don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Pengi

Pengi

From the initial posts about it, it sounds like this error can still appear when playing it in single player mode, on Game Gear hardware.

2. ashthedragon

ashthedragon

Sonic Paradise Researcher
    Spain
    Sonic Paradise & Sonic Ages
    Found this on ebay, out of curiosity... does anyone recognice what is? The auction did not say what game it is, only "Sonic the hedgehog PC game"
    [​IMG]

3. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Looking at the text on the outer ring it looks like this is a Sonic CD disc

4. darkmech

darkmech

"Pentium Processor Edition" (also known as the "Dino version"), version 1.01, of the Windows 95 port of the game Sonic CD. Bundled with some new computers as OEM software. Same soundtrack as the North American Sega CD version with the addition of tracks 36 to 42 in standard CD-DA format (Mega CD/Sega CD versions had them playable in-game only). Track 1 contains game data.

Tracks 2 and 36 to 42 are held over from the Japanese/European Mega CD version of the game and left uncredited in this release.

Tracks 26 and 27 are identical."

https://www.discogs.com/release/15040793-Spencer-Nilsen-David-Young-Sonic-CD

5. Xilla

Xilla

Was that noticeable "click" at the start of the Metallic Madness Past track in the original PC version ever fixed for subsequent rereleases?

6. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
  7. Chibisteven

Chibisteven

US
    I don't think this mastering error was ever fixed in later subsequent versions. There is a few mastering errors in the Windows 95 PC version that aren't present in the original Sega CD version at all.

The ending theme (track 35) is also omitted in the PC version and is replaced with a duplicate of track 2.

Last edited: May 6, 2022
  8. Lyrica

Lyrica

(Formerly: Donnyku) Oldbie
    Pennsylvania
    Wedding Planning
    That disc is the exact same as my copy of Sonic CD PC

9. Ch1pper

Ch1pper

Fighting the Battle of Who Could Care Less Member
    Life.
    …Which one?

10. RyogaMasaki

RyogaMasaki

0xffffffff Oldbie
    This is the OEM edition of Sonic CD PC, using the old DINO libraries before it used DirectX. It was distributed some new PCs back in the 90s. I had a copy of this when my family bought a Packard Bell circa 1996 or 1997 or so. I assume other PC manufacturers also had deals to include it.

11. JaxTH

JaxTH

Pudding Deity Oldbie
    Los Angeles
    Jack shit.
  12. kitsunebi

kitsunebi

Japan
    I don't know if this is the appropriate place to post this...maybe there IS no appropriate place to post this...but something truly extraordinary happened today and this is the only place I know that might recognize just how rare an event it was.

In school today, 6th graders were giving self-introduction speeches in English using profile cards on which they had drawn various things they like. And amongst all of the "cats" and "steak" and "ice cream" and "soccer," for the first time ever in the 14 years I've taught in Japan, a kid actually uttered the words "I like Sonic" as he pointed to a drawing that looked not unlike the infamous Sonic ice cream bar.

This was literally the most surprised I've ever been other than the time a kid wrote me a letter surrounded by drawings of the bosses from Mega Man 2 (released maybe 25 years before they were alive.)

13. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Akkk that makes me feel old. I mean Megaman 2 came out like a few years before I was born, but 25? Dang

14. Ha. Sounds like me back in 6th grade.

Did you find out which game/piece of media got him into it? Super curious to know what resonated with him.

Edit: Adding to this so I don't double post. I was one of the people taken by surprise by Ohshima saying that Sonic's shoes were folded boots. For some reason I wanted to see if Japanese media ever referred to Sonic's shoes as boots or sneakers, or if it's just another thing SoA just made up. I went through the Japanese manuals to see what the speed power-up is called considering the English manuals call it "power sneakers." They simply call that power-up "High Speed" in Japanese. Has anyone seen any Japanese media that refers to his shoes as sneakers? I only went through the manuals up to Sonic Adventure so far and I have only really checked out the pages referring to power-ups.

Edit 2: Ok, Labyrinth's Japanese manual confirms them as boots. And for some reason, the US manual refers to Sonic's original shoes as sneakers but the Eggman-invented shoes as boots. Weird.

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  15. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    This was something we explored a few years ago, because the internet was calling them "speed shoes", which wasn't backed up by any official media.

... and I'm pretty certain "Power Sneakers" is an American invention. As you said, the Japanese were fans of "high speed" (which I suppose kinda makes sense - Sonic doesn't change his footwear), but I don't know how well used the term "sneakers" is outside of the US. The Japanese Wikipedia is using the term "sneakers" but it looks more like a flat translation of the English version rather than a page tailored for Japan.

16. Yeah, Wikipedia in languages other than English is usually like that.

It's crazy how much of the lore we grew up with was the result of marketing/localisation teams at Sega of America or other companies rather than the actual creators' intent. I know it doesn't matter (lol), but it somewhat annoys me that companies do this to creative projects.

17. AnimatedAF

AnimatedAF

Has this early Sonic Drift screenshot been seen before? Includes Flicky as a playable character. Kind of looks like a mock up.

Never mind its on the wiki I should of checked lol. This does look like a higher quality scan of it though.

[​IMG]

Source

Last edited: May 12, 2022
  18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    re: sneakers

I'll never forget the instruction manual of the Game Gear version of Sonic 2. For whatever reason, they wrote "Uomo Serpente" (literally: "Snake Man") in the Italian translation. I guess they mixed up "snake" with "sneakers", but I'll never figure out where the "man" part came from. I'd scan it but I sold all my games a few years ago.

19. Blue Spikeball

Blue Spikeball

I loved how the western S1SMS manual named the checkpoint monitor "Arrow". They should have named the 1-up monitor "Disembodied Sonic Head" while they were at it :V

20. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy