilities, unlike Amy and Metal. For Mighty and Ray, all Sega would have to do is downgrade their Mania Plus sprites and perhaps pull some code for their abilities as well, in contrast, if they chose Amy and Metal they'd have to create all new sprites and figure out new abilities that fit 2D.

15. McAleeCh

McAleeCh

Oldbie
    ...Which could be because, in addition to the three solo characters we've seen displayed on that screen, there's also a Sonic & Tails and Knuckles & Tails mode - both of which were shown off in the trailer. Stick those either side of the options we've seen already and it'd fill up the current box perfectly.

Of course, I'd love to see DLC characters down the line (plus, y'know, Knuckles added to Sonic CD, which I think should be first on the list in terms of inclusions for a potential DLC expansions in future) - just trying to keep things grounded. I'm sure if they added further characters in future they'd just redesign the character select to expand it if required, anyway.

Since Amy's so prominent in the marketing for Origins due to the presence of Sonic CD, I'd say she'd be my first pick if a wholly new character were to be added. Would be good to change up the gameplay a little compared to the established characters, and Amy gives the opportunity to do exactly that. Plus then, it doesn't take away from Mania Plus being Mighty and Ray's "big return" if you play the games in release order, haha! ; )

Last edited: May 13, 2022
  16. Sai Start Marker

Sai Start Marker

Born in 1947 but made for the 90's Oldbie
    I'd very surprised if Tails doesn't show up in the Story mode sections of 2 and 3. I've always viewed the "canon story" to be Sonic & Tails for those games.

It probably won't happen, but if Story mode is just Sonic (and perhaps Tails tagging along in 2 and 3), a nice "epilogue" to be unlocked would be Knuckles' Sonic 3 campaign afterwards. Probably not, but I guess we'll see.

17. foXcollr

foXcollr

Resident Dolphin Member
    US
    Honestly, I could see them adding &Tails purely because that was the default in Sonic 2 and it would canonically make the most sense. You are still playing as Sonic, so it's not like that would deviate from what they said. But if he IS in Sonic 2 story mode, I hope to god they please just take him out of the special stages. Pleeeease

18. Londinium

Londinium

People actually read these? Member
    I'm fairly certain the mobile ports fixed Tails screwing you over in the special stages. I've played the mobile and Mega Drive games separately, managed to get all the emeralds fairly easily in the mobile port, but I literally couldn't stand Tails in the original, that's why I always choose Sonic alone when playing Sonic 2.

Thank God Tails doesn't lose your rings when he's hit in the final like in the beta, Sonic 2 would've been unplayable.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  19. TheOcelot

TheOcelot

Scooty Puff Jr sucks! Member
    Hope Proto Palace & the 8th special stage which Stealth & Taxman created for the S2 remaster can also be played in Origins.

20. Yash

Yash

CHOCOLATE! Member
    Bring back Egg Gauntlet!